A higher lot on a small account or a smaller lot on a big account?

This is a discussion on A higher lot on a small account or a smaller lot on a big account? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Which is better? The way I see it, if one's trading strategy is sound and robust, a higher drawdown percentage ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:29pm   #1
Joined Oct 2012
A higher lot on a small account or a smaller lot on a big account?

Which is better? The way I see it, if one's trading strategy is sound and robust, a higher drawdown percentage on a small account should be of no concern while a lot less cash is at risk with the same profit potential.

What do you think?
babyjake1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:23pm   #2

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjake1961 View Post
Which is better? The way I see it, if one's trading strategy is sound and robust, a higher drawdown percentage on a small account should be of no concern while a lot less cash is at risk with the same profit potential.

What do you think?
First get your "sound and robust" strategy that persists over time and can survive something like the pound's flash crash the other day. You usually only need one of those to wipe out a small account carrying too high a risk - and one will come along, sure as eggs are eggs.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:04pm   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
. . . and one will come along, sure as eggs are eggs.
. . . sooner or later. Ain't that the truth!
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:10pm   #4

Joined Nov 2003
It depends on what your broker offers in a sense, and in part your faith that the broker can make good on their offerings. I like the idea of a small acc (relative to your risk capital) in the sense that if SHF, regardless, youre in a position to negotiate a deal.
As for 'robust strategy'. If your trading big size (relative to acc) youre at big risk, period. If youre trading with stop and market orders, ie indicated price or worse, then you cant really define your risk imo.
If your idea of risk management is a full acc. Say 2% over 20 pips from entry to your stop @2580 in GBPUSD the other night, well, your ideas re risk might be redefined when the fills come in.

Last edited by darktone; Oct 9, 2016 at 7:16pm.
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:06pm   #5
Joined Jun 2016
for risk managment its always beter to use smaller lots on big account
Aiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:47pm   #6

Joined Aug 2016
The larger the lot - the greater the risk. The greater the risk, the more you rely on your knowledge or luck. I can never be 100% sure in forex forecasts. For the whole trading experience, I've seen a lot. Therefore it is better to rely on risk management and trading with a smaller volume.