Why do people start with small accounts?

This is a discussion on Why do people start with small accounts? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Yes some people do start with small account. There might be various reasons behind it that they are entering just ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:32pm   #16
 
3 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Yes some people do start with small account. There might be various reasons behind it that they are entering just to try and check what exactly trade is because it is not easy as it seems. Another reason can be that they cannot afford to lose more money or cannot invest more money than what they have invested.
trucejacob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:43am   #17
Joined Apr 2016
Because they do not have the courage to take risk of money to earn something big from a market.
june_girl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:27pm   #18
 
piphoe's Avatar
Joined Oct 2015
A few START with a large account and end up with a SMALLER one

Let's not forget about them
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:06pm   #19
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
A few START with a large account and end up with a SMALLER one

Let's not forget about them
Yes, like some idiot did £5-£30 a point. Now he doesn't dare to do 1p/point.

I went small after 5 years of study having realised what the market was. Then I went modestly bigger. Then it grew like nobody's business. I have crossed 6x seed capital growth in account balance terms only yesterday.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: piphoe
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:41pm   #20
Joined Nov 2016
seekingTruth16 started this thread I wasn't referring to people that want to learn, play around, have a gamble with small amounts on the side. I mean people who think they can make a living at this, starting out with small accounts. It's just not realistic, and it's not a good way to grow your wealth and pay for your lifestyle, as a job will do that much better.
seekingTruth16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:07am   #21
 
Illodius's Avatar
 
5 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I've also started trading with small deposit. I didn't know if I was going to like trading or not, I just wanted to try.
Illodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:19pm   #22
Joined Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by june_girl7 View Post
Because they do not have the courage to take risk of money to earn something big from a market.
Maybe the courage point can be countable however start with small amounts can help us to check the brokers processes like withdrawal etc before moving the entire money to the broker's wallet.
progix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:05pm   #23
 
4 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Why would anyone want to start with 50k to 100k and see their large account dwindle?There are few here and there that can make a success of even 1k account, while others blow much larger ones. Since the likelihood of failure is high when starting out why expose yourself to such a large account size? Its better to make mistakes, learn by trial and error, etc with small (but big enough that one or two losses do not blow the account) account.

When it comes to trading (not investing) if you are not increasing the account size by 20% a month (not year) then you really shouldn't be in this game.

If you are looking to make £2k on a £10k account after a whole year, its better to be working, not trading.
tradernumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:30pm   #24
 
piphoe's Avatar
Joined Oct 2015
why does everyone talk about like "20%/month" trading results like its interest or something akin to an investment acct? this is TRADING, not CD's, or some other interest bearing acct. aren't there people here that can take a 5K account and with little DD turn it into 100K in a year??

i always dreamed of being one of those people someday.
__________________
I said, ‘Mr Stupid, why risk everything on one trade? Why not make your life a pursuit of happiness rather than pain?’
Paul Tudor Jones
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:22pm   #25
 
piphoe's Avatar
Joined Oct 2015
and I'm not talking about ?martingaling" their position doubling up their contracts with acct size..

i mean staying 3-5 contracts the WHOLE way to 100K from 5K. There is some that can do this, right?

i no its not easy or everyone would be doing it but assumed there are some that can and have
__________________
I said, ‘Mr Stupid, why risk everything on one trade? Why not make your life a pursuit of happiness rather than pain?’
Paul Tudor Jones
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:11pm   #26
 
Quantt's Avatar
Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
why does everyone talk about like "20%/month" trading results like its interest or something akin to an investment acct? this is TRADING, not CD's, or some other interest bearing acct. aren't there people here that can take a 5K account and with little DD turn it into 100K in a year??

i always dreamed of being one of those people someday.
I am with you, those people talking about 10%, 20% a month as a given have not traded for very long... there is no such a performance here...

