Why is this forum so dead?

This is a discussion on Why is this forum so dead? within the Futures & Options forums, part of the Markets category; It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think a lot of the experienced traders are still lurking ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:25pm   #61

Joined Mar 2014
It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think a lot of the experienced traders are still lurking in the background. They do still add valuable content to the site if they spot a subject close to their heart: when a newbie asks an interesting question for example or a politician does something unforgivable. But, I think they are reluctant to actually start new threads - maybe because 'There is nothing new under the sun'
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:51pm   #62
2be

Joined Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrads View Post
It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think a lot of the experienced traders are still lurking in the background. They do still add valuable content to the site if they spot a subject close to their heart: when a newbie asks an interesting question for example or a politician does something unforgivable. But, I think they are reluctant to actually start new threads - maybe because 'There is nothing new under the sun'
I am sure there are some profitable traders posting good things here and there.

I find it a bit confusing not to be able to edit the postings that are longer that 24 hrs, especially the first post which starts the new thread, as the first posts is the one that sets the important features for the rest that follows in a given thread.

I mainly post on a private forum, and only when having a break from trading or after the session or during the weekend.
I do not post while trading.
Regrettably, there seems to be lethargy in either learning or sharing the useful insights. The useful thing about private forum is the fact that there are not many stupid comments or questions that are asked often by people who do not read the thread/s.
So I have provided many ingredients of my strategies, but there is no engagement from other traders to sharpen it and make it better. Because of that I wander if there is any point of spending much time posting either strategies, or charts with trades. Some of my older posts make me cringe, but it is a record of development - I hope!
I am very open to be criticised providing the criticism is likely to improve my strategy, good critical approach does not need to be hostile and can lead to substantial improvement/s. However there is not much of that, thankfully not even cynical crits, which I am likely to ignore

I shall post from time to time, and see how it goes.

Yes the T2W has changed, but that is life.

My best wishes to all hard working traders,

2be

PS
An informal group of trading friends is desirable and useful. in that aspect any forum might be useful as the place of first contact.
I wander how useful it is to post detailed strats, trades or live calls on forums like T2W.
I have seen so many good attempts ending up badly, or at least rendered useless either by other "traders", system/s , time demand/s and so forth.
However for the committed researcher there is a great deal of good stuff on T2W and other forums, some several years old, but again one needs to allocate quality time accompanied with purpose and focus.
There is no trading without risk, do not think otherwise.
Without being stupidly greedy - grab what you can!
Without being too afraid - lose as little as you can!

Last edited by 2be; May 1, 2018 at 9:07am.
2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:31pm   #63
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtex View Post
Traders mostly lose money so instead of supporting each other they treat each other like crap. Never met more cynical people than failed traders.
this sounds very cynical to me
Kaeso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 12:11pm   #64
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossored View Post
Just this morning I was going through quite a volume of old posts trying to find some interesting content from years ago when there was indeed quality posting on the boards. Seems a long time ago when you go through forum posts and see that you were posting on this site 14 years ago.
I joined in 2004 and whilst a very active forex trader at that time i didnt really start getting into contributions and threads till 2008 i think ....

perhaps we can get a vintage / archive thing going here regarding old school traders.........there were many who were very very good

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: 2be
Old May 1, 2018, 12:16pm   #65
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtex View Post
I think both Elitetrader and this board is dying. Seems most guys are using algo's these day and average retail or day trader is gone. I remember in the old days i would lurk this board and actively post on Elite trader - mostly too past time, was fun, no its just seems like a ghost town.
I think you are overdoing the algo stuff......a lot of old school discretionary traders out there making money ......a lot of my trading is still pretty discretionary

not sure what i takes to get good traders back and posting ....lets face it the only main reason is to share ideas and stratagies .......or to point newbies in right directions with input and advice

the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: 2be
Old May 1, 2018, 2:02pm   #66

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us :smart
They did. And have. Over and over and over again. For years. But it isn't what novices want to hear, particularly with regards to the need for putting together a trading plan. What they want is a guaranteed winning set of indicators complete with settings. Or a guaranteed winning set of patterns. Preferably both.

I eventually got tired of the endless repetition and put it all in a book (there is also the problem of links leading nowhere and charts being deleted, usually due to software upgrades). There are also the closed threads I've put together: Trading Price and The Wyckoff Method. Novices can read them or not, ask questions or not, but the time I used to spend in repetition is better spent analyzing the market and making adjustments.

The information is there, most obviously in the First Steps forum. But novices can't be forced to read it. And if they don't, or won't, why should experienced traders spoon-feed them? The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the experienced trader's refusal to share but in the novice's reluctance to prepare. Without minimum preparation, the novice isn't going to understand what the experienced trader is willing to share anyway.
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan , Pat494 , Mactheriverrat , 2be
Old May 1, 2018, 3:21pm   #67
Joined Mar 2018
@dpphoenix
Excellent pdf book
Mactheriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: dbphoenix
Old May 1, 2018, 3:24pm   #68

Joined Mar 2004
Like life - You will reap what you sow.
Why not try putting across something useful and stimulate others to reply.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old May 1, 2018, 6:00pm   #69

Joined Oct 2015
need smthg to get the juices flowing, set T2W above all the rest!

Thanks! The following members like this post: cbrads
Old May 1, 2018, 8:18pm   #70
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
I think you are overdoing the algo stuff......a lot of old school discretionary traders out there making money ......a lot of my trading is still pretty discretionary

not sure what i takes to get good traders back and posting ....lets face it the only main reason is to share ideas and stratagies .......or to point newbies in right directions with input and advice

the more experienced traders we had here telling people the same basic stuff about what makes for a profitable trader - then the more they might listen to us

N
Good post, I agree I do go over the top about the algo traders.

Also, regarding the new traders - in my experience right now most are fixated on crypto and often following YouTube gurus (shills).
Bradtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 5:47pm   #71
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
this sounds very cynical to me
Cynicsm runs through our veins to
Bradtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kaeso