The Final Holy Grail Journal Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on The Final Holy Grail Journal Discussion Thread within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; By reducing it to small numbers, you make it sound easy ... it's a slightly specious way of attempting to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 5, 2010, 2:11pm   #113
Joined Jan 2009
Re: The final Holy Grail!

By reducing it to small numbers, you make it sound easy ... it's a slightly specious way of attempting to make a point.

20 pct a month is 240 pct a year (without compounding), I've never heard of anyone make those kind of returns.

Do you ever have a flat month? If so, what do you attempt to do the following month, make 40 pct? Or are your returns +60, -20, +30, that kind of thing?
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JRP2891
Old May 5, 2010, 2:35pm   #114
Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
A well respected guy called Phil Newton reckons (reckoned in the dim and distant past) you only need a grand to make a grand a month...you obviously could never agree with this. But that's OK here's a thing, if you have an account of 5K you only need to make 47 quid a day to make a grand return per month - 20%. Sorry to say this (actually I'm not sorry at all) but if you can't achieve 50 quid a day on a 5K account then trading aint for you...
My last imput on this subject..floor is yours etc...
Like i said in my previous post, if you can make 20% every month well done to you (plural). However i think it's very unwise to listen to someone on a forum with no proven credentials, who tells everyone to give up trading if they can't make 20% minimum every month. Ridiculous is more the word that comes to mind. I prefer to focus on my own strategy and bottom line, and not what anyone else is saying. 9 times out of 10, the so called trading guru is not even net profitable anyway.
JRP2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:38pm   #115
Joined Jan 2009

If I was making 20 pct a month, I'd be too busy dancing with young chickies on my yacht in the Mediterranean to post on this website, no offence to t2w..
Old May 5, 2010, 2:42pm   #116
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
If I was making 20 pct a month, I'd be too busy dancing with young chickies on my yacht in the Mediterranean to post on this website, no offence to t2w..
You would only have a yacht on the med if you had compounded you 20% monthly return... I believe BS had mentioned he doesn't compound his profits, just withdraws them.

Either way, 20% per month is only doable with leverage so my question to Black Swan is... How much leverage are you using to obtain a consistent 20% per month? And what kind of drawdown do you generally go through each month?
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:48pm   #117
Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
You would only have a yacht on the med if you had compounded you 20% monthly return... I believe BS had mentioned he doesn't compound his profits, just withdraws them.

Either way, 20% per month is only doable with leverage so my question to Black Swan is... How much leverage are you using to obtain a consistent 20% per month? And what kind of drawdown do you generally go through each month?
I started another thread about monthly return and drawdown just to see how different people approach it. It's very rare for people to talk about drawdown on this website (Black Swan has not mentioned drawdown or losses once). Obviously there are going to be times when the markets are not favourable, so - for example - if the target is 20 pct a month and one has a couple of flat months, is it then required to earn 60 pct the third month?
Old May 5, 2010, 3:00pm   #118
Joined Jan 2009

Why the obsession with win rate anyway? You can have fewer than 30 pct winners and still make money, this is true for most trend systems.
Thanks! The following members like this post: pozzyp , wackypete2
Old May 5, 2010, 3:06pm   #119
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Why the obsession with win rate anyway? You can have fewer than 30 pct winners and still make money, this is true for most trend systems.
No1 will make 20% every month over the course of more than a year...
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:08pm   #120
Joined Feb 2010

Quote:

Very true I have seen Trend traders here that take ages to position themselves on a move which can also prove quite costly. But when they catch a wave they comp into it and build a monster position that pays very nicely.