Options Trading

This is a discussion on Options Trading within the Futures & Options forums, part of the Markets category; What is a good options broker for a UK resident to trade at? I have a fairly low budget of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:52pm   #1
Joined May 2010
Options Trading

What is a good options broker for a UK resident to trade at?

I have a fairly low budget of $1k does anyone know a place where you can open an options account that size?

I want to open the account because I would like to make some long plays on BP, I want to do this without a stop loss to reduce my risk and think that options offer me the best deal for this. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Is it possible to buy 1 year call options on BP? Is it comparably cheaper than spread betting BP?

Regards Seb.

Last edited by sebastionay; Jun 26, 2010 at 10:01pm.
sebastionay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:59pm   #2
Joined Dec 2003
Re: Options Trading

I wouldn't get involved in options if I were you unless you have a good grip on option volatility and how it affects the price of all options, often more so than how the underlying moves.

For example, do you understand that it's possible for you to buy a deep out of the money call on BP, the stock then rallies 40% but the option position loses money.

If you don't understand how the above is possible then it's odds on you'll lose money.

Just trying to be helpful so you don't lose money
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:00pm   #3
Joined May 2010

sebastionay started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by anley View Post
I wouldn't get involved in options if I were you unless you have a good grip on option volatility and how it affects the price of all options, often more so than how the underlying moves.

For example, do you understand that it's possible for you to buy a deep out of the money call on BP, the stock then rallies 40% but the option position loses money.

If you don't understand how the above is possible then it's odds on you'll lose money.

Just trying to be helpful so you don't lose money
Thanks for stopping by anley.

My understanding is that this is due to the exponential time decay on expiration which effects pricing.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:47pm   #4
Joined Dec 2003

Nope, nothing much to do with time decay.
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:24pm   #5
Joined May 2010

sebastionay started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by anley View Post
Nope, nothing much to do with time decay.
And volatility ofcourse.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:41am   #6
GTS
Joined Jun 2010

What amazing about BP is it now has weekly options available, this is one widely held stock.
GTS is offline Newsletter / tip sheet / trading advice vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:42pm   #7

1 Posts
Joined Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
What amazing about BP is it now has weekly options available, this is one widely held stock.
Is anyone trading BP options (Calls/Puts)???
ITJOBSUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:09am   #8
GTS
Joined Jun 2010

No, but trading weekies on the OEX and ES. Volume is growing.
GTS is offline Newsletter / tip sheet / trading advice vendor   Reply With Quote