Nothing works consistently

This is a discussion on Nothing works consistently within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; I've been trading for approximately six months now. What am having a hard time grasping is what worked yesterday doesn't ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:38am   #1
Joined Jan 2008
Nothing works consistently

I've been trading for approximately six months now. What am having a hard time grasping is what worked yesterday doesn't work the following day.

For instance on one day I was scalping NASDAQ stock anddoing well well, and then using the same method the next day or a week later and I have devastating results. When trying to trade breakouts and momentum trades, majority of the breakout turn out to be false. Sometimes prices bounce off the EMA, sometimes they go straight through.

My point is nothing seems to work on a consistent basis. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
mehow is offline Newsletter / tip sheet / trading advice vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:48am   #2
Joined Feb 2008
Lots, but i doubt you would agree with my method and follow it. lol
spanish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:34am   #3

Joined Oct 2007
Nothing works 100%, the idea is to find something that works more than it doesn't and use money management when it doesn't work.

for example have a system that woeks 50% of the time, but, when you're wrong you only lose 200, but when you're right you make 400+, so for every 10 trades you'd average 1000+

There is no holy grail..............
foredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:45am   #4

Joined Jan 2007
If anything does work on a risk adjusted basis...

Click the image to open in full size.

...this man will have a heart attack. Do you want to be responsible for that?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:01am   #5

Joined Feb 2005
is that you, arabian?

Interesting articles about proprietary trading, including whether you should pay a prop firm for training (don't).
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:17am   #6
Joined Jul 2003
Didn't he invent that painful sandal?
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:25am   #7
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehow View Post
I've been trading for approximately six months now. What am having a hard time grasping is what worked yesterday doesn't work the following day.

For instance on one day I was scalping NASDAQ stock anddoing well well, and then using the same method the next day or a week later and I have devastating results. When trying to trade breakouts and momentum trades, majority of the breakout turn out to be false. Sometimes prices bounce off the EMA, sometimes they go straight through.

My point is nothing seems to work on a consistent basis. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
You're right, you can't bank on what works today working next year, or in 6 months or even next week.

But if you're finding your scalp start doesn't work from one day to the next, you've probably not got a scalp strat. I'd argue unless you're pro, you can't make money long term with a scalp strat anyway.

A lot of folk think a failed breakout is a false breakout. It isn’t, it just never was a breakout. You need to refine your view of what constitutes a real breakout – and trade that.

You also need to counterbalance your need for certainty (if indeed that’s the problem) in any chart formation’s existence before committing, with the more pressing need, and greater skill/experience requirement of identifying market conditions which lead to potential setups before they even begin forming and having a conviction on the probability of it completing if you’ve any hope of making money.

If you've only been trading 6 months my guess is your failures are due to the same failures that beset most new traders. There's a whole site devoted to discussing such issues...
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote