Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

This is a discussion on Trading From Home To A Prop Firm? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Hi, I am wondering if anyone has traded for themselves and kept there journals and record statement of wins and ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:44pm   #1
 
Pipsaholic's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has traded for themselves and kept there journals and record statement of wins and losses and managed to convince a firm to accept you? Do you require to be in banking or finance or be a graduate to get into these firms?
Pipsaholic is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:42am   #2
 
theroguetrader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsaholic View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has traded for themselves and kept there journals and record statement of wins and losses and managed to convince a firm to accept you? Do you require to be in banking or finance or be a graduate to get into these firms?

yes
yes
yes
no - (if you gotta likeable personality, a great ATTITUDE, your prepared to work hard & believe anything is possible - you wont need to "convince " any firm to accept you -
working for a firm isnt the end game - learning the art/skill is - !!


whether your in banking, finance and/or a graduate, is irrelevant to trading - the best traders in the world - both living or deceased, have all been either college drop outs, didnt have a CSE in Ford Escorts between them, finished college, but in a subject COMPLETELY unrelated to finance - (arts, philosophy), manual labourers, meat packers from (Tom Baldwin) taxi drivers - (Bruce Kovner), the list goes on -
theroguetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:22pm   #3
 
Pipsaholic's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Pipsaholic started this thread That's good to know, but I read on another thread that unless your a freshie graduate out of a top uni and have at least an 4 year honors at a well respected uni and in your early 20's wave goodbye for the chance to work for a firm.
Pipsaholic is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:28pm   #4
Joined Nov 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroguetrader View Post
yes
yes
yes
no - (if you gotta likeable personality, a great ATTITUDE, your prepared to work hard & believe anything is possible - you wont need to "convince " any firm to accept you -
working for a firm isnt the end game - learning the art/skill is - !!


whether your in banking, finance and/or a graduate, is irrelevant to trading - the best traders in the world - both living or deceased, have all been either college drop outs, didnt have a CSE in Ford Escorts between them, finished college, but in a subject COMPLETELY unrelated to finance - (arts, philosophy), manual labourers, meat packers from (Tom Baldwin) taxi drivers - (Bruce Kovner), the list goes on -
I disagree, the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated, it's chicken and egg; the majority who are chosen to train in a firm get the opportunity due to their very good qualifications..They then tend to have at their disposal the finest (non advertising) mentors..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:03pm   #5
 
theroguetrader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
I disagree, the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated, it's chicken and egg; the majority who are chosen to train in a firm get the opportunity due to their very good qualifications..They then tend to have at their disposal the finest (non advertising) mentors..

" the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated " -


" highly educated " people rarely make the " BEST " traders !! - FACT !! - go do a survey round the CME/IPE (RIP) - ex floor traders if ya dont believe me !!

" firms " take " grads " on because it makes them look good - !! - the " finest mentors " - dont mentor - they trade !!
theroguetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:09pm   #6
Joined Nov 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroguetrader View Post
" the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated " -


" highly educated " people rarely make the " BEST " traders !! - FACT !! - go do a survey round the CME/IPE (RIP) - ex floor traders if ya dont believe me !!

" firms " take " grads " on because it makes them look good - !! - the " finest mentors " - dont mentor - they trade !!
Not a question of your beliefs, it's fact. Your logic is twisted.
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:42pm   #7
 
theroguetrader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
Not a question of your beliefs, it's fact. Your logic is twisted.

whats " FACT "..?? - that the most highly profitable traders are " highly educated " ..?


u sure about that ??
theroguetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:57pm   #8
 
theroguetrader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
I disagree, the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated, it's chicken and egg; the majority who are chosen to train in a firm get the opportunity due to their very good qualifications..They then tend to have at their disposal the finest (non advertising) mentors..

" chosen to trade at a firm " - and learning how to trade & " CONSISTENTLY MAKE ££ " - are two different things -

the fact someone has " very good qualifications " - has NO relationship to the above - AT ALL !!

Banks/firms are public companies - they HAVE TO BE SEEN taking on " highly qualified " people - the shareholders wouldnt accept otherwise !! - thats all !!
theroguetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:10pm   #9
 
amit1986's Avatar
Joined May 2009
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Fact of the matter is, well educated people get more opportunities to intern/work on trading floors. Whether they succeed or not, is a different question. But, most people on trading floors are well educated at the masters level. Those at top banks have good education from top universities. This is not just a coincidence, but rather, employers look to well educated people because it shows their discipline and focus - which are two crucial skills for any good trader. I spent quite a lot of time on the trading floor of a major IB and almost everyone around me had an MBA or a PhD.

