more liquid? FTSE or Eurostoxx?

This is a discussion on more liquid? FTSE or Eurostoxx? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; We all know the ES is one of the most liquid futures contracts to trade but which of the European ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 2012, 1:50pm   #1

Joined Aug 2011
more liquid? FTSE or Eurostoxx?

We all know the ES is one of the most liquid futures contracts to trade but which of the European markets is the most liquid?
Eurostoxx, FTSE, DAX?
Sidekicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 1:55pm   #2

Joined Apr 2012
Re: more liquid? FTSE or Eurostoxx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekicker View Post
We all know the ES is one of the most liquid futures contracts to trade but which of the European markets is the most liquid?
Eurostoxx, FTSE, DAX?
All of them are very very liquid markets for "normal" retail trading, you can add the German Bund as well....
would be another thing if you trade "massive" sizes, but even if that were the case, take into account that all the Prop trading firms and hedge funds out there do trade them actively in several time scopes in a daily basis....
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 1:58pm   #3
Joined Feb 2012

Quote:
Eurostoxx, FTSE, DAX?
FESX by a long way - far more than the other two put together.
The Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 2:05pm   #4

Joined Aug 2011

Sidekicker started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leopard View Post
FESX by a long way - far more than the other two put together.
Doesn't this allow anyone with the funds to push the FTSE around a lot more?
I mean I know the flipper used to do stuff in the bonds so of course it's possible in any contract at illiquid times...

...and on that note if the FESX is more liquid, why are SB and CFD companies charging 2 pt spreads on it in the UK? Traded less than the FTSE in UK maybe?

Last edited by Sidekicker; May 28, 2012 at 2:11pm.
Sidekicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 2:16pm   #5

Joined Apr 2012

Maybe I'm totally wrong here.. but I read once that German Bund was the most traded instrument in the world not that far time ago... so if the "flipper" pushed it back then with massive orders I think any other market could be pushed till a certain way as well
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 3:24pm   #6

Joined Feb 2009

In what little I've read (there isn't a great deal out there) about the Flipper, he wasn't trying to push the market back, he was assessing which way the market was likely to go anyway without him, placing an order to indicate that he wanted to go the other direction and then flipping that order. I think he said quite clearly, he couldnt' stand in the way of a trend.
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 4:08pm   #7
Joined Feb 2012

Quote:
Doesn't this allow anyone with the funds to push the FTSE around a lot more?
I mean I know the flipper used to do stuff in the bonds so of course it's possible in any contract at illiquid times...

...and on that note if the FESX is more liquid, why are SB and CFD companies charging 2 pt spreads on it in the UK? Traded less than the FTSE in UK maybe?
Sure, but that is a dangerous game.

As for the bucket shops, you'll have to ask them. I imagine it's just something that UK punters want to punt on more, so they're more concerned with roping them in - so I think you're right about that.

I'll see if I can get the average daily volume - the difference will be massive. I have a feeling that FESX is somewhere in the region of a million cars a day.
The Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote