Vote Conservative

This is a discussion on Vote Conservative within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Don't vote, it only encourages them, as the saying goes. The sad thing is that if there is a pitiable ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:29am   #9
 
montmorencyt2w's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: Vote Conservative

Don't vote, it only encourages them, as the saying goes.

The sad thing is that if there is a pitiable turnout, instead of wondering why seasoned voters are disaffected (with all of them), they will probably come up with gimmicks like putting the voting age down to twelve or something ridiculous.

I always find it amusing to think that when the late great David (Screaming Lord) Sutch first started, one of his main campaigning planks was "votes for teenagers", and this actually came to pass, for eighteen and nineteen year olds anyway.

Not the only thing he achieved, looking at this little history:

http://rosalyn.me.uk/loonyarchive/sutchhistory.html


Why can't we have characters any more? Charlie Kennedy pissed was a better man than Nick Clegg sober
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:56am   #10
Joined Dec 2008
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
I expect many Germans felt the same in the 1933 elections.


Paul
?
maiden22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:35pm   #11
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Re: Vote Conservative

Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
I expect many Germans felt the same in the 1933 elections.


Paul
Good point not to vote for some comical little man with a toothbrush mustache.
How many did Adolph get slaughtered ? Wasn't it 20 or 30 million give or take a million or two.

Yup - plod on with the boring imho. Gradual change for the better!!
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Einstein
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:49pm   #12
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
Trader333's Avatar
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden22 View Post
?
If most of the electorate becomes too apathetic to vote then you can be sure that extremist voters won't be. Not voting gives more power to those of extremist tendencies in my view. If we get PR which Clegg wants then we will see a lot more seats going to extremists in parliament if most voters become increasing reluctant to vote.

Whilst I agree that the main parties are coming out with policies that have a lot to be desired and because of this we have little in the way of choice, I think to not vote for whatever reason is not good.


Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:00pm   #13
 
trendie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
If most of the electorate becomes too apathetic to vote then you can be sure that extremist voters won't be. Not voting gives more power to those of extremist tendencies in my view. If we get PR which Clegg wants then we will see a lot more seats going to extremists in parliament if most voters become increasing reluctant to vote.

Whilst I agree that the main parties are coming out with policies that have a lot to be desired and because of this we have little in the way of choice, I think to not vote for whatever reason is not good.


Paul
Maybe a shake-up is needed amongst the apathetic.
I have been musing over whether to vote BNP this time around.
Much lulz to be had.
__________________
# If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail - Abraham Maslow
# There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that dont. -Anon
# Ed Seykotas Whipsaw Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiE1V...Wlxk8&index=10
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:28pm   #14
Joined Dec 2008
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
If most of the electorate becomes too apathetic to vote then you can be sure that extremist voters won't be. Not voting gives more power to those of extremist tendencies in my view. If we get PR which Clegg wants then we will see a lot more seats going to extremists in parliament if most voters become increasing reluctant to vote.

Whilst I agree that the main parties are coming out with policies that have a lot to be desired and because of this we have little in the way of choice, I think to not vote for whatever reason is not good.


Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry, I see what you were getting at now. Whilst I understand your point of view, I think that the right not to vote is every bit as important as the right to vote - there has been talk in recent years of making it compulsory. I think this is typical of the modern political class - low turnouts are to be solved not through policies that appeal to the electorate, but rather via coercion.

I think as I have said that there is nothing of substance to separate the main parties, and that voting for whoever one deems to be the leat worst simply perpetuates the problem of a grubby, self-interested political class that has nothing to offer the country.

I think that the Tories are on the verge of collapse, and would struggle to survive another defeat. This would be a good thing as it would clear the way for a genuinely conservative alternative. I also think that the spectre of the Tory party is what gives ZaNu Liebour much of its strength - remove this, and it too could be in serious trouble.

I'm hoping for a low turnout to underline the lack of legitimacy of whichever rabble slithers over the finish line first.
maiden22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Trader333
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:32pm   #15
 
montmorencyt2w's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Good point not to vote for some comical little man with a toothbrush mustache.
How many did Adolph get slaughtered ? Wasn't it 20 or 30 million give or take a million or two.

Yup - plod on with the boring imho. Gradual change for the better!!

Supported by the Daily Mail at one time, I seem to remember.

EDIT: Or at least its proprietor:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ia-485296.html


http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BUrothermere.htm

Quote:
Lord Rothermere disposed of his shares in the Daily Mirror in 1931. He now concentrated on the Evening News and the Daily Mail. In the 1930s Rothermere moved further to the right and gave support to Oswald Mosley and the National Union of Fascists. He wrote an article, Hurrah for the Blackshirts, in January, 1934, in which he praised Mosley for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine".

The reason I bring up this is that it ill behoves supporters of the Conservatives to start making emotive comments regarding such matters, bearing in mind the history of some staunch Conservative-supporting people.
I realise we are straying into Godwin's Law territory here.

Last edited by montmorencyt2w; Apr 26, 2010 at 3:43pm.
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:33pm   #16
 
montmorencyt2w's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: Vote Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden22 View Post
Hi Paul,

Sorry, I see what you were getting at now. Whilst I understand your point of view, I think that the right not to vote is every bit as important as the right to vote - there has been talk in recent years of making it compulsory. I think this is typical of the modern political class - low turnouts are to be solved not through policies that appeal to the electorate, but rather via coercion.

I think as I have said that there is nothing of substance to separate the main parties, and that voting for whoever one deems to be the leat worst simply perpetuates the problem of a grubby, self-interested political class that has nothing to offer the country.

I think that the Tories are on the verge of collapse, and would struggle to survive another defeat. This would be a good thing as it would clear the way for a genuinely conservative alternative. I also think that the spectre of the Tory party is what gives ZaNu Liebour much of its strength - remove this, and it too could be in serious trouble.

I'm hoping for a low turnout to underline the lack of legitimacy of whichever rabble slithers over the finish line first.
There should be an official "None of the Above" option, or failing that:-

http://www.noneoftheaboveparty.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.noneoftheaboveparty.org.uk/about.htm
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: maiden22
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conservative traders way to riches Iconoclast Forex 28 Jul 1, 2009 5:04am
Who would you vote for? Mr. Charts The Foyer 52 Jun 11, 2009 8:49pm
Article: The Cash C.O.W. (Conservative Option Writing) T2W Bot Educational Resources 85 Apr 25, 2009 10:51pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)