One of My favorite examples: Compound 10% a month over 10 years starting $10k and you'll be a billionaire, with over $1.5B in your account and I am yet to see someone doing it here :-)

With "only" 20% a month, you'll be the richest man in history of the planet with trillions!!! $217351110304003.62
__________________
"If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die." Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:22pm   #27
 
4 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Maybe 20% a month is too steep, though one should, when fully proficient, be aiming for at least 10% to 15% a month. If you treat trading like investing, an altogether different game, why not use the trading trading funds to invest in the first place? Good investors are a lot wealthier because the funds they invest are far larger, and they usually invest with fund managers. You do hear about billionaire investors but never billioanire traders, that's because mega-wealthy investors usually have significant stake in the companies themselves e.g. Buffett, or fund managers who pool the money of their clients to buy up sizeable stake.
tradernumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:30pm   #28
 
piphoe's Avatar
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradernumber View Post
Maybe 20% a month is too steep, though one should, when fully proficient, be aiming for at least 10% to 15% a month. If you treat trading like investing, an altogether different game, why not use the trading trading funds to invest in the first place? Good investors are a lot wealthier because the funds they invest are far larger, and they usually invest with fund managers. You do hear about billionaire investors but never billioanire traders, that's because mega-wealthy investors usually have significant stake in the companies themselves e.g. Buffett, or fund managers who pool the money of their clients to buy up sizeable stake.
when i open my futures actt, i'm not going be AIMING for a %'age..thats masters of biz admin BS I WILL BE

aiming to take make a few hundred every day off a 5K acct, and i'll be happy as a lark with that
__________________
I said, ‘Mr Stupid, why risk everything on one trade? Why not make your life a pursuit of happiness rather than pain?’
Paul Tudor Jones
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:58pm   #29
Joined Feb 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
why does everyone talk about like "20%/month" trading results like its interest or something akin to an investment acct? this is TRADING, not CD's, or some other interest bearing acct. aren't there people here that can take a 5K account and with little DD turn it into 100K in a year??

i always dreamed of being one of those people someday.
No there is nobody here who can do that. That's a 32% monthly return. There are some unintelligent enough to believe that 1 or 2 months of this level of return means it is possible to sustain. I wouldn't call them so much fooled by randomness as utterly confused by mathematics.

If you can make 32% a month on a liquid basket of products like FX - trading low-med frequency, congratulations, you will be worth 82 million in 3 years time from a starting cap of 5k.

Not that you'd bother since if you build a 12 month record of returning 32% a month with a flat eq curve and no weekend holding as you're suggesting, you're about to become the wealthiest fund manager who ever drew breath within half a decade.
Fill_Or_Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:01pm   #30
 
piphoe's Avatar
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill_Or_Kill View Post
No there is nobody here who can do that. That's a 32% monthly return. There are some unintelligent enough to believe that 1 or 2 months of this level of return means it is possible to sustain. I wouldn't call them so much fooled by randomness as utterly confused by mathematics.

If you can make 32% a month on a liquid basket of products like FX - trading low-med frequency, congratulations, you will be worth 82 million in 3 years time from a starting cap of 5k.

Not that you'd bother since if you build a 12 month record of returning 32% a month with a flat eq curve and no weekend holding as you're suggesting, you're about to become the wealthiest fund manager who ever drew breath within half a decade.
i think i could do it, and not tyring be arrogant here, i.t.h.i.n.k.i.c.a.n.d.o.i,t

ie, take a 5K acct too 100K on no more than 5 contracts over a year

i think i can do it, haven't done it but i lol think i can
__________________
I said, ‘Mr Stupid, why risk everything on one trade? Why not make your life a pursuit of happiness rather than pain?’
Paul Tudor Jones
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Accounts <$5k TODA.1 Forex 21 Apr 3, 2015 6:37am
Accounts with small Initial stakes vgrade Spread Betting & CFDs 6 Jul 10, 2008 7:41am
Spreadbetting - Just for small accounts, Day Traders or Shorts ??? *JDR* Spread Betting & CFDs 9 Sep 7, 2006 8:29pm
Trading with small accounts jnunes Forex 7 Jul 3, 2005 11:26am
US Stock Brokers for Small Accounts? clylbw Brokerages 5 Mar 22, 2004 10:42pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)