Pairs Trading

This is a discussion on Pairs Trading within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Being new to pairs trading I hope experienced traders can add to my knowledge. Normally for a pair say stock ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:51pm   #1
Joined Dec 2008
Pairs Trading

Being new to pairs trading I hope experienced traders can add to my knowledge. Normally for a pair say
stock ABC and XYZ where the correlation is say greater than 80%, and we go long ABC and short XYZ, we buy a dollar amount of ABC and short an equal dollar amount of XYZ.

But what if options are used. The disadvantages for options would seem to be time decay (THETA) and implied volatility (VEGA). Vega could go either way but Theta would be a disadvantage. In buying the calls for long ABC, and puts for
XYZ would you multiply the delta of the
combined calls and the price of ABC to
get a dollar amount and then adjust the
puts product of delta and price to obtain equal dollar amounts for the calls and puts combination?

After some period of time would the
dollar amounts of the long and short sides change. And if they change, should the pair be adjusted to bring the pair back to equal dollar amounts?

Thanks in advance. H. Hampton
datahogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:51pm   #2
Joined May 2008
Is this a hypothetical or a text book question or something? I can't help you either way tbh but still interested to know he answer.
Technically Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote