What do you do?

This is a discussion on What do you do? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by D70 I havent read such egocentric drivel in all my life, as is this thread. Ohh D70, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:27am   #43

Joined Jun 2009
Re: What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post
I havent read such egocentric drivel in all my life, as is this thread.

Ohh D70, isn't it good that when trading the trader and his needs cease to exist , they and the ego become selfless in fact.

ego, smego,
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:40am   #44
Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
After a while, our work becomes a natural thing just like golf, driving, sex, skateboarding, water ski-ing or anything else you have to repeat to get good at.
I understand the analogy but there is never anything natural about golf. One may be allowed a couple of truly natural shots in a round, but for the most part it's a battle between mind and body.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:41pm   #45

Joined Aug 2005

trader_dante started this thread
Quote:
The replies on here are quite astounding.

Am I the only one that sees an obsessive compulsive and a single coincidence ?
If it had happened to me just once before, I would never have posted it in the first place.

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:00pm   #46

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
If it had happened to me just once before, I would never have posted it in the first place.
So - this is not the first occurence of you waking up next to your trading screens after dreaming about the markets ?

Seriously - I'd seek professional medical assistance.
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:29pm   #47

Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
So - this is not the first occurence of you waking up next to your trading screens after dreaming about the markets ?

Seriously - I'd seek professional medical assistance.

It could be a good idea if itís too difficult to deal with the problem without the help.

Otherwise may be damaging to the health and the account.
bedsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:35pm   #48

Joined Jul 2008
Should be a job not an obsession
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:50pm   #49
Joined Sep 2010

http://www.trade2win.com/section/art...dollar-traders

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
Question 7+8:

Paul: What are your hours like? How long is your day and what time does it start?

Lex: I need to be behind my screen at 7.00am and normally leave the office at about 5.30pm. I then go home and switch on my screens until about 9.00pm when the US market closes. At night, my BlackBerry has Bloomberg on it next to my bed. When I wake up at night it's hard to resist having a quick check at how the S&P futures are trading overnight. It's never-ending.

Paul: It sounds like it's a 24-hour activity for you, with some set times during which you are thoroughly involved in it, and other times where you're just interested in what's happening, even if it happens to be in the middle of the night.

Lex: Well, we do trade Asian stocks as well, so we might leave orders and if something happens the broker would call from Hong Kong or Tokyo to let us know what is going on. It is 24/7, and I guess that's what it takes.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

So Lex van Dam is a 24/7 obsessive as well...
Not my kind of thing either TBH.
Maybe with certain styles of trading, timeframe and instrument, its the obsessives who cane everyone else, then again maybe everyone else is just happy with what they can get as and when.

My view is there are plenty of ways of trading, if 24/7 obsession was the only way I'd rather not do it. Strong case for pure intraday if overnight holds are that much of an issue. Thats just me personally. Not knocking anyone who keeps tabs 24/7, it would drive me up the f**kin wall though Maybe thats why I've never had overnight holds on 24hr instruments, only UK stocks (morning gaps can be an issue granted...).

Does raise the question of why we trade though...
Liquid validity is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trader_dante