Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

This is a discussion on Make Pocket Money From the Markets? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by oildaytrader Missed the most important part The belly dancer yes, but who are the four wierdos dancing ...

View Poll Results: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?
Yes 8 40.00%
No 8 40.00%
Sometimes 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:00pm   #11
Joined Feb 2007
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
Missed the most important part



The belly dancer yes, but who are the four wierdos dancing around her, let me think....it's not four T2W forum guides is it?
Paul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:12pm   #12
 
arabianights's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPigeonCoo View Post
A lover as well
Why, are you an amputee?
__________________
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:23pm   #13
 
shadowninja's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
Missed the most important part

They say that when you learn about different cultures you become a better person. I think I was better off five minutes ago when I was more ignorant.
__________________
The markets can stay solvent longer than you can stay irrational.
My sports trading challenge: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...challenge.html
shadowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:09pm   #14
 
trader_dante's Avatar
Joined Aug 2005
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPigeonCoo View Post
Would you say you earn Pocket money from trading the Markets? is it worth your while if you can only make £50 a day?
Do you still prefer trading from home earning as much if you was at work?
What if you only earned about £12 a day' trading? would you still stick to trading?
If you can make £12 on the majority of days (no matter how many hours it takes you) and your losing days don't set you back more than a whopping £4 - £6, you should get very, very excited.

Scale it up. You're going to be very rich.

On reflection though, I'm not sure if that is what you are asking. If you are just asking would someone work if £12 was the most they could make...the answer for me and I imagine most people, would be emphatically no!

In fact, if the wages were the same, I would probably rather work in MacDonalds than trading. As much as I love the game for the game, the money is the major perk for me more so than all the other reasons that are touted by people trying to get you into this game.

Playing devils advocate for the moment, none of the "perks" of trading are really perks at all - for me anyway.

1. The perk of being able to work from home and be your own boss

I find working from home lonely and depressing. Yes you are free to get up at 10am if you want and if you do you probably missed a move which will cost you later. Yes you are free to go for a 2 hour coffee break if you want. It's really fun sitting in Starbucks on your own. I know. I do it every day. Being my own boss doesn't compensate me for having no one to see since all my mates are in a 9-5. Plus, when you f*ck up - you don't have a boss to b*tch about. You have to take all the responsibility yourself. Hence you better get used to the headache of constant beratement and thinking/analysing your own mistakes.

2. The perk of not needing to rent an office

No instead, I buy a PC that sets me up back almost £2,500, then you rent Ran, you rent CQG, you pay for Bloomberg, you pay for exchange access, you pay for spreads...that sh*t alone sets you back more than an office in Mayfair from which to run your little start-up.

3. You can trade from anywhere in the world

Yes you can theoretically sit on a beach sipping Pina Coladas and trading. I wonder just why none of the big traders I know aren't doing that? Infact, how many traders are doing that, apart from perhaps Rathcoole?

Anyway, apologies, I'm off on a tangent.

Working in MacDonalds (for the same wage) would be much more sociable, much less emotionally draining and have more perks.

Honestly.
__________________
Lessons from successful traders: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...l-traders.html

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html

Last edited by trader_dante; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:22pm.
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tenbobtrader , ceydababy
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:25pm   #15
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPigeonCoo View Post
Would you say you earn Pocket money from trading the Markets? is it worth your while if you can only make £50 a day?
Do you still prefer trading from home earning as much if you was at work?
What if you only earned about £12 a day' trading? would you still stick to trading?
It's all relative to your other sources of income and whethe you do it for necessity or as a pastime.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:02pm   #16
D70
Joined Nov 2009
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
It's all relative to your other sources of income and whethe you do it for necessity or as a pastime.
At last......!!!!
A sensible comment on this thread.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE!!!

