Think you know probability?

This is a discussion on Think you know probability? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I'm sure some of you have heard this one before, but for those who haven't, give me your answers: You ...

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Spin the cylinder again, then fire 32 60.38%
Just pull the trigger 21 39.62%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 14, 2009, 5:32pm   #1

Joined Nov 2008
Think you know probability?

I'm sure some of you have heard this one before, but for those who haven't, give me your answers:

You are handed a revolver, with two bullets placed in adjacent chambers in the 6-chamber cylinder. The cylinder is spun to a random position and the loaded gun is handed to you. You put the barrel to your head and pull the trigger - an empty click.

Now, you are told that you must pull the trigger one more time. Do you re-spin the cylinder, or just pull the trigger again?

NB. Please do not post explanations for your answer until everyone has had a chance to make up their mind. Also don't bother Googling an answer, it kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Hint: Read the initial conditions carefully, and visualise the situation.
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 5:37pm   #2

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill Leverage View Post
I'm sure some of you have heard this one before, but for those who haven't, give me your answers:

You are handed a revolver, with two bullets placed in adjacent chambers in the 6-chamber cylinder. The cylinder is spun to a random position and the loaded gun is handed to you. You put the barrel to your head and pull the trigger - an empty click.

Now, you are told that you must pull the trigger one more time. Do you re-spin the cylinder, or just pull the trigger again?

NB. Please do not post explanations for your answer until everyone has had a chance to make up their mind. Also don't bother Googling an answer, it kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Hint: Read the initial conditions carefully, and visualise the situation.
Its obvious - give spanish a call see what he recommends then do the opposite.
Claudia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:18pm   #3

Joined Nov 2008
Skill Leverage started this thread Do you laugh at all your own jokes in real life, or just on internet forums
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: KillPhil08
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:23pm   #4
Joined Feb 2007
Where is BSD, these days? I hope he's not into cross-dressing.
Paul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:30pm   #5

Joined Mar 2003
Excellent, Monty Hall tooled up. Do we need to account for the weight of the bullets or can we assume each chamber has a 1/6 chance of selection? I've actually no idea how revolvers work in this respect. Regardless, it's going to be the second choice.
frugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Skill Leverage
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:39pm   #6

Joined Aug 2008
Easy!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:41pm   #7

Joined May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul71 View Post
Where is BSD, these days? I hope he's not into cross-dressing.
He pulled the trigger again with out respinning.