Suggestions for mastering speculation

This is a discussion on Suggestions for mastering speculation within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; Originally Posted by Jaydee Oh come on, I wasn't throwing anything in his face or looking for help. I simply ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:30pm   #29
 
new_trader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Oh come on, I wasn't throwing anything in his face or looking for help. I simply wanted to get his opinion on how he would base his stop in the long term and if a stop is purely down to ability. I was looking for something a little more tangible and to the point than what he wrote, that's all.

He disagreed with the volatility idea Timsk put forward and then said volatility had nothing to do with his trading - he uses a 1.25 point stop regardless. I was curious how he thought and have been asking questions (sorry you didn't like them) which seemed very reasonable for me to get an understanding of how he approached things. I wanted to know if his 1.25 point stop would be set for a longer term trade for example.

All he was saying was effectively 'I have a stop based on my experience' which tells me nothing. My stops are based on my experience too, but I can tell you almost exactly how they work for me and I can tell you how I'll place them on trades across multiple time periods. Based on this, my line of questioning doesn't seem all that unreasonable really.

Sorry it riled you so much that you felt you had to get involved.
No, you still don't get it. I said the 'stop' is a function of proficiency, not time, resistance, support, pivot points etc...it is not a mechanical issue, at all. You persist in getting some sort of concrete, tangible answer which doesn't exist. What will it take to make you understand what is meant by proficiency? I use a 1.25 point stop now. I used to use a much larger stop. Nothing has changed other than my ability to judge my entry point better. What more do you want?

I also didn't say volatility has nothing to do with my trading. I am saying it shouldn't have anything to do with anyoneís trading. If you are proficient you will be efficient. If you are efficient you trade with close stops because your trades move immediately in your favour after entry and almost never put your stop at risk. Is this making it clearer? If you can only do this using wide stops, then you should endeavour to improve your timing. If you donít want to or donít feel the need to, then donít. But donít say itís function of volatility because it is not.

The art of speculation is recognising what has occurred and as a consequence, what will occur. It is knowing what to expect and then acting accordingly with coolness and precision. It is not taking guesses and adjusting stop size to account for 'volatility'. Like I said, cause and effect, action and reaction. Either you understand or you don't.
__________________
"It always pays a man to be right at the right time."
-Jesse Livermore


CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline  
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:31pm   #30
 
new_trader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
I don't think either of you have an argument with one another, you're just talking at cross purposes.

Have a w...

Has it helped your trading?
__________________
"It always pays a man to be right at the right time."
-Jesse Livermore


CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline  
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:40pm   #31
 
Grey1's Avatar
Joined Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
9A. Vary the size of the position (and the placing of your stop) based on the volatility of the instrument being traded. Using ATR is as good a means as any for evaluating volatility and appropriate position size, IMO.
Spot on and well said,,

Many traders look at historical levels such as support and resistance , cycle as an indication of future performance and there is no reason why volatility should be any different and hence your ATR comment is spot on specially for novice traders,,

For more seasoned traders who are into perhaps more mathematical estimation of future volatility they can look into GARCH model .

Foundation of TA is based on deriving forward looking analysis based on historical evidence,,, Hence ATR can be a simple and reliable start for pos sizing

I be talking about the GARCH model in my next seminar for those who are interested in more advanced and mathematical side of the trading which is only suitable for fast PC execution of the model and hence better estimation of projected volatility

grey1
Grey1 is offline Commercial chat room  
Thanks! The following members like this post: BSD
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:52pm   #32
 
new_trader's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
Yes, ATR....makes you wonder how traders can get so messed up in market like we've experienced the last few weeks. I suppose ATR works when it does and doesn't work when it doesn't. Just trade the days when it works and avoid the days when it doesn't and you will make millions.
__________________
"It always pays a man to be right at the right time."
-Jesse Livermore


CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:04am   #33
 
Jaydee's Avatar
Joined Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
I also didn't say volatility has nothing to do with my trading. I am saying it shouldn't have anything to do with anyoneís trading. If you are proficient you will be efficient. If you are efficient you trade with close stops because your trades move immediately in your favour after entry and almost never put your stop at risk. Is this making it clearer? If you can only do this using wide stops, then you should endeavour to improve your timing. If you donít want to or donít feel the need to, then donít. But donít say itís function of volatility because it is not.
What I get is that you are talking about a particular type of trading where the market moves in a favourable direction as soon as you enter. In such a situation, you can have a very tight stop - I get that.

