What Is Price Action Trading?

This is a discussion on What Is Price Action Trading? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by brewski1984 All I kept seeing in that long post was the word profit repeated over and over ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:54pm   #15

Joined May 2009
Re: What Is Price Action Trading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
All I kept seeing in that long post was the word profit repeated over and over again!
profittaikng as per rules all profits off table

On reflection I did repeat myself several times but I used the term stop as frequently. For the benefit of the ill educated stop=stop LOSS.
Stop as above at 1:1.5 stop

Last edited by Bint_Crusher; Jan 4, 2012 at 9:56pm. Reason: Add flourishing proof of statement Stop was starten in uppercase
Bint_Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:20pm   #16
Joined Sep 2010

Ah man don't ruin my dreams with talk of stops! Stops don't buy you lambos!
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:46pm   #17

Joined May 2009

Its just a quick basic strategy to trade ranges. The cable is a fave of mine and its probably against all the people who say make money on the way down as well as the way up. Why be greedy get a rule based structure and stick with it.
No indicators except maybe a moving average and a parabolic sar to get me to move the stop.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:57am   #18
Joined Jan 2012

There are various technical indicators that are derived from historical data. These indicators are designed with a goal to predict the future direction of the price. I have always interpreted price action trading is trading methodology based on these indicators (as opposed to based on economy, balance sheet)
ratmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:04am   #19
Joined Nov 2011

This is how it works:

You see the price, and then you take action against that price, hence "Price action"

The action you take against the price is one of two things.....buy or sell.

It really is as simple as that.

Kitchen Sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:09pm   #20
Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmpower View Post
There are various technical indicators that are derived from historical data. These indicators are designed with a goal to predict the future direction of the price. I have always interpreted price action trading is trading methodology based on these indicators (as opposed to based on economy, balance sheet)
Price action trading refers to trading based solely or mainly off price patterns alone. Sure, indicators are derived from price, but when price forms repetitive patterns itself, what's the point of looking at indicators? If you learn to analyze the raw price action of the market you will spot setups that occur again and again, so you don't really need indicators in my opinion.
Tradingkid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:24pm   #21

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradingkid09 View Post
Price action trading refers to trading based solely or mainly off price patterns alone. Sure, indicators are derived from price, but when price forms repetitive patterns itself, what's the point of looking at indicators? If you learn to analyze the raw price action of the market you will spot setups that occur again and again, so you don't really need indicators in my opinion.
I agree with you to a greater extent, but people did not develop and publish these indicators because they SUCK. MOst of them are a derivative of a Moving Average or distance between opening and closing prices bt the very fact that some geek has taken the effort to chart their relationship does not mean that they SUCK. Google robots that dont suck and yu will see what I mean.:whis tling