What is money? Where does our money come from?

This is a discussion on What is money? Where does our money come from? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Cor i havent been here in a good while, hope your all well . Would be interested in hearing your ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:03pm   #1

Joined Nov 2003
What is money? Where does our money come from?

Cor i havent been here in a good while, hope your all well . Would be interested in hearing your opinions / views / facts on:-

1) What is money?
2) Where does our money come from?

(Am talking about the UK)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:12pm   #2

Joined Jan 2004
re: What is money? Where does our money come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Cor i havent been here in a good while, hope your all well . Would be interested in hearing your opinions / views / facts on:-

1) What is money?
2) Where does our money come from?

(Am talking about the UK)
It is a ponzi scheme which has to kept going at all costs, otherwise it collapses.

Interest has to paid so the system has to keep creating more and more money over time to cover the ever increasing interest payments.

Money is as debt according to the you tube video below. I dont know how a complete an explanation this is but it seems to describe part of the system quite well.

donaldduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:28pm   #3

Joined Jan 2006

There are excellent articles on this site and a free e-book which explains money.

Atlas Sound Money Project

I think what donaldduke should be saying is that fiat money is debt because it has no intrinsic value, it is nothing but a promissory note from a government.

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:39pm   #4
Joined Jun 2011

Money is dug out of the ground and put in vaults.
YouAreNotFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:40pm   #5

Joined Feb 2009

1) Money isn't debt. It's a medium of exchange.
2) Money is created by the central clearing exchange facility for money, aka the Central Bank.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:23pm   #6

Joined Nov 2003

darktone started this thread Great to get some replies .
Its one of those subjects thats a bit fuzzy imo, lots of confusion and half truths floating around.
Funny enough the doc that Dduke posted was the first material i saw, guessing it must have been 3-4 years ago now but its only recently after revisting the subject around 6 months ago that ive become very interested.

My view of question 1 is:-
money is debt (It is created as an interest bearing debt) / money is a means of exchange.

NT: Thanks for the link, would just add that fiat money doesnt have to be backed by debt.

Martinghoul: I agree that some of our money is created by central banks (base money) But the bulk of our money (90% +) is created by private commercial banks. This is the bit that interests me the most.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:35pm   #7

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Martinghoul: I agree that some of our money is created by central banks (base money) But the bulk of our money (90% +) is created by private commercial banks. This is the bit that interests me the most.
Yes, that's correct, but the wide money is effectively allowed to exist by the central bank, so, in a way, it all comes down to them.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:55pm   #8

Joined Nov 2003

darktone started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinghoul View Post
Yes, that's correct, but the wide money is effectively allowed to exist by the central bank, so, in a way, it all comes down to them.
Id agree with the first part completely . Id say that central banks dont have much control over the amount of bank issued credit though.

This is all as i currently understand it so i reserve the right to make a complete **** of myself!

In the US they have a system that puts a ceiling on how much they can create, around 9x deposits. In the UK its less regulated (stress testing), before the 2008 fun and games they were lending 30x plus.
Both are fractional reserve systems.