How Damaging Is My Sleep/Wake Cycle To My Trading?

This is a discussion on How Damaging Is My Sleep/Wake Cycle To My Trading? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by piphoe 30 mins treadmill & 30 mins weightlifting 5days/week. no breakfast, light lunch. Joking aside, this is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:17pm   #16

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
30 mins treadmill & 30 mins weightlifting 5days/week. no breakfast, light lunch.
Joking aside, this is something I started doing few years ago + short nap after lunch and frankly I feel like I am having a second productive day in the afternoon...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:56pm   #17
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Joking aside, this is something I started doing few years ago + short nap after lunch and frankly I feel like I am having a second productive day in the afternoon...
Seems to be a somewhat common thing to do from what I see. At least with professional traders anyway.

It makes complete sense though. There are numerous cognitive benefits to exercise. And meditation for that matter....

I am definitely a proponent of naps!
Some of histories greatest people were daily nappers

I really should structure my days... I've very little discipline/structure.
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:38am   #18

Joined May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
Hey folks!

I tend to stay up late (approx. 3am GMT) and wake up late (approx. 12pm GMT), getting on average 9 hours sleep. How would this, in your opinion, negatively impact my Forex trading? I am residing in GMT zone.

Of course I have a some idea but I'd like to hear from you.
Hi Nowler

Have you thought about trading when you sleeping.

Oscar
Oscar Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:36pm   #19
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Reed View Post
Hi Nowler

Have you thought about trading when you sleeping.

Oscar
Hello Oscar,

Yep, I have thought about trading while I sleep.

What's that saying...? "If you don't make money while you sleep, you will work until you die"!

I have tried putting in entry orders at particular levels where I reckon the probabilities are with me. This has worked numerous times, but it has also went horrifically bad on a number of occasions. I am spread betting and I have been dragged into trades (and stopped out of trades) because of the ridiculous widening of the spread. It's just too risky. Granted some of these horrifically bad entry order trades were on less liquid markets. Perhaps I can give it a try again but only do it on the majors...

I have also decided that I will learn how to write code (Python) so I can make automated systems. This will be further down the line though as I have my hands full with learning the rest of the aspects of trading. I have started some HTML but I haven't even finished that yet. And that's far easier to learn than something like Python, or worse again, C++
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:11am   #20

3 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
9 Hours of sleep is enough and if it is about the trading instruments then, in that case, you will have to look when there are liquidity and volatility in the market for the instrument you trade.
trucejacob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:58pm   #21
Joined Sep 2010
Jesus I haven't had 9 hours of sleep for years
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:03pm   #22

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
Jesus I haven't had 9 hours of sleep for years
I'm on the other end of the scale - I turn in when food starts getting scarce and wake up when the snow starts to melt

....but yes, as already pointed out, it depends what you trade and where you trade it and your own preferred session/s.

My secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQG1K_9Nvvk
cantagril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:04am   #23

Joined Feb 2016
I don't understand why you should change your lifestyle, especially a sleep-wake cycle in order to adapt for a trading session. You can use stops or change the trading session. There will be no good if you are always tired and sleepy.
hscot is offline   Reply With Quote