Best Prime Minister of modern times?

This is a discussion on Best Prime Minister of modern times? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by dbphoenix Not an auspicious beginning for a thread like this. "Righties" have a very slanted view of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:13pm   #9

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
Not an auspicious beginning for a thread like this. "Righties" have a very slanted view of history as well and must also be fought against (and would be far more likely to place Thatcher so high in the ranking).
Fair point! But it always worries me that in academia the Lefties usually outweigh the Righties. Maybe that's because the best brainpower inclines to the left or is it just that they can't get on in real society and academia is their only refuge?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:23pm   #10

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Fair point! But it always worries me that in academia the Lefties usually outweigh the Righties. Maybe that's because the best brainpower inclines to the left or is it just that they can't get on in real society and academia is their only refuge?
Not unlike the conservative's only refuge of elected office, as opposed to getting a real job.

Perhaps it's time to ask the OP if this is what he wants the thread to become.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:26pm   #11
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
The bigger worry is their influence on the next generation. Takes years to undo indoctrination.
Corbyn, failed A level student, a lost cause and now filling youngsters heads with complete tosh.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mr. Charts
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:32pm   #12
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Not unlike the conservative's only refuge of elected office, as opposed to getting a real job.

Perhaps it's time to ask the OP if this is what he wants the thread to become.
Same applies across the board as you very well know.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:45pm   #13

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
The bigger worry is their influence on the next generation. Takes years to undo indoctrination.
Corbyn, failed A level student, a lost cause and now filling youngsters heads with complete tosh.
Aye, he’s got all the momentum and the tories have given him a clear field to play on.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:55pm   #14
Joined Feb 2002
tomorton started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Don't want to hijack your thread Tom but a thought just occurred to me.

Admittedly the home grown politicians are not really as good as they could be......So.. why not employ the right people from abroad ? The Royal family have done this in the past. They have the advantage of no home baggage to contend with.

Its an irony that it seems the people most keen to become national leaders are usually the people least deserving of the job. By the law of averages, some individuals who wouldn't have campaigned for a post will actually do alright once they're in it.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:56pm   #15

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
Aye, he’s got all the momentum and the tories have given him a clear field to play on.
New politics at play. Not split along traditional party lines. Anything could happen !
Actually, it's more than just politics. We are in revolution territory, the evidence is clearly visible.

Brexit
Trump
Catalonia

Kin Dissers Everywhere

Last edited by counter_violent; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:05pm.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:59pm   #16
Joined Feb 2002
tomorton started this thread
Quote:
Not an auspicious beginning for a thread like this. "Righties" have a very slanted view of history as well and must also be fought against (and would be far more likely to place Thatcher so high in the ranking).

Nobody is unbiased in a debate like this but I hope (maybe without reason) that academics from these disciplines would keep their personal subjective judgements aside even for a "fun" poll like this one.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote