How many instruments do you trade?

This is a discussion on How many instruments do you trade? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Most successful traders have only ever traded 1 market, becoming masters of its intricacies. You don't wanna become a jack ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:45pm   #16
Joined Jan 2014
Just 1

Most successful traders have only ever traded 1 market, becoming masters of its intricacies.
You don't wanna become a jack of all trades in trading.
HedgeFounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:06pm   #17
Joined Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeFounder View Post
Most successful traders have only ever traded 1 market, becoming masters of its intricacies.
You don't wanna become a jack of all trades in trading.
I agree HedgeFounder.

I trade one market, Treasury Futures, but I look at all three at the same time. 5 yr, 10 yr, and 30yr. Sometimes I trade the 10 yr, and other times I trade the 30 yr, but it is one market, sort of working in unison.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:04pm   #18

2 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Hi guys,

Nice subject

I think the more instruments you trade the less risky is your portfolio but the less chance you have to earn nice profits as your different positions could eventually encompass each other.

At the end of the day it would appear that the most important is not to focus on how many products but on what kind of products you would like to trade.

Then it depends on your risk appetite. Trading 20 products and allocating 30% into fixed income instruments and 70% into shares could be a good way to manage your portfolio from my point of view. What do you think about it?

http://www.scoop.it/u/investors-europe

Cheers
Alex
Investors Europe is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:32pm   #19
Joined Nov 2008
Spx

I trade SPX on one hour charts, no indicators, price action only
kwalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:02am   #20
tar

Joined Nov 2006
It depends , if you are a scalper then yes you should just specialize in 1-2 markets , but if you are a swing trader then its better to diversify and look for opportunities in different markets rather than sticking to just one instrument ....
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:25pm   #21

Joined Jan 2013
i just daytrade qqq, althought i'm considering trading of its more volatile underlying components like amzn and aapl.
jjames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:43am   #22

8 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
I trade multiple instruments, including different asset class. The markets doesn't trend all the times, sometimes we will see certain instruments trend nicely and very profitable to trade and other times, they are just consolidating which is difficult to trade. However, we need to take our trading style into considerations, for scalpers/day traders, it's obviously that they should focus on one single market or two.
P.I.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:23am   #23

2 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
I was just wondering if the majority of traders just focus on one instrument or multiples?
Me,just ftse and wall street daily binaries cable and eur/usd
0liver12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:36pm   #24
Joined Apr 2014
I prefer trading multiple instruments/indices. At least i dont have to stick with only 1 trade at a time. IMO, if ur strategy is good then it can be applied to other instruments as well
winner4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:01pm   #25

Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner4x View Post
I prefer trading multiple instruments/indices. At least i dont have to stick with only 1 trade at a time. IMO, if ur strategy is good then it can be applied to other instruments as well
I trade turnips
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:30pm   #26
Joined Oct 2014
I believe 1 is enough for day trading and more securities are needed for systems based on total number of occurences. More securities are also needed for longer term investing.
louistrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:03pm   #27

Joined Aug 2013
Watch list of 40 underlyings equities and etfs. No premium limits me to like 7 candidates. Mostly options
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:26am   #28
Joined Aug 2014
I keep my eye on 31 instruments. If your strategy works well, nothing wrong to put it on more instruments. 70% of the market is ranging. Putting 2 instruments on your portfolio just making yourself over trading on it.
iMusingKiMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:26pm   #29
Joined Oct 2014
pairs currently trade with my armada markets account
Click the image to open in full size.
narrowed the pairs and stop trade with NZDUSD,GBPUSD. make a few enchanment ea code in order to match trading condition, with zero stop/limit order entry it give a good result with most major, plan to re-activated on GU once i finish with the code.
any advice are welcome, while NU pair are new pair need to collect more information about this pair behaviour, such range, time to trade, SL/TP etc.
billyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:12pm   #30
Joined Nov 2014
Re How many instruments do you trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
I was just wondering if the majority of traders just focus on one instrument or multiples?
Just one for me
FxRock is offline   Reply With Quote