Tortoise and the hare

This is a discussion on Tortoise and the hare within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hehe ;-)...

View Poll Results: Full throttle....
Why not! 10 71.43%
Bloody gamblers give traders a bad name! 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:09pm   #16
BSD
 
BSD's Avatar
Joined Feb 2006
Hehe ;-)
__________________
Markus
Doing without doing
BSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:50pm   #17
 
wasp's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
ah well.......

wasp started this thread Well, blew that pretty quick! As promised, win or lose, heres the screenshot.

Part the problem with this I find, apart from the fact that with Alpari I had to put on a ton of small lots in order to go full leverage, was that I swayed from my cunning plan as it was only a play account. I certainly didn't treat it as seriously as other accounts and hey presto, its all gone!

Went from a ton to £780 then back to £1.50 in a week...!

Let that be a lesson kids, never risk more than 3%. MAX!

T'was fun!
Attached Thumbnails
alpari.jpg  
wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JTrader
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:20am   #18
 
Mathemagician's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
Well, blew that pretty quick! As promised, win or lose, heres the screenshot.

Part the problem with this I find, apart from the fact that with Alpari I had to put on a ton of small lots in order to go full leverage, was that I swayed from my cunning plan as it was only a play account. I certainly didn't treat it as seriously as other accounts and hey presto, its all gone!

Went from a ton to £780 then back to £1.50 in a week...!

Let that be a lesson kids, never risk more than 3%. MAX!

T'was fun!
Sorry to see it end so quickly! I got off to a bit of a luckier start, but I'm risking 20% of the account on each trade. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts...

Thanks again for the interesting thread and ideas!

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:59am   #19
Joined Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathemagician View Post
Sorry to see it end so quickly! I got off to a bit of a luckier start, but I'm risking 20% of the account on each trade. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts...

Thanks again for the interesting thread and ideas!

jj
10% per trade sounds reckless enough for such a project .
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:13am   #20
 
Mathemagician's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrader View Post
10% per trade sounds reckless enough for such a project .
Indeed. In all truthfulness, I chose 20% for a specific reason. I'm starting out with an older system (written and last modified in late 2004) that has shown fairly stable returns over time. This provides a prety good set of data for estimating optimal f, which turns out to be 24% over that time period. I figure 20% should keep us a bit below opt f to help out with short-term variations in the underlying return distribution while still being close enough to give the optimal f theory a fair go in real life. That is the most interesting part of this exercise to me.

My expectations are for the account to basically spike up and down between 2k and 20k for a period of months, always reverting fairly quickly to about 5-10k. This behavior is caused by short run-ups followed by shallow drawdowns If we're lucky, the system will catch a long enough run at some point before the account heads down to zero, and the equity curve will "break out" in a big spike. I have yet to determine specifically where to start dropping leverage (toying with fixed ratio), but I've got some time to figure that out as all reinvestment methods behave about the same when the account is small like this.

As I said, this account is pure risk capital -- an amount that is unimportant to me. I expect to learn a lot about risk and my attitude towards risk regardless of the outcome, and the risk of losing the capital in the account is a small price to pay for this knowledge.

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: rathcoole_exile
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:32am   #21
 
rathcoole_exile's Avatar
Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathemagician View Post
Indeed. In all truthfulness, I chose 20% for a specific reason. I'm starting out with an older system (written and last modified in late 2004) that has shown fairly stable returns over time. This provides a prety good set of data for estimating optimal f, which turns out to be 24% over that time period. I figure 20% should keep us a bit below opt f to help out with short-term variations in the underlying return distribution while still being close enough to give the optimal f theory a fair go in real life. That is the most interesting part of this exercise to me.

My expectations are for the account to basically spike up and down between 2k and 20k for a period of months, always reverting fairly quickly to about 5-10k. This behavior is caused by short run-ups followed by shallow drawdowns If we're lucky, the system will catch a long enough run at some point before the account heads down to zero, and the equity curve will "break out" in a big spike. I have yet to determine specifically where to start dropping leverage (toying with fixed ratio), but I've got some time to figure that out as all reinvestment methods behave about the same when the account is small like this.

As I said, this account is pure risk capital -- an amount that is unimportant to me. I expect to learn a lot about risk and my attitude towards risk regardless of the outcome, and the risk of losing the capital in the account is a small price to pay for this knowledge.

jj

JJ, sound, logical arguments and you're certainly going into this with your eyes wide open about the potential risk. I hope it pays off for you !
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 5:41pm   #22
 
Mathemagician's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Just a quick update... The account that I'm running as part of this experiment just broke through the first milestone ($5k) and will trade 2 contracts today. This is where things can get ugly, as the account struggles mightily to work its way above 5k on 1 contract before being slapped back down hard on 2 contracts, only to start the struggle all over again with 1 contract. This can go on for weeks/months and is a spot where these projects have a rather high mortality rate. If we're lucky, it'll break through at some point with a healthy run. If not, then we'll eventually hit a drawdown and get dinged out.

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:10am   #23
 
rathcoole_exile's Avatar
Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathemagician View Post
Just a quick update... The account that I'm running as part of this experiment just broke through the first milestone ($5k) and will trade 2 contracts today. This is where things can get ugly, as the account struggles mightily to work its way above 5k on 1 contract before being slapped back down hard on 2 contracts, only to start the struggle all over again with 1 contract. This can go on for weeks/months and is a spot where these projects have a rather high mortality rate. If we're lucky, it'll break through at some point with a healthy run. If not, then we'll eventually hit a drawdown and get dinged out.

jj
interesting report; please keep the updates coming ......
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:33am   #24
 
Mathemagician's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathcoole_exile View Post
interesting report; please keep the updates coming ......
Thanks! Will do. FWIW, I did start a blog for this exercise that follows the day-to-day in excruciating detail.

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:27pm   #25
 
Mathemagician's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
Just a quick update to let you know that the experimental blog account has finally reached the point where it is doing some position sizing. We traded 2 contracts for the first time (first time in a while, anyway) yesterday and this marks the beginning of the interesting part of the experiment.

jj
Mathemagician is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Hare , or the Tortoise chump Psychology, Risk & Money Management 6 Jul 31, 2007 8:25pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)