However, I can't see how you can say no trader should even consider volatility. With increased volatility, the margin for error becomes much larger no matter how good at entries you are. Therefore, you risk being stopped out all the time and not making anything. It's not unusual for a market to tip the balance one way and then whipsaw at the next moment - the DAX springs to mind.

I'm glad your method works for you and I'm not putting it down but I think you are wrong to say ALL traders should ignore volatility and that by including it a trader has a weaker technique than yourself or isn't addressing the important idea of timing. Your style of trading seems to be all about getting as many winners as possible and tiny risk - that's fine, but there are some styles which don't require such precision and still do very well.

I don't guess which way the market goes. Like you I have rules and a setup that I follow which gives me a good percentage chance in the direction I choose - it's just a favourable possibility though, nothing more. I feel you are almost saying that if a trader had perfect timing, he would never be stopped out and always get 100% winners. That is impossible as there is always an element of chance involved with any trade.
Jaydee is offline  
Thanks! The following members like this post: counter_violent , zupcon , the blades , Joey25
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:12am   #34
 
leovirgo's Avatar
Joined Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
No, you still don't get it. I said the 'stop' is a function of proficiency, not time, resistance, support, pivot points etc...it is not a mechanical issue, at all. You persist in getting some sort of concrete, tangible answer which doesn't exist. What will it take to make you understand what is meant by proficiency? I use a 1.25 point stop now. I used to use a much larger stop. Nothing has changed other than my ability to judge my entry point better. What more do you want?

I also didn't say volatility has nothing to do with my trading. I am saying it shouldn't have anything to do with anyone’s trading. If you are proficient you will be efficient. If you are efficient you trade with close stops because your trades move immediately in your favour after entry and almost never put your stop at risk. Is this making it clearer? If you can only do this using wide stops, then you should endeavour to improve your timing. If you don’t want to or don’t feel the need to, then don’t. But don’t say it’s function of volatility because it is not.

The art of speculation is recognising what has occurred and as a consequence, what will occur. It is knowing what to expect and then acting accordingly with coolness and precision. It is not taking guesses and adjusting stop size to account for 'volatility'. Like I said, cause and effect, action and reaction. Either you understand or you don't.
I tried to go Long INDU with 20pt STOP. Target is at least 200pts. 5minute ATR, today, was at least 60pts. So, theoretically, I should use Stop Loss 2.5xATR= 150pts. First time, it was stopped out. Second time, it was successful. I knew it should be successful in 2 attempts. I used perfect 1minute entries to do that. So my expected R:R is 200/ (2x20) = 5.

For pure ATR based calculation, it would be 200/150 = 1.3

It means, an experienced trader can take better R:R trades with minimal risk. That's how I understand about what you've been trying to talk about. does it make sense?
__________________
I'll take one at a time.
leovirgo is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:20am   #35
 
Grey1's Avatar
Joined Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
Yes, ATR....makes you wonder how traders can get so messed up in market like we've experienced the last few weeks. I suppose ATR works when it does and doesn't work when it doesn't. Just trade the days when it works and avoid the days when it doesn't and you will make millions.
Your comments are non technical and irrelevant. Understanding volatility is crucial in risk assessment and hence directly correlated to pos sizing,,,
Personal un justified views such as ATR works when it does and does not work when it does not is not a type of defence that one should put forward in acceptance or denial of theoretical concepts specially when it comes to volatility..

If you feel pos sizing and volatility are not a measure of risk analysis please refer me to some theoretical papers so I can update my knowledge,


Grey1
Grey1 is offline Commercial chat room  
Thanks! The following members like this post: counter_violent , Joey25 , timsk
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mastering the game. new_trader General Trading Chat 133 Oct 18, 2007 4:54pm
NLP 'Mastering Fears' Trdr Psychology, Risk & Money Management 0 Apr 30, 2006 1:10pm
Mastering The Trade marthart First Steps 1 Apr 11, 2004 5:29pm
E Net Speculation Theurgian Spread Betting & CFDs 20 Jan 15, 2004 10:16pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)