Ray Dalio's Principles - Any Good?

This is a discussion on Ray Dalio's Principles - Any Good? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I was wondering if anyone has read the Ray Dalio book Principles and if it's any good for trading advice. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:40am   #1
Joined Oct 2008
Ray Dalio's Principles - Any Good?

I was wondering if anyone has read the Ray Dalio book Principles and if it's any good for trading advice. I believe it may be more for the businesses side and running a hedge fund rather than being useful for trading?
Anyone with any views or recommendations?
Thanks

Last edited by Jason101; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:47am.
Jason101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:14pm   #2

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
I'm interested in both forex and stock trading. But I don't understand how the calculations works in to be precise, forex trading. Margin, Lot Size, and Pip values.
How do I go about it. Please I need help. Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Alfred_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:15pm   #3
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
his principles all revolve around long term and short term debt as his key to determining where cycles are. It is good material but has absolutely no value to day trading but will be useful for long term investments. He has a video on his principles on youtube, check it out.
FXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:18pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason101 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has read the Ray Dalio book Principles and if it's any good for trading advice. I believe it may be more for the businesses side and running a hedge fund rather than being useful for trading?
Anyone with any views or recommendations?
Thanks
Frankly, I think he is a bit out of his mind, but because he is supper rich, we call him eccentric... if he was a common bloke, he would be plain crazy :-)

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:40pm   #5
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Frankly, I think he is a bit out of his mind, but because he is supper rich, we call him eccentric... if he was a common bloke, he would be plain crazy :-)
Well, we have to stick with the paradigm that the controllers prefer.

Part (a large part) of that is rich people get to talk about serious issues that they have no clue about ...just because they are rich. Because, as you suggest, money is more important than intelligence.. or experience...or expertise, or qualifications...or morals...or principals.

If you're rich, you just get to buy the whole debate for a few minutes. That's why Richard Branson is trying to buy the weather. I'm very keen to get his opinion on that. Aren't you? You should be, he owns an Island.

Then people whose jobs depend on it listen politely, conferring acceptance on them, while implying that the rest of us no matter how, ugly supid or repugnant could also be a celebrity and taken seriously, if only we were prepared to screw everybody else over just to make a buck.

The other side of the paradigm is that poor people are usually more useful to the controllers as examples of stupidity.

Dragged out on quiz shows so they can get all questions wrong. That's why there are so many 'scroungers on benefits' reality tv shows.

Just designed to take your minds off the people who screwed you out of all your money and then hid their ill gotten gains offshore.

In these post truth, post intelligence post binary times, one thing remains constant. Bull****.
David Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan , Lee Shepherd
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:14am   #6
Joined Oct 2008
Jason101 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knight View Post
Well, we have to stick with the paradigm that the controllers prefer.

Part (a large part) of that is rich people get to talk about serious issues that they have no clue about ...just because they are rich. Because, as you suggest, money is more important than intelligence.. or experience...or expertise, or qualifications...or morals...or principals.

In these post truth, post intelligence post binary times, one thing remains constant. Bull****.........
Well, the guy is a self made billionaire though trading. And this is a trading website. He started with nothing, he was a caddy from a poor household and started trading at the age of twelve. Now he is one of the richest men in the US.
Why would you assume there is nothing to take from his views and approaches?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:04am   #7

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason101 View Post
Well, the guy is a self made billionaire though trading. And this is a trading website. He started with nothing, he was a caddy from a poor household and started trading at the age of twelve. Now he is one of the richest men in the US.
Why would you assume there is nothing to take from his views and approaches?
Well, well, I do not dispute the fact that he is probably a very smart man and self made billionaire, but reading trough his manifesto and his extreme transparency ideas, not only there is nothing to be learned by the retail trader but he is coming off really should we say "bat**** eccentric"

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:16am   #8
Joined Oct 2008
Jason101 started this thread I recon you got to be a bit mad in this world to do anything abnormal like rags to billionaire.