Leading banks likely to be drawn into Libor inquiry

This is a discussion on Leading banks likely to be drawn into Libor inquiry within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Martinghoul UBS was bailed out by the SNB. I have no idea what "secret" loans the Fed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:34pm   #8
Joined Sep 2008
Re: Leading banks likely to be drawn into Libor inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinghoul View Post
UBS was bailed out by the SNB. I have no idea what "secret" loans the Fed made to UBS. That's a crazy idea
You can google UBS FED BAILOUT and find hundreds of articles about what happened. In short the GAO (Gov't Accounting Office) did an audit at the behest of congress and all this came to light. If I remember correctly the money was dispersed from 2007 to sometime in 2010.

Here's a link from USA Today newspaper article thats shows money given out IN ADDITION TO THE $3.3 BILLION. This WAS TARP money and some was funneled to UBS with the gov't's knowledge and approval.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...to-banks_N.htm

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:10am   #9

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
You can google UBS FED BAILOUT and find hundreds of articles about what happened. In short the GAO (Gov't Accounting Office) did an audit at the behest of congress and all this came to light. If I remember correctly the money was dispersed from 2007 to sometime in 2010.

Here's a link from USA Today newspaper article thats shows money given out IN ADDITION TO THE $3.3 BILLION. This WAS TARP money and some was funneled to UBS with the gov't's knowledge and approval.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...to-banks_N.htm

Peter
Ah, you're referring to the AIG payouts... If so, this wasn't a bailout. It was a payment on a bunch of legally binding contracts that AIG had with the banks. Obviously, the US govt, when it took AIG over, could have just reneged on everything, but they decided that the global financial system wouldn't have been able to stand it. Whether you agree with the decision or not, there wasn't anything all that underhanded.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:17am   #10
Joined Jan 2011

also, it's pretty unlikely that the counterparties to AIG deals didn't need to ship the money on themselves - to, say, Citigroup or whoever. One of the big problems at the time is that because the nature of the deals being done weren't explicitly fungible, everyone had their hands in each others pockets.
DashRiprock is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:32am   #11
Joined Sep 2008

Does anyone actually read my posts? or does everyone just skim a few keywords and comment on entirely the wrong thing?

Must be me I guess, but posting here is becoming less and less interesting.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:40am   #12
Joined Jan 2011

buying commercial paper isn't exactly giving money out, is it mate. Nor is it zero interest, looks to me like the taxpayer made pretty well out of it.
DashRiprock is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:43am   #13

Joined Jan 2007

Quote:
Does anyone actually read my posts? or does everyone just skim a few keywords and comment on entirely the wrong thing?

Peter
before you go, who's the parrot?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:11am   #14

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:

Peter
It must be my response you're referring to. I honestly don't see what wrong thing I am commenting on.

Regardless, I am unaware of any secret conspiracy to keep UBS afloat.