Trading with no rules

This is a discussion on Trading with no rules within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I do not use any form of signals or any technical analysis for my trading, nor do I understand a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:28pm   #1
Joined Sep 2009
Trading with no rules

I do not use any form of signals or any technical analysis for my trading, nor do I understand a lot of it. I simply stare at the prices all day and buy or sell when I get the urge. I trade full time and am in my fifth year of profit ( I make my living from trading). I only mention this so that other traders take this seriously (after they stop laughing !). The only area where I have rules is risk control. The reason I am posting this is I admit to feeling massive stress/fear trading this way when everything you read suggests I need to do more. I also acknowedge I am not trading long enough to be sure this will continue to work. I had no experience before I started trading. Anyone else trade in this way ?

Comments most welcome.
1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: rathcoole_exile , Black Swan
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:35pm   #2
Joined Dec 2008
Re: Trading with no rules

Risk control is probably the most important rule of all.

As for trading "rules", systems etc, well most systems (in my opinion) are no better (not as good in fact) as flipping a coin, or buying when the dog farts and selling when he falls asleep.
maiden22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: HawkTrader , rathcoole_exile , Splitlink
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:44pm   #3
Joined Dec 2007

I think what you'll find (if you ever analysed your entries) that the 'urge' that you feel to enter a trade is simply a recurring pattern, likely to take you into profit, that maybe even you don't realise but is deep in your subconcious somewhere. So infact, you are actually trading with a type of subconcious system, just one that isn't written down and closely adhered to.

I trade with with very structured and well defined patterns. On very odd occasions I go into a trade 'on a hunch'. (I don't like to do it as it means I don't stick to my plan). I'd say more often than not, these hunches take me into a profitable trade.

Maybe it's luck, but I put it down to 1000s of hours of screen time that means some patterns are just embedded in my subconcious but I don't realise it conciously.

So your way of trading, combined with strict risk control is enough to give you an edge.

Just a thought ... and now I'm waiting for an experienced trader to tell me I'm talking b*****ks !!
Paulie_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:01pm   #4
Joined Jun 2008

Just a thought ... and now I'm waiting for an experienced trader to tell me I'm talking b*****ks !!

no you`re not---I`ve been trading for donkeys and do likewise. I select a few stocks/pairs and watch and watch more..As long as risk control is in place which is THE most important aspect of trading IMO. I do use TA but only as a backup to what I had planned to do anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:27pm   #5

Joined Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
I do not use any form of signals or any technical analysis for my trading, nor do I understand a lot of it. I simply stare at the prices all day and buy or sell when I get the urge. I trade full time and am in my fifth year of profit ( I make my living from trading). I only mention this so that other traders take this seriously (after they stop laughing !). The only area where I have rules is risk control. The reason I am posting this is I admit to feeling massive stress/fear trading this way when everything you read suggests I need to do more. I also acknowedge I am not trading long enough to be sure this will continue to work. I had no experience before I started trading. Anyone else trade in this way ?

Comments most welcome.
Hi,

I've been trading myself for around three years. I've blown a few accounts blah blah, I'll spare you the details. Basically it's come to a point where I've decided to test myself, over the course of a month I'm flipping a coin and using that as an entry signal based on the outcome. In addition to this I'm using the 3 Ducks method for discretionary trading and technical analysis to make my trades the way I would do normally on a seperate account to compare the two.

I've got the same Money Management plan and Risk Reward ratio in place for both. Needless to say, although it's only day 2 I am a whopping +130 pips ahead in the coin toss vs discretionary.

I am seriously.... and other traders may laugh at me here (especially after only day two) considering developing a strategy based on the flip of a coin.

I am beginning to think that all you need is a good Money Management plan and Risk Reward ratio to make money, and knowing when to call it quits for the week.

I'd like to know what RR and MM plan you use, also what lot size??
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:52pm   #6
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden22 View Post
Risk control is probably the most important rule of all.

As for trading "rules", systems etc, well most systems (in my opinion) are no better (not as good in fact) as flipping a coin, or buying when the dog farts and selling when he falls asleep.
sshhh...you tried reversing that?
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:47pm   #7
Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by black swan View Post
sshhh...you tried reversing that?
lol
maiden22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:41am   #8

Joined Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Anyone else trade in this way ?
Pretty much, yeah. Your subconscious is better than your conscious at so many things anyway, that once you can get it in tune with a market makes decisions easier.

Most useful, in my view, is a very occasional uneasy feeling, in which case I get out
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote