Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by Splitlink . . . Perhaps, like the monkey, I look through the bars and think the ones ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:48pm   #57
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
. . . Perhaps, like the monkey, I look through the bars and think the ones looking in are the ones in the cage!
You might very well think that Split' - and I think I know why. . .

As someone who's been going to Andalucía (yes, I know it's a long way from Barca, lol!) at least once a year for the last twenty and have lived there for two winters, I have been spellbound by the gargantuan sums of money that's been spent on massive infrastructure projects in the region, e.g. the high speed rail link from Malaga to Seville. While the debate about HS2 rumbles on and on here in the U.K. - in Spain they just get on and build it. Don't get me wrong, it's great - love it, but we all know where the money comes from that pays for it. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. And within the EU, it is the latter who pay for the former.
Tim.

PS. Cue Atilla to do a cut 'n paste job outlining how much more the U.K. gets out of the EU than it pays in!
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:55pm   #58

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
You might very well think that Split' - and I think I know why. . .

As someone who's been going to Andalucía (yes, I know it's a long way from Barca, lol!) at least once a year for the last twenty and have lived there for two winters, I have been spellbound by the gargantuan sums of money that's been spent on massive infrastructure projects in the region, e.g. the high speed rail link from Malaga to Seville. While the debate about HS2 rumbles on and on here in the U.K. - in Spain they just get on and build it. Don't get me wrong, it's great - love it, but we all know where the money comes from that pays for it. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. And within the EU, it is the latter who pay for the former.
Tim.

PS. Cue Atilla to do a cut 'n paste job outlining how much more the U.K. gets out of the EU than it pays in!

Well I can tell you dear Timsk, the UK pays more for the EU than it gets out.

We pay £350m a week and pay extra-ordinary billions as and when needed, as we did to bail out the Irish.

We gave up our fishing industry.

We buy all their cars and luxery items, not to mention food stuff like pizzas and wines.

We don't really sell them anything much as we prefer to sell to the rest of the World. At least we could do if the pesky Europeans didn't stop us from selling to the rest of the World.

They come over here and benefit from our NHS and favourable benefit system and they do absolute FA.

We teach them how to farm more efficiently and then they go back home and do it all for them selves.

They take our best brains for their space and defence R&D. They use our universities to reap better understanding of how the world works and then they naff off.

They can have Ireland and Scotland and Wales too. Be good to get rid of the lot of'm.

No links required mate it's all up in the head. So true dat is. God bless you if there was one for voting exit. Thanks to you many milliions of baby boomers retiring about now will get a decent pension and no longer queue waiting for hospital appointments.

Great call
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:31pm   #59
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
. . .Great call
Apologies Atilla - I've obviously got the wrong end of the stick. All along, I've been labouring under the misapprehension you're on the remain side. My bad!
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:58pm   #60

Joined May 2003
Quote:
.........That said, the underlying point about not having to do what some unelected bureaucrat in Brussels dictates - still stands..........
As opposed to some unelected bureaucrat in Whitehall, say.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:12pm   #61

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread Unelected bureaucrat! - The technical British coined phrase is 'Quango'.

The term "quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation" was created in 1967 by the Carnegie Foundation's Alan Pifer in an essay on independence and accountability in public-funded bodies incorporated in the private sector. This term was shortened to "quango" by Anthony Barker, a British participant during a follow-up conference on the subject.[2]

It describes an ostensibly non-governmental organisation performing governmental functions, often in receipt of funding or other support from government,[3] while mainstream NGOs mostly get their donations or funds from the public and other organisations that support their cause. Numerous quangos were created from the 1980s onwards. Examples in the United Kingdom include those engaged in the regulation of various commercial and service sectors, such as the Water Services Regulation Authority.

An essential feature of a quango in the original definition was that it should not be a formal part of the state structure. The term was then extended to apply to a range of organisations, such as executive agencies providing (from 1988) health, education and other services. Particularly in the UK, this occurred in a polemical atmosphere in which it was alleged that proliferation of such bodies was undesirable and should be reversed (see below).[4] This spawned the related acronym qualgo, a 'quasi-autonomous local government organisation'.[5]

The less contentious term non-departmental public body (NDPB) is often employed to identify numerous organisations with devolved governmental responsibilities. The UK government's definition in 1997 of a non-departmental public body or quango was:
A body which has a role in the processes of national government, but is not a government department or part of one, and which accordingly operates to a greater or lesser extent at arm's length from Ministers.[6]

No points for guessing who commissioned them most from the 80s onwards. Like mushrooms they were. Mostly yanks too, who some may say with vested interests pursuing the interests of the US of A.

To such an extent that two esteemed Tories (Howe and Heseltine) fell out with Mrs T over it. Mrs T who irrefutably gave the Quango's more say then her own cabinet ministers.

I'm delighted to say however, Mrs May seems nothing like Mrs Thatcher and I sprout expletives at the comparisons. Theresa May is a thorough bred politicians.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:32pm   #62

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
. . .I'm delighted to say however, Mrs May seems nothing like Mrs Thatcher and I sprout expletives at the comparisons. Theresa May is a thorough bred politicians.
Well, were it not for her psychopathic leanings, I'd be inclined to agree.

Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:40pm   #63

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Well, were it not for her psychopathic leanings, I'd be inclined to agree.

OMG - you are quite happy to see lil ol biddies freeze to the far side but not see anyone go up in flames?

I'm measuring very high readings on my conflict richter counter.

I'm a little mixed up here too, if I'm to be honest. UK's nuclear heads account for 1.5% of all global nuclear stock and considering the cost I doubt it will make any difference to anyone whether we are in or out.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:10pm   #64

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
OMG - you are quite happy to see lil ol biddies freeze to the far side but not see anyone go up in flames?

I'm measuring very high readings on my conflict richter counter. :
Your 'conflict richter counter' needs recalibrating Atilla. Actually, it's beyond repair, I suggest you bin it. Just for the record, I've never said I'm "happy to see lil ol biddies freeze to the far side" - that's just your totally misguided interpretation of the Brexit vote, lol!

Quote:
I'm a little mixed up here too, if I'm to be honest. . .
Thank heavens, the truth at last - and something we can agree upon!
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla