UK Politics

This is a discussion on UK Politics within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Scandal watch. How many scandals do we currently have on the go: Breast cancer screening Windrush Grenfell Rape gangs NHS ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 2, 2018, 7:03pm   #16
Joined May 2016
UK Poiltics

Scandal watch.

How many scandals do we currently have on the go:

Breast cancer screening
Windrush
Grenfell
Rape gangs
NHS
Carillon
Political racism
Knife crime & acid attacks
The EU
Military rundown
Skripal & Syria
Julian Assange
Social media clampdown

Feel free to add to the list...
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018, 7:04pm   #17
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
According to the guardian, Sergei is still in hospital, I would imagine Julia is in a safe house somewhere. MI6 say they havenít identified any suspects as yet...

Hasnít a D notice been issued? When was the Guardian report dated?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:21pm   #18

Joined Feb 2012
mike. started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalcalc View Post
Hasnít a D notice been issued? When was the Guardian report dated?
. Apologies, getting mixid up with my guardians and independents.
Itís saying one day ago here,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ttack-mps-told
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018, 8:07pm   #19
Joined May 2016
Traditional Mayday march in London

whereas in Paris

Old May 2, 2018, 9:04pm   #20
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalcalc View Post
Scandal watch.

How many scandals do we currently have on the go:

Breast cancer screening
Windrush
Grenfell
Rape gangs
NHS
Carillon
Political racism
Knife crime & acid attacks
The EU
Military rundown
Skripal & Syria
Julian Assange
Social media clampdown

Feel free to add to the list...
Almost forgot Facebook/Cambridge Analytica/SCL
Old May 2, 2018, 9:21pm   #21
Joined May 2016
Classic
Attached Thumbnails
fspeech.jpg  
Old May 2, 2018, 9:37pm   #22

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Amber Rudd had nowhere left to go, she either wan't in charge of what her department was doing or knew but wanted to conceal it or stupidly thought it didn't matter either way. She did show a burst of determination to deal with the crises affecting members of the Windrush generation but it was too little too late.

She actually had no need to conceal there were deportation targets as these have long been in place under both Conservative and Labour Home Secretaries for years so she had nothing to gain from concealing them. The more likely scenario is that she was just incompetent.

No clear word from Dianne Abbott on what Labour's policy is on the 1 million estimated illegal immigrants.

Agree with your pov here Tomorton but why bring Labour into it or DA not that I like her or think her fit for purpose

Rudd lied to the committee or inadvertently skewed reply. Either way TM didn't come out and correct her but kept quiet. Ample time for her to say she made an error. Situation is deliberate effort to mislead by both and hide to deflect.

To say Labour are just as incompetent is just playing dirty politics. No change there.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:52pm   #23

Joined Feb 2012
mike. started this thread So have you ditched lib/dem now Atilla and sworn allegiance to jezza ?
Old May 2, 2018, 10:11pm   #24

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
So have you ditched lib/dem now Atilla and sworn allegiance to jezza ?
Said so before - I'll vote tactically to get Tories out who are damaging the UK. Never seen such a bad crop.

Still hold the view this Windrush is a TM issue and she shows her true colours.

Who ever conjured up that Windrush system were obviously incompetent nits.

Fell off me chair when I heard their proposition for claiming custom duties and paying back the EU. Simplified system indeed. What a load of utter total rubbish??? I'm stunned and shocked at the level of incompetence.

Politics going bankrupt in UK.

LibDems the last and only hope left to do right by the country
Old May 2, 2018, 10:30pm   #25

Joined Feb 2012
mike. started this thread Windrush citizens were mistakenly mixed up with illegal immigrants when it came to proving your right to stay, Unfortunately that’s all it was, a mix up.. non have been deported and you got a head on a plate as an apology so alls good isn’t it.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:45am   #26
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Agree with your pov here Tomorton but why bring Labour into it or DA not that I like her or think her fit for purpose

Rudd lied to the committee or inadvertently skewed reply. Either way TM didn't come out and correct her but kept quiet. Ample time for her to say she made an error. Situation is deliberate effort to mislead by both and hide to deflect.

To say Labour are just as incompetent is just playing dirty politics. No change there.

I brought the deportation targets policy used by Labour Home Secretaries in as it is the truth. Deportation targets are not new and should not be contentious in principle: I support the idea of deportation targets and so do both main parties. I don't say Labour have been incompetent when running the Home Office.

But a minister who doesn't know how her department works and is prepared to talk about a policy (of not using deportation targets) which she has not put in place or checked as in place is an idiot and has to go.

PS: Amber Rudd is also reported as having tried to shift some blame onto her HO officials, as if they were to blame for the results of ministers' policies. As a former local government and civil service official, I can say that if any minister does this, they commit the ultimate crime and have to go sooner rather than later.

Last edited by tomorton; May 3, 2018 at 8:06am. Reason: PS:
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 11:18am   #27
Joined Feb 2002
I'm going out to vote.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Signalcalc
Old May 3, 2018, 12:14pm   #28
Joined May 2016
I agree with the author's view that politics bores me, but the impact of politics on society is what fascinates me (skip to the last para). Will be watching the fallout from Sunday with interest....

https://altnewsmedia.net/opinion/is-...r-todays-left/

Last edited by Signalcalc; May 3, 2018 at 12:21pm.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:25am   #29
Joined May 2016
Local Elections - my summary

Labour lose voters to LibDems
Tories stay about the same
UKIP lose voters to Tories and non-voters
UKIP lose voters to UKIP replacement For Britain
Old May 4, 2018, 10:31am   #30
Joined Feb 2002
UKIP were a one-trick pony, a single-issue lobby group. Farage led them brilliantly in this task but the party could only have become a major parliamentary force if he had formed a new coalition party with Euro-sceptics etc. from the two major parties. UKIP had the chance to supplant the Lib-Dems as the third party. But Farage's ego would never have permitted a partnership. It didn't even allow for the development of successors to the party leader's seat. So he got what he wanted, but maybe much less than he could have achieved. Now he can only shout from the stands like the rest of us.
Thanks! The following members like this post: mike. , Atilla