Leaving too much on the table, or losses

This is a discussion on Leaving too much on the table, or losses within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Which do you hate more?...

View Poll Results: Which do you hate more?
Leaving too much on table? 1 20.00%
or taking a small loss? 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:55pm   #1

Joined Oct 2015
Leaving too much on the table, or losses

Which do you hate more?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:01pm   #2
Joined May 2012
Trading is a miserable experience when your protective stop is hit. It is even more miserable when you failed to have a stop in place and your position goes even further against you. Likewise, you feel miserable when your profit target is hit and then prices just continue to the moon.

Have a trade plan. Stick to it. Plan the next one and then the next. The only thing that matters is whether you traded according to the plan. Considering which one is more miserable is not very useful unless misery is your friend.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:55pm   #3

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
Which do you hate more?
Must be leaving too much on the table... Losses, (especially small) are already baked into my strategies, but if I am constantly leaving too much on the table, it means there is something fundamentally wrong with my system, so I would hate it more :-)

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:39pm   #4

Joined May 2003
The mind’s an odd beast. I really hate giving money back, much more than the irritation of an initial loss and much, much more than watching price move on after I’ve exited.
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:43pm   #5
Joined Sep 2010
I hate losing more than anything
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:49pm   #6

Joined Oct 2015
piphoe started this thread Thanks for replies. I hate leaving too much on table, operative word "too much".

I know i have to leave a little, nobodies perfect right? but where really moves in my favor and i am out because i thought that was "it"...

tha really irks me, AND tells me MAYBE just maybe smthg is wrong in my analysis. not always though, could be an outlier.

thanks again for replies, pls everyone else..
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:18pm   #7

Joined Oct 2015
piphoe started this thread just to add smthg, leaving too much on table is a problem i have still. actively working to minimize this, maybe should be happy with with a win. over-optimizing is a real concern too...oh well
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:37pm   #8

3 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
I think I prefer to earn even if not all the move than to lose because loss is something wrong at all for what we do but a small gain makes a good feeling that next time we will improve and catch the whole wave

It's just my opinion and that's how I feel and like there's the wise quote that says:
No one got poorer from a little earn

BTW have a good trading all
ForexLonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:43pm   #9

3 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Losing is my hate because when i win even a little i have the feeling that next time it will be better and i still did the right decision and im in the right path..

As one said: "No one got poor from winning little money" ... something like this..

Happy trading all!
ForexLonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:10pm   #10

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
over-optimizing is a real concern too...oh well
Frankly I think the under optimizing is even worse...

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:13pm   #11

Joined Oct 2015
piphoe started this thread "you can't go broke taking a profit".

i don't think that's true.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:15pm   #12

Joined Oct 2015
piphoe started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Frankly I think the under optimizing is even worse...
interesting, pls explain a bit more by what you mean by "under-optimizing"
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:21pm   #13

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
interesting, pls explain a bit more by what you mean by "under-optimizing"
I guess, what I meant is: if you do not back test enough (at least 1 market cycle minimum), you are running the risk to constantly leave money on the table and limit your wining and consequently limit your ability to compound your winnings...

Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:29pm   #14

Joined Oct 2015
piphoe started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
I guess, what I meant is: if you do not back test enough (at least 1 market cycle minimum), you are running the risk to constantly leave money on the table and limit your wining and consequently limit your ability to compound your winnings...
Quantt, would define each so we are all on same page.

over-optimization? under-optimization?

we all have our own concept of each, so lets say explicitly what we are each talking about.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:44pm   #15

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Quantt, would define each so we are all on same page.

over-optimization? under-optimization?

we all have our own concept of each, so lets say explicitly what we are each talking about.
One example would be betting size: if you read Alexander Elder's books where he is promoting risking only 1 or 2 percent, but this could be under optimization compared to using actual data and Kelly criterion for example to calculate the exact for betting size for your strategy...

If Kelly calculation is returning let's say 6% for back testing of 20 years - this could be an over optimization, because the future winning and loses cannot be quantified...

In this case as suggested as one of the first quants, maybe half a Kelly is the best to be used in the stock market - 3% in our example...