The last few minutes

This is a discussion on The last few minutes within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; Why there is much movement in fx and other markets at the end of the hour and at the begining ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:58pm   #1
tar

Joined Nov 2006
The last few minutes

Why there is much movement in fx and other markets at the end of the hour and at the begining of the new one ? Automated systems ? .... ?
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:22pm   #2

Joined Jan 2007
Company results and other market moving news tend to be released every half hour... The rest of it is your imagination.
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:25pm   #3

Joined Jan 2007
And of course at the moment in FX the four o clock fixings are great fun if you're in the know. And then they can trigger technical stuff eg dollar yen today.
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:44pm   #4
tar

Joined Nov 2006
tar started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
And of course at the moment in FX the four o clock fixings are great fun if you're in the know. And then they can trigger technical stuff eg dollar yen today.
but really i noticed on fx that there is some move at the end of the hour
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:41pm   #5

Joined Jan 2007
If you private message gammajammer and ask him to contribute here I'm sure he can help out more.

Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:03am   #6
Joined Sep 2004
Well there are actually fixings every hour but they don't all attract anywhere near as much attention as the big ones (i.e. FFT / ECB / WMR).

Personally I hadn't really noticed extra activity at the end of every hour if I'm honest. Do you have any harder evidence to support this, or is it just anecdotal (not saying you're necessarily wrong, just interested in how you arrived at this theory you understand).

GJ
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:23am   #7
tar

Joined Nov 2006
tar started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer View Post
Well there are actually fixings every hour but they don't all attract anywhere near as much attention as the big ones (i.e. FFT / ECB / WMR).

Personally I hadn't really noticed extra activity at the end of every hour if I'm honest. Do you have any harder evidence to support this, or is it just anecdotal (not saying you're necessarily wrong, just interested in how you arrived at this theory you understand).

GJ
Thanks for your time

i dont mean bigger movements ( like at 4 pm ) but i noticed most of the hours at london session that price movemoent accerlates at the last minute and at the begining of the hour , i dont know maybe not every every hour but most of the time the minute 00 and 59 not like the minute 17 or 43 . maybe this because of the fixing u mentioned .