Million Dollar Traders

This is a discussion on Million Dollar Traders within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Season 1 Episode 1 of 3 Make Me a Trader New series. Eight people are given $1million and two weeks ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:32pm   #1

Joined Mar 2002
Million Dollar Traders

Quote:
Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
Make Me a Trader New series. Eight people are given $1million and two weeks of intensive training to run their own hedge fund for two months, revealing the inner-workings of a city trading floor. Successful businessman Lex Van Dam provides the contestants with their money in the hope that he will see a return on his investment, but the global credit crunch spells trouble for the novice traders
Did anyone see this on BBC2 at 9pm yesterday?

Sounds to me is that they are putting 8 largely untrained people into trading without any real defined strategy. Most are just trading on widely available news, why should this not be factored in already? Surely any sensible company would pre-train them using a dummy platform and give them some general advice on the strategies that are more likely to work?

Perhaps the hedge fund bosses wan't to make a political point that traders need to work hard for a living due to recent bad press? However I doubt if is is that simple, it can be as easy or hard as you make it for yourself. I doubt if results are proportional to effort whilst actually trading, although a fair amount of background research and strategy development is required. Information overload, a lack of focus and emotion is the greatest risk whilst actually trading.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:33pm   #2

Joined May 2008
See here:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...t-trading.html
PokerBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:25pm   #3
Joined Apr 2008
This is the 4th thread on this. Perhaps sticky + merge?
KillPhil08 is offline   Reply With Quote