How much money and time have you spent on education?

This is a discussion on How much money and time have you spent on education? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by ConsensusArb It's not about how much you spent, its about what you got for what you spent. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:20pm   #25

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Bob Brown started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsensusArb View Post
It's not about how much you spent, its about what you got for what you spent. Until you have a deep understanding of the previous statement you are the sucker in every market you participate in. What did you get for your 7000 is the better question? I haven't spent that much on explicit "trading education" and I have been in the sport for 10 years as of this summer.
Very good point! My original question was purely curious, so no need to judge spent money as good or bad thing.
But to give you an answer I do feel that portion of my 7k was spent poorly and I didn't get what I paid for. On the other hand, mainly with books I got many times more from them than I've paid.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:24pm   #26

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky_trader View Post
I spent very little and read a lot of books. After a lucky streak it went pear shaped for a few years.

How much did that cost me? 3 years of no income, 3 years with a bleeding account. if i could have payed to shorten those years how much would it have been worth it to me? a tough question because there are no guarantees.

The problem is, and this is just my 2 pennyworth, i believe that most of the training outfits are run by failed traders who can talk the talk, but cant walk the walk so to speak and that is why they set up a training business. Maybe my short sightedness cost me during that period but i have friends who have paid up for training and been none the wiser.

Good luck with your learning period its a tough time which ever way you choose to go , my advice is to trade a small account and keep losses small until something clicks for you

Chalky
Ah yes, a good chunk of the 7k went to those who go by the rule "If you can't do the thing, teach the thing" hehe

And thanks for your sharing!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:27pm   #27

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
Blowing accounts and losing money and time are considered cost of education as well , so its not just money spent on seminars or books ...
Sure! Books and courses was just to name a few. Everyone is free to add what they feel like the cost of trading.

Are you willing to share your score so far?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:33pm   #28

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by progix View Post
I guess money spent on education is also like investment which yields returns on the basis of what you have invested on it. Those who have become billionaires now did paid attention toward their personal development.
Only it is difficult to tell which personal investment is worth it in this case. But other than that I agree! My original question is not judgemental

Care to add your own score?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:44am   #29

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Very good point! My original question was purely curious, so no need to judge spent money as good or bad thing.
But to give you an answer I do feel that portion of my 7k was spent poorly and I didn't get what I paid for. On the other hand, mainly with books I got many times more from them than I've paid.
Not a judgement... Just stating what I know to be the case in the most succinct way that I know how. There is no relationship between the price of something and its value. I was trying to make that clear. Everyone in a market knows the price of a good/service (if the market is liquid). VERY FEW know the value. You don't know the game until you know the difference.
ConsensusArb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:30pm   #30
Joined Jun 2016
on education i spend $900 about sofar. practice n patients!!
Aiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:47pm   #31

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsensusArb View Post
Not a judgement... Just stating what I know to be the case in the most succinct way that I know how. There is no relationship between the price of something and its value. I was trying to make that clear. Everyone in a market knows the price of a good/service (if the market is liquid). VERY FEW know the value. You don't know the game until you know the difference.
Yes but perceived value is different for everyone (like beauty), that's why markets are always searching for it. It moves with traders coming in and out.

Anyways, how much did you have to invest to be profitable? How long did it take?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:39am   #32

7 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feek1995 View Post
Forex is a risky business and everyone should learn Forex. So i also spent some bucks to learn forex ,buying some books,hiring a mentor and attending some webinars. So now i started making some money with forex but i am still learning forex.
Hi Feek, how long did it take you and how much did it cost you?