Virgin Media Banking on a Stupid Public

This is a discussion on Virgin Media Banking on a Stupid Public within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; I got a letter from Virgin Media informing me that my phone charges will be changing. The phone package price ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:26pm   #1

Joined Jan 2006
Angry Virgin Media Banking on a Stupid Public

I got a letter from Virgin Media informing me that my phone charges will be changing. The phone package price is dropping, but the way my call charging will be calculated is changing. Here is the catch: Phonecalls will be rounded UP to the nearest minute. This is the example privided which is aimed at duping the public into thinking it's only minor.

Quote:
"So, for example, a call that lasts 4 minutes 50 seconds will be rounded up to 5 minutes"
That's only 10 seconds you think? I wonder how many customers fail to realise that a phone call lasting 4 minutes and 1 second will also be rounded up to 5 minutes?
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:42pm   #2
Joined Dec 2002
They're nothing but corporate criminals!

Theres absolutely no excuse for it either, in this digital age.

Virgin (broadband) are crap, and they make it very difficult to contact them, and very difficult to complain.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:25pm   #3

Joined Jan 2006
new_trader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrader
They're nothing but corporate criminals!

Theres absolutely no excuse for it either, in this digital age.

Virgin (broadband) are crap, and they make it very difficult to contact them, and very difficult to complain.
I agree. Everything they are doing compels me to cancel and move to BT. I checked my account yesterday and noticed they withdrew $25 for my broadband service when it was 24.99 under NTL. I called to complain (on principle) and they informed me that they are "Rounding up" the prices of services. I told them it was dishonest to do it without informing me and even though it's only 1p, it adds up if they are doing it to millions of unwary customers. As a result they have credited the 1p for this month.

It reminds me of a joke.

A man calls his brother overseas and asks him to send over a racehorse that they both owned because he plans to make money with it. His brother agrees but the following day the horse dies. He doesn't know how to break the news so he sends the horse over anyway hoping his brother would think it died during the journey. A few weeks later he calls to find out how things went. His brother answers "Fantastic, I made 1 million from the horse". Puzzled by how he could do this he confesses that the horse died before he sent it and asks "How did you make money out of it", his brother replies, "I held a raffle and the horse was 1st prize. I sold a million tickets at 1 each". His brother is now more confused, and asks, "Didn't the person who won complain?" His brother answers "Yes, so I gave him his 1 back".
Thanks! The following members like this post: Splitlink
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:49pm   #4

Joined Sep 2001
Virgin Media (ex-NTL) are useless and irritating.
When they took over and failed to reach agreement with Sky over Sky News and 24 & LOST, I tried to ring them to cancel the agreement - recorded message saying the delays were 45 mins ++
That was on a Friday - I eventually got them on the following Wednesday after keeping the phone on my shoulder whilst I did other things for 50 minutes.
On that same Friday I rang Sky, got through within a minute and had a dish and digibox fitted on the Tuesday - before I could even get through to Virgin !
I took great pleasure in telling them the "news" that they could get "LOST" within "24" hours.
The Sky service and product is far superior.
I also had another problem with Virgin mega stores when I couldn't get hold of them by phone or email about an order they'd cocked up.
Their train service is also pretty awful according to one of my daughters.
Having said that, I've flown to NYC and San Fran many times with Virgin Atlantic - no problems and a damn sight better than those appalling tu**s at British Airways.
Richard

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/

Last edited by Mr. Charts; Mar 22, 2007 at 5:20pm.
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:48pm   #5
Joined Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charts
That was on a Friday - I eventually got them on the following Wednesday after keeping the phone on my shoulder whilst I did other things for 50 minutes.
Charts - These days with all the noncy call centres everyone should have one of those phones where you can dial and listen with the headset still in the cradle. You can pick them up starting at 20.
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:25pm   #6

Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by anley
Charts - These days with all the noncy call centres everyone should have one of those phones where you can dial and listen with the headset still in the cradle. You can pick them up starting at 20.
Virgin Media - I think the "Times" business section had a para. stating that Virgin Media are going to sponsor "Big Brother." Crap goes to crap I suppose.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:36pm   #7

Joined Jan 2006
new_trader started this thread I have been having problems with Virgin Media broadband so an Engineer was booked for a home visit between 08:00 - 13:00 today. I was told I would be charged 10 if I am not home when the Engineer arrives. At 13:20 I call to complain about the Engineer being late and I was told that he isn't late. According to them it's only 12:20!! They are working to GMT and not BST. So I must wait until 14:00 or I will be charged 10.

VIRGIN MEDIA IS A HOPELESS JOKE