Hedging Breakout Trading Idea. Thanks

This is a discussion on Hedging Breakout Trading Idea. Thanks within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hi Folks, Itrade channel breakout retests. I like to see crystal clear line of multiple tested resistance, a good break ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:42pm   #1
Joined May 2011
Hedging Breakout Trading Idea. Thanks

Hi Folks,

Itrade channel breakout retests. I like to see crystal clear line of multiple tested resistance, a good break out and then the retest if it comes back.

I just have a question about hedging, a good trade can hold if the market drifts lower, but unlike the sharp drops of late, even very strong support gets dragged though and stopping out.

Would a simple purchase puts on the SPX every time OB on daily? Short the SPX in a spread bet account?

Reverse trades of the same style? So short channal break downs?

The problem I see with a normal trade short, is that the market could drift higher, stopping out the short, then sods law the markets tank. So then I have a loosing hedge and loosing trades.

Above all I would like a break even scenario if the market tank, whereby if all the longs loose, then the hedge will make up for it.

THanks
monkey180 is offline Commercial chat room   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:24pm   #2
Joined Feb 2002
I understand the mechanics of hedge trades, I know they're used in the professionals' arena, and I know that minimising losses is a good principle.

But you seem to propose a counter trader for every primary trade. This will be really expensive and is surely just substituting one type of risk for another - so you're taking at least as large a risk but its just been re-named. By the same logic, as soon as the primary is closed and you're naked on the hedge, don't you need another long to hedge the hedge?

If you take a naked long and the market tanks, you've always got the possibility of doing a stop and reverse and opening a short. There's a delay, but this delay buys you confirmation of the bearish move - if you wouldn't take the short you would certainly have been wrong to open the hedge.

On the other hand, if you're trading a market in which the distance between going long and going short equals your stop, I would wonder if its the right market conditions for a high probability trade.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote