How worth is a diversity of investment ?

This is a discussion on How worth is a diversity of investment ? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hello everyone, I'm a complete beginner in trading and I would like to invest in various ways in order to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:28pm   #1

1 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
How worth is a diversity of investment ?

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete beginner in trading and I would like to invest in various ways in order to limit my losses in general. I'm not looking especially for a short term benefit, I can wait 2 or 3 years, or even more if necessary. For now, I would like to invest a bit in cryptocurrencies. By the way I have a relative good background in mathematics and statistics.

My question is : Since a lot of cryptocurrencies are "created" every year and only some of them will inflate, in how many cryptocurrencies do I have to invest in order to be sure to get a benefit (even if it is not a lot) (on a one year scale) please ? Do you know some theorems, articles, papers, books, videos or authors which answer to this question please ? Some mathematical researchs which weigh the possible benefits, risks, losses in function of the amount of different investments/rates ?

Thank you in advance for you answer !

Have a nice day !
Olscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:41am   #2

Joined Jan 2013
cryptocurrencies are still in the process of getting listed on the major exchanges. i'm not even sure how you'd value them, let alone diversify in them to limit drawdowns. they look more like trading vehicles at the moment. in this environment, if you want to start investing long term, you might want to look at just buying each of the major assets classes in equal amounts, basically precious metals, treasuries, and stocks, ie tlt, gld, spy on the american exchange. start with an initial purchase, dollar cost average on a periodic basis, and buy more on major weakness. don't get anxious. the markets are going up, but they are also not cheap at these levels. build a position over time. investing should actually be boring and systematic.
jjames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:09pm   #3

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscream View Post
My question is : Since a lot of cryptocurrencies are "created" every year and only some of them will inflate, in how many cryptocurrencies do I have to invest in order to be sure to get a benefit (even if it is not a lot) (on a one year scale) please ?

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:49am   #4

4 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
++

To author: try with any other way for investing. For example, stock market, real estate. Try to be more stable with stable investing instruments. Cryptocurrencies are not a good source for beginning.
Daru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:32am   #5

9 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Try to invest in a few 3-4 crypto-currencies, but choose not those that were created this year, but those that have been on the market for at least more than a year.
FPin is offline   Reply With Quote