Can my landlady screw me over?

This is a discussion on Can my landlady screw me over? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Hello folks I've posted this on a more query specific website but wanted to see if any of you could ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:36pm   #1
Joined Sep 2017
Can my landlady screw me over?

Hello folks
I've posted this on a more query specific website but wanted to see if any of you could help me either.

I have been renting a room in my landladies home in England since June 10th this year, but only signed the contract about 6-7 days ago (4 weeks later).

The contract says that the rent was to be £100 per week but since the room wasn't ready (tenant hadn't moved out yet), we verbally agreed on £80 per week for the makeshift room I was given and this lasted for about 3 weeks. After those 3 weeks, a tenant in a different room (smaller) and I swapped rooms as per the landladies suggestion, to which I continued to pay £80 per week (this was also how much the other tenant was paying for it).

Anyway... I decided that the place is not right for me and as per the contract, I am allowed to leave once I give and see out a 30 day notice.

One of my questions is on whether she can get sulky and back-claim the difference in the £80 I was paying and the £100 that was stated in the contract since it was only verbally agreed that I pay 80 until the room was ready (the agreed room is still not ready as the tenant is still here - and was the signed witness on our contract)?

I paid the deposit in cash and she emailed me a receipt, but the rent to date has been paid in cash (put into a rent book which I initialled last week when we got around to signing the contract.

PS: The contract is not dated where it was signed... at least not my copy anyway... can't remember if her copy was...

Thanks in advance!
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:01am   #2
Joined Feb 2002
There are a good number of housing charities and law centres and websites that can help with free legal advice.

It used to be the case in rented property that as the rent book and contract are provided by the owner, any failure on their part to do so would not prejudice the tenant's rights. As you have paid rent and the amount was not disputed by the landlady, this is presumptive that she did not object to the amount received.

However, it is also prudent to protect your rights that you should be able to prove you did actually pay some rent. Was this by bank transfer or by cheque or did you at least get a receipt for cash?

Have you paid a deposit to the landlady?

Generally, if you pay rent weekly, you only need to give a week's notice. You are liable for that week's rent even if you leave earlier. You would generally only be liable for a month's rent if you paid rent monthly.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:43pm   #3
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply.

I've posted the same message on a tenants rights forum as well as posting it here.
I've paid her a deposit in cash and she sent me an email as a receipt of that deposit.

I don't know if she will get silly about it but after our chat this morning when I informed her, she seemed ok about it... but then again...so did my ex before I found all my socks cut in half hahaha (I'm kidding...I don't have any socks because my other ex burned them all).

I've emailed her my notice which has all the details about times and amounts in it. I've asked her to reply with confirmation of receipt, if she does then then that'll benefit me if she gets all sh1tty about things.

Hopefully she doesn't because I like to be nice.
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:32am   #4

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply.

I've posted the same message on a tenants rights forum as well as posting it here.
I've paid her a deposit in cash and she sent me an email as a receipt of that deposit.

I don't know if she will get silly about it but after our chat this morning when I informed her, she seemed ok about it... but then again...so did my ex before I found all my socks cut in half hahaha (I'm kidding...I don't have any socks because my other ex burned them all).

I've emailed her my notice which has all the details about times and amounts in it. I've asked her to reply with confirmation of receipt, if she does then then that'll benefit me if she gets all sh1tty about things.

Hopefully she doesn't because I like to be nice.
It sound's as if it will all turn out to be fine. However learn from your (potential) mistake - in future everything in writing !!!!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:08pm   #5

Joined Mar 2004
Can you screw your landlady ?
Well don't forget the condoms.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton , Nowler
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:31pm   #6
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Hahaha
I considered it when I moved in but quickly saw that it would be a mistake

She still hasn't confirmed that she had seen the email...
I know she's a bit scatterbrained but it's been 3-4 days now, and she was reminded the last 2 days...

I've already put the wheels in motion for revenge if she trys to pull a fast one on me...
There will only be one winner if it goes there.

I prefer to be nice, but I'm good at being bad.

Fingers crossed!

On a less sociopathic note... my new landlady wants to meet for the deposit tomorrow.
Meaning, the new place is mine
2 bed (double) flat near the train station and a 2 min cycle from the town centre. Sharing with another guy... he's in the RAF apparently.

I'll be sure to be smarter with contracts this time around

Last edited by Nowler; Jul 15, 2018 at 10:46pm.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:18pm   #7
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Update:
She finally responded and confirmed that all was good.

In the clear now
I've already got an email confirming that I gave her a deposit.

Just gave my new landlady my deposit for the new place.
I move in on the 11th
Thanks! The following members like this post: mike. , tomorton