How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK

This is a discussion on How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by BeginnerJoe Thank you. Glad to have some expert enlightenment in this threadz. Do you know people from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:41pm   #16
Joined Oct 2006
Re: How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerJoe View Post
Thank you. Glad to have some expert enlightenment in this threadz. Do you know people from babypips or something ?

You can definitely trust those YouTube videos, nobody ever fakes them or posts crap there.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:42pm   #17
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
You can definitely trust those YouTube videos, nobody ever fakes them or posts crap there.
Maybe it's not crap, and maybe that's what really happens. You been to a hedge fund to know better ?
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:00pm   #18
Joined Jun 2008

this thread is moronic (the type of person who asks these questions couldn’t make money if they knew what the closing price was going to be on Monday) but no1 would set up a HF in the UK and running a ponzi scheme is pretty much impossible if your using a reputable prime broker/fund administrator (I’m no expert but some HFs are structured wherby the manager is seperate from the actual LLC fund and acts an “advisor” with no actual "access" to the funds). a lot of UK HFs are listed in Ireland (some like Brevan Howard even list in London) so to say they are loosely regulated isn't always true.
cr6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:20pm   #19
Joined Jun 2010

davidh1819 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr6196 View Post
this thread is moronic (the type of person who asks these questions couldnít make money if they knew what the closing price was going to be on Monday) but no1 would set up a HF in the UK and running a ponzi scheme is pretty much impossible if your using a reputable prime broker/fund administrator (Iím no expert but some HFs are structured wherby the manager is seperate from the actual LLC fund and acts an ďadvisorĒ with no actual "access" to the funds). a lot of UK HFs are listed in Ireland (some like Brevan Howard even list in London) so to say they are loosely regulated isn't always true.
Iv been making reasonable and consistent returns trading ever since I started I assure you I can make money if I knew the closing price this Monday.

I asked a simple question on how one starts his own hedge fund and all I get is an insult, people talking about ponzi schemes and joking about my question if you don't have the answer or anything constructive to say please don't leave a comment this forum is here to help people out

and for those who think a Ponzi scheme is not illegal feel free to start one up and see how long it takes to get banged up!
davidh1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:48pm   #20

Joined Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh1819 View Post
Iv been making reasonable and consistent returns trading ever since I started I assure you I can make money if I knew the closing price this Monday.

I asked a simple question on how one starts his own hedge fund and all I get is an insult, people talking about ponzi schemes and joking about my question if you don't have the answer or anything constructive to say please don't leave a comment this forum is here to help people out

and for those who think a Ponzi scheme is not illegal feel free to start one up and see how long it takes to get banged up!
Its sad how people ask a genuine question and then get called all sorts of names....

Interesting thread i think, how would one get regulated to trade others money?

I mean, if you can get good returns and pass on a small bit of it, could be a winner
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:27am   #21
Joined Jun 2011

It never ceases to amaze me people who know how to trade and make good money need free advice. Further, why they need other people's money. Can't they just use the markets as a cash machine ? Lastly, why do they feel they own the forum and dictate what people can and cannot say ? Does having unverified ability to trade somehow gives them ownership of forums ? One final point, would they like to start an offshore bank at the same time ?

Last edited by BeginnerJoe; Jul 17, 2011 at 1:50am.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:25am   #22

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me people who know how to trade and make good money need free advice. Further, why they need other people's money. Can't they just use the markets as a cash machine ? Lastly, why do they feel they own the forum and dictate what people can and cannot say ? Does having unverified ability to trade somehow gives them ownership of forums ? One final point, would they like to start an offshore bank at the same time ?
I think it has something to do with making *decent money* and making *huge insane money*.

Greed comes into play here.

Making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or making 10s of millions.
safvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:34am   #23

Joined Mar 2011

That was for Joe

I agree with your post above joe about the trading others money part, you could make a lot more profits trading a 6 or a 7 figure sum than a 4 or a 5 figure one... and if you had agreed a fixed rate of say 20% per year you could make a massive amount if your performance is much higher

Last edited by Doomberg; Jul 17, 2011 at 11:28am.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:47am   #24
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by safvan View Post
I think it has something to do with making *decent money* and making *huge insane money*.

Greed comes into play here.

Making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or making 10s of millions.
Let's look at it this way. If you are not making enough to buy a couple of hours of professional advice on how to set up a hedge fund, you are in no position to make 10's of millions. In fact you are not even in position to make 10's of hundreds.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:41am   #25

Joined Mar 2011

Quote:
Let's look at it this way. If you are not making enough to buy a couple of hours of professional advice on how to set up a hedge fund, you are in no position to make 10's of millions. In fact you are not even in position to make 10's of hundreds.
Why do you have to go to professional right away?

You could post a computer problem on a bodybuilding forum and get great answers...

The OP may just want some info before possibly taking it to the next level
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:48am   #26
Joined Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
Ponzi schemes are not illegal. What do you think the UK state pension is? What do you think unfunded final salary public sector pension schemes are?

Ponzi schemes, far from being illegal, are actively run and promoted by our own government.
Shhhhhhh! You're giving away all the secrets!
market_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:49am   #27
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
Why do you have to go to professional right away?

You could post a computer problem on a bodybuilding forum and get great answers...

The OP may just want some info before possibly taking it to the next level
When you are making tons, enough to start a hedge fund, time is money. So in that situation, you would be banging on the professional's door already, rather than getting involved in a bit of b*tch slapping in a forum.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:51am   #28
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
That was for Joe

I agree with your post above joe about the trading others money part, you could make a lot more profits trading a 6 or a 7 figure sum than a 4 or a 5 figure one... and if you had agreed a fixed rate of say 20% per year you could make a massive amount if your performance is much higher
why not just borrow the money in that case
DashRiprock is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:52am   #29

Joined Mar 2011

Quote:
When you are making tons, enough to start a hedge fund, time is money. So in that situation, you would banging on the professional's door already, rather than getting involved in a bit of b*tch slapping in a forum.
You can start a hedge fund with no money if you like, and just rely on other peoples money
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:57am   #30
Joined May 2010

It's pretty hard from what i've read to actually make money trading OPM, as in not under a company or hedge fund, as you need FSA authorisation
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote