Is creating professional investment software a good business idea?

This is a discussion on Is creating professional investment software a good business idea? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; So...i am a software developer and thinking on some catching software idea that will sell well. I am considering to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:49pm   #1
Joined Jun 2011
Is creating professional investment software a good business idea?

So...i am a software developer and thinking on some catching software idea that will sell well. I am considering to create a software that can for instance: Calculate SABR volatility, calculate black-scholes, calculate fx options kholagen model, predict prices based on neural networks, calculate var, sortino ratio, sharpe ratio, follows progress of your portfolio. Anyway...the idea is this to be like a swiss knife for the professional investor. Do you think it will sell? Like...in that economy and given that most mentioned things can already be found free in google. Also, i have about $60k put aside to invest in such venture and planning a price about $500 per one year license. 10x!
kevpries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:02pm   #2
Joined Oct 2006
Re: Is creating professional investment software a good business idea?

So have you given up in the idea of opening an offshore bank for the time being or will you run both projects?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foye...ml#post1584110
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:07pm   #3
Joined Jun 2011

kevpries started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
So have you given up in the idea of opening an offshore bank for the time being or will you run both projects?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foye...ml#post1584110
I have about 15 other ideas so to speak...just researching the market imo.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:12pm   #4
Joined Oct 2006

I see. Have you considered setting up a company to train prospective traders? You don't need to know anything about trading, just pretend you are a stock Market veteran of 20 years and you know the secrets the pros use.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:14pm   #5
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
I see. Have you considered setting up a company to train prospective traders? You don't need to know anything about trading, just pretend you are a stock Market veteran of 20 years and you know the secrets the pros use.
Ok, sign me up already.
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:21pm   #6
Joined Jun 2011

kevpries started this thread
Quote:
Heh good point... .
I can even write a book "how I made $2,000,000 trading frozen orange juice futures...and then lost all" - speaking of which the last part of the sentence is never mentioned in this type of books.
Seriously though, I don't think too many people buy into this type of thing - there are obviously newbies out there but competition is fierce and most people are sceptical. I will be called a ponzi 9 out of 10 times and if I sell the "system" it will be for about $50 i guess. Let alone that it will be totally immoral..well.
On a side note, personal finance software is the best selling type of software on amazon - i guess the pro equivallent isn't so popular, but one can specuate with the price then...given that you target hedge fund managers, quants, investors with experience, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:59pm   #7

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpries View Post
predict prices based on neural networks
Really??????

This is just one of the pies you have your fingers in?
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote