Best Prime Minister of modern times?

This is a discussion on Best Prime Minister of modern times? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Not having been PM I am only guessing but 1. There are powerful pressure groups that get their own way ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:02am   #46

Joined Mar 2004
Not having been PM I am only guessing but
1. There are powerful pressure groups that get their own way on the PM. The general public has no idea that they even exist.
2. It must be tricky to see the tree needed in the wood. Lots of people giving advice and mostly feathering their own nests.
3. A servile civil service bureaucracy that panders to the PM's wishes in order to keep onside.
4. Being at the top is a very lonely place. The PM is expected to have the best ideas but they are only human. It is often easier to see the problem clearer from afar.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:15am   #47

Joined Oct 2015
Such a question can't be answered with a straight answer, perhaps Angela Merkel...
predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:13pm   #48

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by predator View Post
Such a question can't be answered with a straight answer, perhaps Angela Merkel...
She is ruining herself with her "open door" policies and letting the far right get their foul repression a boost.
A copy of Blair imho.
Me
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:08pm   #49

Joined Nov 2001
years go by and nowt changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
She is ruining herself with her "open door" policies and letting the far right get their foul repression a boost.
A copy of Blair imho.
Ah yes -Blair's labour party -supporter of the working class! Well the working classes soon got forgotten under Blair. Practices such as "Zero Hours" and placing employees working for one employer as "self employed" were rife under Blair's watch, as they still are under the Tories. Neither did Blair''s party do much to alleviate the difficulties of younger people trying to buy houses. And, as for the young working person in London hoping to buy a house near his place of work - that person cannot compete in a market pushed upwards by foreign or other property investor. Either wages catch up or property goes down to give such a person a chance to buy, but many will, for personal reasons, wish otherwise. Over the years, that I have witnessed, the gap between wages and house prices has
( excepting some areas) widened considerably. One also sees television programmes boasting of house improvements obtained via auctions and then renting them out for prices which, in other circumstances, the renter could otherwise obtain a mortgage, but they lack a deposit. Neither Labour nor any other party care for such people unless votes are in danger of being lost.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:56pm   #50

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post

"........... a proper "officer class" like they do in the Armed Forces, which is one of the few places where I have seen efficient management backed up by expertise.......
You mean the efficiency and expertise that sent countless thousands of men over the top to their death and destruction
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:09pm   #51

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
You mean the efficiency and expertise that sent countless thousands of men over the top to their death and destruction
No, I didn't mean that! That was 100 years ago and representative of inadequate political/military leadership - you could equally well have quoted the Charge of the Light Brigade. What I'm looking at is day to day management at working levels - anybody who has served in an elite military unit will know what I'm talking about.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:18pm   #52

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
No, I didn't mean that! That was 100 years ago and representative of inadequate political/military leadership - you could equally well have quoted the Charge of the Light Brigade. What I'm looking at is day to day management at working levels - anybody who has served in an elite military unit will know what I'm talking about.
I think what you are trying to tell us is that a united team, works a lot better as a unit than the old fashioned management versus the workers arrangement.
Or am I wrong ?
Me
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:07pm   #53

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I think what you are trying to tell us is that a united team, works a lot better as a unit than the old fashioned management versus the workers arrangement.
Or am I wrong ?
It's a lot more than that – but that certainly is part of it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:28pm   #54

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Aye, but there’s still a load of mis-management in the general services albeit that the elite units are out on their own.

It’s quite interesting that in management generally there are usually several ways to skin the cat to achieve any objective. You’ll usually still get there if you choose the “wrong” way and not gain fantastic advantage if you choose the “right” way. Not so in the military - if you don’t choose the right way disaster is likely to follow.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:38pm   #55

Joined Mar 2004
I am not sure the British military is a good example of competence.
They have blundered many times since the charge of the light Brigade.
Even including the Korean war. Someone in Whitehall thought that Korea was tropical and didn't issue blankets, proper gun oil for arctic conditions, no tents etc.
The US has an equally bad record for disasters including The Bay of Pigs, Vietnam etc.
Me