To the OP: If you can make money consistently in the markets, then you'll be a good pickup anywhere. Having a good education will help your chances as well. You don't need to be in your early 20s with 4-year honor degrees. I know many people in my graduating class who didn't get into trading or investment banking and have all those things. If you know how to consistently make money trading and can prove it, then you shouldn't have a problem getting into prop shops.
__________________
Amit
amit1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:50pm   #10
Joined Dec 2010
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

^Agree with the comment above. Even Bruce Kovner (an aforementioned trader), had to complete his undergrad and pursue a PhD @ Harvard prior to joining the futures desk at commod corp.

At the same time, it is possible to transition from trading from home to a prop firm, although the primary contingency is establishing a consistent track record.

Last edited by Abstract; Jun 7, 2011 at 5:58pm.
Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:30pm   #11
 
Pipsaholic's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Pipsaholic started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1986 View Post
Fact of the matter is, well educated people get more opportunities to intern/work on trading floors. Whether they succeed or not, is a different question. But, most people on trading floors are well educated at the masters level. Those at top banks have good education from top universities. This is not just a coincidence, but rather, employers look to well educated people because it shows their discipline and focus - which are two crucial skills for any good trader. I spent quite a lot of time on the trading floor of a major IB and almost everyone around me had an MBA or a PhD.

To the OP: If you can make money consistently in the markets, then you'll be a good pickup anywhere. Having a good education will help your chances as well. You don't need to be in your early 20s with 4-year honor degrees. I know many people in my graduating class who didn't get into trading or investment banking and have all those things. If you know how to consistently make money trading and can prove it, then you shouldn't have a problem getting into prop shops.
Great info mate. How long is consistent 6 - 12 months on a live account what win loss ratio would be acceptable 70% win and 30% loss be acceptable?
Pipsaholic is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:33am   #12
 
gedward3's Avatar
Joined Jun 2005
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroguetrader View Post
" the vast majority of successful traders are highly educated " -


" highly educated " people rarely make the " BEST " traders !! - FACT !! - go do a survey round the CME/IPE (RIP) - ex floor traders if ya dont believe me !!

" firms " take " grads " on because it makes them look good - !! - the " finest mentors " - dont mentor - they trade !!
I agree with you here RT. I worked in the pit on the IPE and while there were a few well educated guys there most were typical barrow boys and more akin to a good fight after the pub. There again a lot made good money as they crafted their trade by watching what the older guys were doing and so picked up good tips that way.

Ged
__________________
A WISE MAN LEARNS BY HIS MISTAKES......AN EVEN WISER MAN LEARNS BY OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES

And as somebody else pointed out to me on T2W.

THE WISEST MAN LEARNS BY HIS AND OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES...................

Is diarrhoea hereditory or does it just run in your genes
gedward3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:43am   #13
Joined Jul 2011
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

I was at an event held for prospective investment banking/law/consultancy students last week and there was a chap from Goldman Sachs there; he told me that there is little point in submitting your trade history (real or from a simulator), even if you have produced consistently good returns, since they can easily be falsified. I was disappointed I thought my superb sim returns meant I was on the path to being a GS trader (not really lol).

He did say that I should send any winning algorithms I have in though if they are tested and they work then they will give you a job. I didn't want to offend him since I may come up against him in an interview a few years from now, but I did wonder why anyone with a profitable algorithm would bother sending it to anyone to get a job, maybe to obtain investment.
jthetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:55am   #14
Joined May 2010
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

I have to say; most of the good traders I know are really smart.
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:13am   #15
Joined Feb 2011
Re: Trading From Home To A Prop Firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartsy View Post
I have to say; most of the good traders I know are really smart.
Thanks for the compliment.
marbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professional home traders wanted for new arm of trading firm Principal Trader Home Trader 9 Sep 18, 2011 9:27am
prop trading firm smt2000 Forex Brokers 1 Mar 14, 2011 6:08pm
Prop trading firm in Dubai moksha99 Brokerages 0 Aug 31, 2010 3:42am
Professional home traders wanted for new arm of trading firm Principal Trader Trading Firms 11 Jan 19, 2010 10:40pm
what can i expect trading fx for a prop firm richard7173 Trading Firms 5 Nov 9, 2009 1:43pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)