US Options trading from the UK

This is a discussion on US Options trading from the UK within the Futures & Options forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by f2calv Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but hopefully this is relevant I'm wishing to trade "us ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:50pm   #33
Joined Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2calv View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but hopefully this is relevant

I'm wishing to trade "us style" style options, so I have chosen to open an account with OptionsXpress (they may be the worst or the best - but regardless I need to start somewhere and I can always move broker later).

Being a UK resident I have a question or two about tax implications - OptionsXpress are asking me to fill out a W-8BEN form [Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for
United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals)], the form has a space for an ITIN number as well as a "Foreign tax identifying number" presumably my National Insurance number.

First question, am I correct that I first need to fill in a W-7 form [Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number] first to get an ITIN number, and then I can add this number to the W-8BEN form... so that I don't get taxed @ 30% ?

My second question is, does me getting an ITIN number mean I need to file some tax return with the IRS?

Or am I over complicating the entire application and I don't need any of the above?

Thanks in advance for any pointers...
hi ,can i ask are you still trading with options express and how are you getting on with them?

how did you wire your funds? iv just gone to wire my account for the first time but dont want to use my bank for the crap exchange rate theyre offering me
chris1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:45pm   #34
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
hi ,can i ask are you still trading with options express and how are you getting on with them?

how did you wire your funds? iv just gone to wire my account for the first time but dont want to use my bank for the crap exchange rate theyre offering me

I'm still using OptionsXpress occasionally simply because its fairly easy to talk to their traders whereas with IB, which is much cheaper, it all has to be on-line. Because I only trade a couple of times a month with OpX, I find their web site far too complicated.
If only they would have a cash flow page, such as Barclays stockbrokers have, showing every cash in/cash out movement so you can easily what has happened. Instead its all there but on different pages and some is only posted monthly.
As calls to USA are only 1p/min, talking is quite cheap.
Filling in a W-8BEN form is as necessary as ticking the agree box on any software - don't tick/fill in. don't get software/brokerage account.
Wiring the money turned out to be completely free and same day by transferring from my UK bank to OptionsXpress nominated UK based but USA listed bank (I've forgotten the name). The exchange rate was the spot rate and there were no charges.
I hope this helps
Regards
Mike
mike8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: options-george
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:34pm   #35
Joined Sep 2009
cheers for taking the time out to reply mike,just realised its actually options house iv opened the account with and unfortunately it seems they dont have a uk based bank to simplify the process like you have.

its taken 3 weeks to open the blooming account so gonna give them a go as i like the platfrom
chris1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:27pm   #36
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
cheers for taking the time out to reply mike,just realised its actually options house iv opened the account with and unfortunately it seems they dont have a uk based bank to simplify the process like you have.

its taken 3 weeks to open the blooming account so gonna give them a go as i like the platfrom
Chris, best of luck with Options House, I had not heard of them. Opening with OpX took weeks as well. Watch out for what you want to trade. I opened an account with Schwab simply because they have a UK office to trade USA options, only to find that they can't trade any options on the CME exchange which handles most of the things I trade such as oil, gold etc., hence I opened the OpX account as they are owned by Schwab who estimated that the two trading platforms would be integrated long before now . . still waiting! It seems Commissions/Exchange fees are higher when trading on CME.
mike8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:11am   #37
 
f2calv's Avatar
Joined May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
hi ,can i ask are you still trading with options express and how are you getting on with them?

how did you wire your funds? iv just gone to wire my account for the first time but dont want to use my bank for the crap exchange rate theyre offering me
Hi mate, sorry I didn't get as far as confirming my OptionXpress account as I discovered I can trade index/forex options via IG

gl with whomever you choose
f2calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016, 2:52pm   #38
 
7 Posts
Joined May 2016
Complete newby, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place, wrong thread or asking a stupid question.

I'm a Uk citizen looking (as thread says) for a US brokers account for selling reg options.

Quite simply, what criteria is needed to do this? i.e do they check credit scores (is it relevant?) is your employment status important? and similar issues?

I'm a 28yr old female with an old history of debt issues (now settled) unemployed (partner has his own firm) with a largish inheritance of which some I'd like to diversify into selling options.

I have been learning what I can online for about a year now (any reputable courses in the UK would be nice) and feel happy to take a chance going live, just unsure as to the acceptability of an application?
lolassister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016, 3:55pm   #39
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolassister View Post
Complete newby, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place, wrong thread or asking a stupid question.

I'm a Uk citizen looking (as thread says) for a US brokers account for selling reg options.

Quite simply, what criteria is needed to do this? i.e do they check credit scores (is it relevant?) is your employment status important? and similar issues?

I'm a 28yr old female with an old history of debt issues (now settled) unemployed (partner has his own firm) with a largish inheritance of which some I'd like to diversify into selling options.

I have been learning what I can online for about a year now (any reputable courses in the UK would be nice) and feel happy to take a chance going live, just unsure as to the acceptability of an application?
There is a free Options School here. No need to pay for a course on it.
vanillaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016, 4:29pm   #40
 
7 Posts
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaman View Post
There is a free Options School here. No need to pay for a course on it.
Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated
lolassister is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: vanillaman
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Options Trading sebastionay Futures & Options 17 Oct 10, 2010 11:12am
trading fx options jonnyseven Forex 3 Dec 4, 2008 1:08am
Trading arcade focusing on options trading yousam First Steps 3 Sep 8, 2008 3:22pm
Trading Options aacharya Futures & Options 47 Nov 27, 2003 12:53pm
Options Trading!!! lucky786 Indices 2 Apr 11, 2003 11:17pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)