The psychology of LIFE

This is a discussion on The psychology of LIFE within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Just for starters https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...PWjQ&ocid=iehp...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:41am   #1

Joined Mar 2004
The psychology of LIFE

Just for starters

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...PWjQ&ocid=iehp
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:54am   #2
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I chuckled at the irony of the beginning of this article:

"The internet is awash with amateur psychology and body language tips,....."
Signalcalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:39am   #3

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread I think the article does make some valid points though.
Could there be a template for being a successful trader ?
For instance does religion play any part in promoting success. Because that is surely what we are all after ?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:12am   #4
Joined May 2016
Quote:
I think the article does make some valid points though.
Could there be a template for being a successful trader ?
For instance does religion play any part in promoting success. Because that is surely what we are all after ?
The irony being that this article is just regurgitating hints and tips made by thousands of other articles on the subject, there's nothing new in that list, and the list is endless and open ended, as is the subject of psychology itself. There are no experts, only academics, difficult to see how this list could be a template for traders.

Trading is unique for human psychology, not many people experience the feelings traders experience, certainly not in ordinary life. Gamblers, emergency workers, military personnel, mountain climbers, thrill seekers and traders probably all experience very similar emotions during the course of their activities.

But those activities are considered extreme, each individual learns how to cope with those extremes and whilst that is unique to each individual, there will be shared emotions and strategies. Those that do not control those feeling are less likely to succeed and some fail and quite a few suffer symptoms such as PTSD.

You also need to define success. Success is a very individual experience and is difficult to to apply in a broad sense across a number of different individuals.

Religion is ideology i.e. an idea constructed by humans in an attempt to define, explain and control the universe and those that reside in it. Religion is/has been imposed on humans for a long time and is deep rooted in our psychology, the pace of which seems to be accelerating in the modern world. It is an obstacle (one of many burdens) to understanding one's self in the natural world and the natural world itself. Removing religion allows for freedom of thought. It's not clear how religion promotes success (however success is defined).

I need a coffee
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:18am   #5

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread All good points Signalcalc.
However humans are able to change their views and philosophy at will. Then surely we should take advantage of this valuable point to do just that.

In which case the question of change to what. begs an answer. Hopefully in the search for profitability ( success ) one doesn't go insane.

Perhaps I should have headed it up - for traders.

Last edited by Pat494; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:28am.
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:29am   #6

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread One of the acknowledged great traders was Jesse Livermore who won and lost fortunes.

But the poor soul ended up suicidal.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:38am   #7

Joined Jun 2016
As far as I can see this article is just yet another regurgitation of modern "lifestyle" DIY psychology. Probably of great interest to thousands of inadequate people who are dissatisfied with their life and think there is a simple formula to change it.

What's wrong with just being yourself? Life to many people is all about image – for some unknown reason they are unsatisfied with their own and think that by emulating someone else (media stars/sportspeople/anyone with a big-gob image) will somehow solve their problems. It doesn't work like that and that's why articles such as this continue to be published, basically filling much of the media space with trash.

I find that people who practice these lifestyle tricks come across to me as artificial and insincere – I just exit as quickly as possible and move on to someone who is genuine.

I don't think it has any relevance to trading. As with any skill, you need knowledge/training/practice/aptitude and I don't think this article supplies any of those.

Apologies for being so negative but when, oh-when! in this day and age of snowflake/millennial generation will we start calling a spade a spade?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:46am   #8
Joined May 2016
Quote:
One of the acknowledged great traders was Jesse Livermore who won and lost fortunes.

But the poor soul ended up suicidal.
Yes, this ties in very well with the psychology of Adventurers. There is a book written many years ago by Chris Bonington entitled 'Quest for Adventure' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Adven.../dp/0340417005

Quite a few of the people who put themselves through a massive psychological and financial burden to attain, often lifetime, goals ended up committing suicide. There are more modern examples too, I'll go searching for them.

The suicide aspect is interesting, people often battle for many years to reach their pinnacle of success, find there is nothing for them after that and then just end it all.

Last edited by Signalcalc; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:54am.