Who to follow on Twitter?

This is a discussion on Who to follow on Twitter? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I recently had the idea to put a Twitter feed next to my charts, so that while I'm trading, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:26pm   #1
Joined May 2011
Who to follow on Twitter?

I recently had the idea to put a Twitter feed next to my charts, so that while I'm trading, I can see some latest news, announcements, economic data, analysis etc etc.

I don't intend to use the information to influence my trading decisions (I already have a plan for that), but I'm looking for a feed that gives me an overall flavour of the markets.

For example, somebody might tweet that bitcoin is going crazy. Now this makes zero difference to my trading as I only trade one market and it's not crypto-currencies. But it's still nice to know what is going on in the wider world and what others are talking about.

Twitter have 'TweetDeck' which would be perfect for this. It streams the tweets in one neat column without needing to refresh.

Does anyone have a similar set-up?

Maybe this thread could be used to compile a list of the most useful handles?

Let's see it this takes off....

Big_P
Big_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:50pm   #2

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
I recently had the idea to put a Twitter feed next to my charts, so that while I'm trading, I can see some latest news, announcements, economic data, analysis etc etc.

I don't intend to use the information to influence my trading decisions (I already have a plan for that), but I'm looking for a feed that gives me an overall flavour of the markets.

For example, somebody might tweet that bitcoin is going crazy. Now this makes zero difference to my trading as I only trade one market and it's not crypto-currencies. But it's still nice to know what is going on in the wider world and what others are talking about.

Twitter have 'TweetDeck' which would be perfect for this. It streams the tweets in one neat column without needing to refresh.

Does anyone have a similar set-up?

Maybe this thread could be used to compile a list of the most useful handles?

Let's see it this takes off....

Big_P
My research (for something else) shows that people generally do not twit negative emotions, so you'll end up only on the long end of the tweets + all the pump and dumpers, in the end this will be just one more useless distraction...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:39am   #3
Joined May 2011
Big_P started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
My research (for something else) shows that people generally do not twit negative emotions, so you'll end up only on the long end of the tweets + all the pump and dumpers, in the end this will be just one more useless distraction...

That's a very valid point Quantt.

But there must be some handles that just tweet economic data, or factual info? My idea was to replicate a squawk box, but in Tweetdeck form....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:13pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
That's a very valid point Quantt.

But there must be some handles that just tweet economic data, or factual info? My idea was to replicate a squawk box, but in Tweetdeck form....
OK, here is one, not twitter and I don't use it, but it is free and close to what you describe...

https://www.financialjuice.com/home

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:38pm   #5
Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
OK, here is one, not twitter and I don't use it, but it is free and close to what you describe...

https://www.financialjuice.com/home
Quantt,

That is an excellent website. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:10pm   #6

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Quantt,

That is an excellent website. Thanks for sharing!
Glad I can help!

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:17pm   #7
Joined Mar 2018
Your head will be heavy on Twitter. It's a bad idea. Trade in silence with a clear head.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:49am   #8
Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
Your head will be heavy on Twitter. It's a bad idea. Trade in silence with a clear head.
I don't disagree with you Queen.

When trading, it's best to focus and just follow your plan and ignore all other noise.

However, my idea was to read the Twitter feed in the long periods waiting for a setup.... I hadn't planned to use Twitter as a basis of my trades, just to learn something in the downtime.

This could be a seperate discussion actually. What do others do when the market isn't showing setups? There's business news channels, websites, T2W....

What do people like to do? Surely you don't all eyeball charts for 8 hours a day?