Best Prime Minister of modern times?

This is a discussion on Best Prime Minister of modern times? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by counter_violent New politics at play. Not split along traditional party lines. Anything could happen ! Actually, it's ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:43pm   #25

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
New politics at play. Not split along traditional party lines. Anything could happen !
Actually, it's more than just politics. We are in revolution territory, the evidence is clearly visible.

Brexit
Trump
Catalonia
We know that with reference to trading the "it's different this time" mantra turns out to be false but with politics I'm starting to think that it actually is different this time. Why? Largely due to the digital revolution: the old days of the voting public being fed on just a few left/right newspapers and a few (supposedly) legally-bound-to-be-unbiased TV channels have long gone. Also, the great unwashed masses are now allowed to go to university and encouraged to think for themselves. The digital age allows much greater interaction and collusion between parties on a worldwide basis (wouldn't have known about you otherwise dbPhoenix! ). A bit of a different tale from one hundred years ago when they were told to go and join up for war because that's what those who knew best said was the right thing to do.

It's no wonder that politics no longer conveniently split along conventional left/right lines. We still have of course the old problem of youth's inexperience and enthusiasm but even that's different now because they are learning how to wield their inexperience and enthusiasm effectively. This could have far reaching results once inexperience gets its hand on the tiller; one effective antidote might be a restriction on democracy (e.g. raise, not lower the voting age) but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have a satisfactory or happy outcome and anyway it isn't gonna happen.

As far as I'm concerned we are living in interesting (when were they not interesting?) but very uncertain times. Basic human tribal instincts will now come to the fore with effect and in the UK at least, there is some prospect of the thousand years of Democratic capital we have built up being eroded.

I think it may well be different this time.

Last edited by sminicooper; Oct 5, 2017 at 3:48pm.
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mr. Charts , counter_violent
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:43pm   #26

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
Yes, he does. But then so apparently do many other world leaders, West and East. Granted many of them are incompetent, but there is value in keeping the public off-balance. And the more off-balance, the better.
Incompetence is bad enough but this strutting one's country's latest weapons competition could be disastrous.
I would hope that they would use their power and influence to clean up the planet for instance.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:48pm   #27

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I really can't see what's better about keeping the public off balance except to trick them.
That's the point. "Trickle-down economics" is an excellent example.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:22pm   #28

Joined Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
That's the point. "Trickle-down economics" is an excellent example.
Aha ! So who put the trick in trickle ?
The wicked capitalists?

The self righteousness and "intellectual" arrogance of the left who always know better than the masses they purport to represent continues to beggar belief.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:24pm   #29

Joined Sep 2001
Self-appointed political elites of whichever extreme always put self interest and power first.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:26pm   #30
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charts View Post
The wicked capitalists?

The self righteousness and "intellectual" arrogance of the left who always know better than the masses they purport to represent continues to beggar belief.
They are not all lefties either. This bloke should be sacked.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:36pm   #31
Joined Feb 2002
tomorton started this thread
Quote:
Well said.

Youth knows everything, except experience.
Youth knows enthusiasm without judgement.

In practical terms, the youth vote only comes out when they see someone who might change something. They don't vote in number for the status quo: they've got nothing (as they see it) so what have they got to lose?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:58pm   #32

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
The wicked capitalists?

Given the wage stagnation over the past several decades, the trick would appear to be self-evident.

The self-righteousness and "intellectual" arrogance of the right who always know better than the masses they purport to represent also continues to beggar belief.