The great point I think tho is that your trading brings you out UP rather than DOWN on your bank balance, so instead of playing a computer game that just takes up time and money (cost of game)...... you are using your time to play a computer game (trading) and make a bit of cash TO DO STUFF WITH (small or large as i say is ALL RELATIVE)........waa hoo!! Happy days.
D70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:27am   #17
Joined Nov 2008
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
If you can make £12 on the majority of days (no matter how many hours it takes you) and your losing days don't set you back more than a whopping £4 - £6, you should get very, very excited.

Scale it up. You're going to be very rich.

On reflection though, I'm not sure if that is what you are asking. If you are just asking would someone work if £12 was the most they could make...the answer for me and I imagine most people, would be emphatically no!

In fact, if the wages were the same, I would probably rather work in MacDonalds than trading. As much as I love the game for the game, the money is the major perk for me more so than all the other reasons that are touted by people trying to get you into this game.

Playing devils advocate for the moment, none of the "perks" of trading are really perks at all - for me anyway.

1. The perk of being able to work from home and be your own boss

I find working from home lonely and depressing. Yes you are free to get up at 10am if you want and if you do you probably missed a move which will cost you later. Yes you are free to go for a 2 hour coffee break if you want. It's really fun sitting in Starbucks on your own. I know. I do it every day. Being my own boss doesn't compensate me for having no one to see since all my mates are in a 9-5. Plus, when you f*ck up - you don't have a boss to b*tch about. You have to take all the responsibility yourself. Hence you better get used to the headache of constant beratement and thinking/analysing your own mistakes.

2. The perk of not needing to rent an office

No instead, I buy a PC that sets me up back almost £2,500, then you rent Ran, you rent CQG, you pay for Bloomberg, you pay for exchange access, you pay for spreads...that sh*t alone sets you back more than an office in Mayfair from which to run your little start-up.

3. You can trade from anywhere in the world

Yes you can theoretically sit on a beach sipping Pina Coladas and trading. I wonder just why none of the big traders I know aren't doing that? Infact, how many traders are doing that, apart from perhaps Rathcoole?

Anyway, apologies, I'm off on a tangent.

Working in MacDonalds (for the same wage) would be much more sociable, much less emotionally draining and have more perks.

Honestly.
1) If you were in a none to five, chances are your mates would not probably be working in the same place - worst case could be full of ***** / politics / brown nosers etc...Plus when you mess up or even when you dont, you dont have an asshole of a boss breathing down your neck making life difficult...

You could always meet up with mates on lunch hour, if not too far away ?

2) Do you really need to buy / rent all that other stuff ?

3) Supppose where you trade from depends on personal circumstances / wife / girlfriend etc, but its still an option. More travel also...

Not sure MacDonalds have particularly vibrant social scenes ..! Then there's the customers ...

Just trying to convince myself trading fulltime is not all bad ...as could be someting for me in next year or two...though your nearly puting me off.
Prawnsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:00am   #18
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnsandwich View Post
1) If you were in a none to five, chances are your mates would not probably be working in the same place - worst case could be full of ***** / politics / brown nosers etc...Plus when you mess up or even when you dont, you dont have an asshole of a boss breathing down your neck making life difficult...

You could always meet up with mates on lunch hour, if not too far away ?

2) Do you really need to buy / rent all that other stuff ?

3) Supppose where you trade from depends on personal circumstances / wife / girlfriend etc, but its still an option. More travel also...

Not sure MacDonalds have particularly vibrant social scenes ..! Then there's the customers ...

Just trying to convince myself trading fulltime is not all bad ...as could be someting for me in next year or two...though your nearly puting me off.
Don't think that I would like to work in a Mac's. I prefer doing my own thing. I only do this between 0900 and 1330, anyway,

You don't need all that stuff to be a proficient trader. I have a Compaq and nothing else! Sharescope for EOD data and broadband. The family uses it, too, when they are home. I have pondered on more than one monitor, but gone no farther with it, because, quite often, I leave a stop on and go shopping. Believe it or not, you can make money like that!

Fulltime? Be absolutely sure before you pack that 9-5 in. When you have to earn your money on the bolsa, it can get very worrying, at times because, then, the phrase must gets into the equation.

