How much money and time have you spent on education?

This is a discussion on How much money and time have you spent on education? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hi folks! How's everyone doin? I'm doing a little research for myself (really its just about if i should feel ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:44pm   #1

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
How much money and time have you spent on education?

Hi folks! How's everyone doin?

I'm doing a little research for myself (really its just about if i should feel guilty for spending more than 7K bucks on courses so far haha).

If you are willin to share how much have you already spent on books, courses and so on and how long have you been trying to succeed it would be great!

If this catches on you can get an idea how are ya standing among other folks and if you should feel good or get the heck to work! So only honest replies please.

Thanks!
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:13pm   #2
Joined Apr 2014
I guess the answer would be 'whatever works for you'.

Personally - about £800, most of that in the last month or so when I decided to get more serious about trading.

I've certainly learned a lot from the 'investment' in training, but too soon to say yet if it will convert into increased profits

Rich
richy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:53am   #3
Joined Nov 2016
Just on education i'v spent around $2500 and it was the best investment. I bought a few books but that is different because you will have to spend money to grow as a trader. Books don't cost as much as the courses anyway.
futures oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:34am   #4

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
It's not about how much you spent, its about what you got for what you spent. Until you have a deep understanding of the previous statement you are the sucker in every market you participate in. What did you get for your 7000 is the better question? I haven't spent that much on explicit "trading education" and I have been in the sport for 10 years as of this summer.
ConsensusArb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:42am   #5

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
There isn't much that I have seen will allow you to shorten the learning curve other than being able to mimic an expert. The problem with that is that neophytes don't know what an expert actually looks like, so in general you have to take your lumps to learn what's going on. The goal is to make the learning as cheap as possible. Expensive mistakes are bad mistakes on or off the exchange.
ConsensusArb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:12am   #6
Joined Nov 2011
I spent very little and read a lot of books. After a lucky streak it went pear shaped for a few years.

How much did that cost me? 3 years of no income, 3 years with a bleeding account. if i could have payed to shorten those years how much would it have been worth it to me? a tough question because there are no guarantees.

The problem is, and this is just my 2 pennyworth, i believe that most of the training outfits are run by failed traders who can talk the talk, but cant walk the walk so to speak and that is why they set up a training business. Maybe my short sightedness cost me during that period but i have friends who have paid up for training and been none the wiser.

Good luck with your learning period its a tough time which ever way you choose to go , my advice is to trade a small account and keep losses small until something clicks for you

Chalky
Chalky_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:37pm   #7
Joined Oct 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Hi folks! How's everyone doin?

I'm doing a little research for myself (really its just about if i should feel guilty for spending more than 7K bucks on courses so far haha).

If you are willin to share how much have you already spent on books, courses and so on and how long have you been trying to succeed it would be great!

If this catches on you can get an idea how are ya standing among other folks and if you should feel good or get the heck to work! So only honest replies please.

Thanks!
Well if you have given so much money for courses you should open a thread with live trades so that the people here see if its worth it
nero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:44pm   #8
Joined Oct 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsensusArb View Post
There isn't much that I have seen will allow you to shorten the learning curve other than being able to mimic an expert. The problem with that is that neophytes don't know what an expert actually looks like, so in general you have to take your lumps to learn what's going on. The goal is to make the learning as cheap as possible. Expensive mistakes are bad mistakes on or off the exchange.
Thats the answer for all here,dont spent money for courses,except if its 30 a month.
Buy books instead and watch forums for ideas.
Well you could give 10000 dollars for a course and it could worth it but i have to say that those that know things that worth that much will not sell them, for many reasons
nero1 is offline   Reply With Quote