Full time trading does it really pay

This is a discussion on Full time trading does it really pay within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by DionysusToast Let's say someone in my position had for example, $250k. That person would want to protect ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:22am   #120

Joined Jan 2006
Re: Full time trading does it really pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Let's say someone in my position had for example, $250k. That person would want to protect that and be trading VERY small positions until perfection had been achieved. None of this 1% per trade nonsense. More like .01%.
DT,

I have tried to explain many times that entries and stops are a function of skill and not a function of market gyrations or % of account. It's good to see that you understand this concept.

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:43am   #121
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
Howard, the moment that posters get more interested in one's investment pot rather than how he, actually, does his trading it means that they have lost the plot.
This was a typical bit of Howie straw man building actually. Nobody was remotely interested in the total size of his investment pot.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:55am   #122
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
This was a typical bit of Howie straw man building actually. Nobody was remotely interested in the total size of his investment pot.
Straw man---me? You have not read my previous posts to Howard on other threads.

What I do say is that when some posters do not understand an investing process of another poster, other tactics emerge which have nothing to do with the subject, at all.

Howard is not understood by me, so I leave him alone. I do not profess to be interested in what he does, ie. options, let alone understand him but I'm sure that he will live through that inconvenience.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:37pm   #123
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
Straw man---me? You have not read my previous posts to Howard on other threads.

What I do say is that when some posters do not understand an investing process of another poster, other tactics emerge which have nothing to do with the subject, at all.

Howard is not understood by me, so I leave him alone. I do not profess to be interested in what he does, ie. options, let alone understand him but I'm sure that he will live through that inconvenience.
No, not you building a straw man - Howie doing it. It's one of his favourite hobbies.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:41pm   #124
Joined Jan 2009

From Wiki (I found it interesting .. )

Example

Straw man arguments often arise in public debates such as a (hypothetical) prohibition debate:
Person A: We should liberalize the laws on beer.
Person B: No, any society with unrestricted access to intoxicants loses its work ethic and goes only for immediate gratification.
The proposal was to relax laws on beer. Person B has exaggerated this to a position harder to defend, i.e., "unrestricted access to intoxicants".[1] This example is also a slippery slope fallacy.
Another example:
Person A: Our society should spend more money helping the poor.
Person B: Studies show that handouts don't work; they just create more poverty and humiliate the recipients. That money could be better spent.
In this case, Person B has specified Person A's position (more funding) into "more handouts", which is easier for Person B to defeat.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: montmorencyt2w
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:00pm   #125

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
Yes there are.

Investing without knowledge is gambling.

Trading with knowledge is not gambling.

To be successful in any profession requires time, dedication, education and training. As one becomes better in their profession, they get better rewarded. Your expectations should be similar for trading as a profession that provides you with a living.
Howard I think you just refuse to admit being a gambler
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:23pm   #126

Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by standleymt View Post
But back to my original question do people really earn money trading sat at home doing their thing?
I hear this about home based traders quite often.
If you do not have any self motivation and you need someone to tell you when to start work, when and what to study, etc., then you are not going to succeed in any home-based business (trading included).
In any unsupervised job, business or venture you need to be motivated and have self discipline and working from home is no different.
Sadly many people today do not have that ethic and therefore firms who employ them still require them to show up for work every day even though they perform work very well suited for working from home and would save money if they did.

I work from home. I wasn't always profitable but I kept at it until I was.
elitejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Black Swan