Last edited by Splitlink; Dec 6, 2009 at 9:05am.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:25am   #19
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
If you can make £12 on the majority of days (no matter how many hours it takes you) and your losing days don't set you back more than a whopping £4 - £6, you should get very, very excited.

Scale it up. You're going to be very rich.

On reflection though, I'm not sure if that is what you are asking. If you are just asking would someone work if £12 was the most they could make...the answer for me and I imagine most people, would be emphatically no!

In fact, if the wages were the same, I would probably rather work in MacDonalds than trading. As much as I love the game for the game, the money is the major perk for me more so than all the other reasons that are touted by people trying to get you into this game.

Playing devils advocate for the moment, none of the "perks" of trading are really perks at all - for me anyway.

1. The perk of being able to work from home and be your own boss

I find working from home lonely and depressing. Yes you are free to get up at 10am if you want and if you do you probably missed a move which will cost you later. Yes you are free to go for a 2 hour coffee break if you want. It's really fun sitting in Starbucks on your own. I know. I do it every day. Being my own boss doesn't compensate me for having no one to see since all my mates are in a 9-5. Plus, when you f*ck up - you don't have a boss to b*tch about. You have to take all the responsibility yourself. Hence you better get used to the headache of constant beratement and thinking/analysing your own mistakes.

2. The perk of not needing to rent an office

No instead, I buy a PC that sets me up back almost £2,500, then you rent Ran, you rent CQG, you pay for Bloomberg, you pay for exchange access, you pay for spreads...that sh*t alone sets you back more than an office in Mayfair from which to run your little start-up.

3. You can trade from anywhere in the world

Yes you can theoretically sit on a beach sipping Pina Coladas and trading. I wonder just why none of the big traders I know aren't doing that? Infact, how many traders are doing that, apart from perhaps Rathcoole?

Anyway, apologies, I'm off on a tangent.

Working in MacDonalds (for the same wage) would be much more sociable, much less emotionally draining and have more perks.

Honestly.
There are plenty of traders using a garage,free demo accounts /feeds ,a laptop costing #400 gbp and a pre existing ADSL service.It is expensive getting to that stage where only basic equipment is required to trade .

If a trader trades many markets,as many as 6 to 10 , 60 inch screens can be used by some traders ,along with several back up computers and adsl services.

Some of us are already on 6 computers and screens. for serious trading in 6 figures.

O D T.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:03pm   #20
Joined Nov 2008
Re: Make Pocket Money From the Markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
Don't think that I would like to work in a Mac's. I prefer doing my own thing. I only do this between 0900 and 1330, anyway,

You don't need all that stuff to be a proficient trader. I have a Compaq and nothing else! Sharescope for EOD data and broadband. The family uses it, too, when they are home. I have pondered on more than one monitor, but gone no farther with it, because, quite often, I leave a stop on and go shopping. Believe it or not, you can make money like that!

Fulltime? Be absolutely sure before you pack that 9-5 in. When you have to earn your money on the bolsa, it can get very worrying, at times because, then, the phrase must gets into the equation.
I suppose it depends on what you trade / your method etc...my set-up is fairly simple at the moment, bog-standard lap top, online discount broker, stockcharts.com and thats it....not having to spend all day in front of the screen is fairly applealing as well...I'm trying to reduce my screen time a much as possble -easier said than done though
Prawnsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Thread: How To Make Money Trading The Markets. Mr. Charts Stocks 709 Apr 28, 2011 7:27pm
How much will make you happy and how long will it take you to make that much money? clylbw The Foyer 7 Feb 24, 2010 5:22pm
Article: Why Canít Johnny and Jane Make Money in the Markets? T2W Bot Educational Resources 28 Nov 2, 2009 8:09am
How not to make money trading the markets Hotch Trading Journals 56 Oct 7, 2009 4:57pm
How do market makers make money in futures markets femi73 Futures & Options 4 May 14, 2007 1:25pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)