Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by Atilla Yes agree strongly. Reason for the rise is more to do with weak GDP data from ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:56pm   #106
 
Oscar Reed's Avatar
Joined May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Yes agree strongly.

Reason for the rise is more to do with weak GDP data from the US and the hopeful expectation rates may not rise in Sept?

Market is hooked on easy money like drugs.

Any indication of Fed raising rates or BoE having to drop rate here in the UK and 1.30 will be breached sooner than one can say I.
Hope your cable calling is better than your SP500 calling.
Attached Thumbnails
capture.jpg  
Oscar Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: counter_violent
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:14am   #107
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Good opportunity to short
That's a bit unpatriotic !

We had to put up with the EU nonsense for 43 yrs...didn't hear us complaining did ya


I think some people will never understand that Brexit means Brexit
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:47am   #108
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Reed View Post
Hope your cable calling is better than your SP500 calling.
Attached Thumbnails
sharp-intake-breath.jpg  
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Oscar Reed
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:23am   #109
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, like two peas in a pod...

Do you guys have anything useful to say
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:57am   #110
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, like two peas in a pod...

Do you guys have anything useful to say
I'd like to hear comments on post 105 Ta.

Everything in that report was known in advance and widely debated in the 1980's, particularly in the UK.
So how come they (EU) had to find out the hard way in 2010 ?
It really does beggar belief !
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now

Last edited by counter_violent; Jul 30, 2016 at 3:03am.
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:09am   #111
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
This report confirms that the trend away from EU trade started well before Brexit and will now accelerate as we do more trade worldwide

Praps you could comment on that too !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-time-since-2/

And this while you're at it !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ead-of-the-us/
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:21am   #112
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Gotta be in it to win it, as the saying goes

Shock horror.....does this mean we won't be able to keep winning euromillions cos of Brexit ! Well never mind eh, give the other countries a chance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36929452
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:48am   #113
Joined Nov 2001
I think better of Theresa and her team now that I hear that the nuclear power contract has been put on hold.

If this has any power with EU negotiations it could become a useful bargaining tool. I know that the Chinese are involved, too, but a cancellation would hurt the French company involved. It is worth 18 billions and electricity charges are too high, IMO.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:42am   #114
tar
 
tar's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
USD sold off but Cable still standing at just 1.32 , i would watch GBPJPY as it will drag Cable down with it ...
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:10pm   #115
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
I'd like to hear comments on post 105 Ta.

Everything in that report was known in advance and widely debated in the 1980's, particularly in the UK.
So how come they (EU) had to find out the hard way in 2010 ?
It really does beggar belief !
Once again the Telegraph takes a few facts and totally distorts and lies about what actually was said.

I have on many occasions highlighted the inconsistent distortions but you seldom comment on the lies and deceit you spread. But then again you are happy with what the Telegraph pushes at you and you accept irrespective of any lack of integrity in the reporting of the facts.

They really should quote the article rather than proceed with sensationalised fodder feeding for a select party fest of extremes.


I would suggest readers here to consider two reports; one from Telegraph and the other from Guardian to get a feel for the difference in the way same report from the IEO is reported.

I'd recommend reading Executive Summary and then two newspaper reports.


Original Report from IEO - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/pages/Com...uation267.aspx

Executive Summary from Report - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/files/com...%20Summary.pdf


Telepgraph Article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ses-for-the-i/

Guardian Article - https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-do-to-greece

BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22791248

WSJ - http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...27202781667088


Interesting how the sensationalised headline is so different on the Telegraph. Disastrous love affair and immolation Wow!


With respect to knowing all this back in the 80s, referring to events in 2007-8 and PIGS melt down??? Well if they say so... you should believe them judged on all their previous news reporting.


What is known is that having a common market, with a common currency, one needs common fiscal rules. It is not enough to have free movement of labour and partial harmonisation of some tax (like VAT) and trading rules.

However, to get powers to set common fiscal rules needs legislative and further powers for EU Parliament to take and that needs more political union and their lies the crux of the problem.

With respect to PIGS problems, it is largely their own making which weren't checked or controlled by the EU. Tough balancing act imo. You can take that and sell facts anyway you want.

All chickens come home to roost sooner or later...


Telegraph is such a naff paper to read. My strong opinion and yes I know we all have them too.

Last edited by Atilla; Jul 30, 2016 at 1:26pm.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:50pm   #116
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Once again the Telegraph takes a few facts and totally distorts and lies about what actually was said.

I have on many occasions highlighted the inconsistent distortions but you seldom comment on the lies and deceit you spread. But then again you are happy with what the Telegraph pushes at you and you accept irrespective of any lack of integrity in the reporting of the facts.

They really should quote the article rather than proceed with sensationalised fodder feeding for a select party fest of extremes.


I would suggest readers here to consider two reports; one from Telegraph and the other from Guardian to get a feel for the difference in the way same report from the IEO is reported.

I'd recommend reading Executive Summary and then two newspaper reports.


Original Report from IEO - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/pages/Com...uation267.aspx

Executive Summary from Report - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/files/com...%20Summary.pdf


Telepgraph Article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ses-for-the-i/

Guardian Article - https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-do-to-greece

BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22791248

WSJ - http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...27202781667088


Interesting how the sensationalised headline is so different on the Telegraph. Disastrous love affair and immolation Wow!


With respect to knowing all this back in the 80s, referring to events in 2007-8 and PIGS melt down??? Well if they say so... you should believe them judged on all their previous news reporting.


What is known is that having a common market, with a common currency, one needs common fiscal rules. It is not enough to have free movement of labour and partial harmonisation of some tax (like VAT) and trading rules.

However, to get powers to set common fiscal rules needs legislative and further powers for EU Parliament to take and that needs more political union and their lies the crux of the problem.

With respect to PIGS problems, it is largely their own making which weren't checked or controlled by the EU. Tough balancing act imo. You can take that and sell facts anyway you want.

All chickens come home to roost sooner or later...


Telegraph is such a naff paper to read. My strong opinion and yes I know we all have them too.
He doesn't read The Telegraph, does he?

Ugh!
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:02pm   #117
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
He doesn't read The Telegraph, does he?

Ugh!

He doesn't have to read it because he knew what the report would say back in 1980.


That'll take some beating.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:44pm   #118
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Once again the Telegraph takes a few facts and totally distorts and lies about what actually was said.

I have on many occasions highlighted the inconsistent distortions but you seldom comment on the lies and deceit you spread. But then again you are happy with what the Telegraph pushes at you and you accept irrespective of any lack of integrity in the reporting of the facts.

They really should quote the article rather than proceed with sensationalised fodder feeding for a select party fest of extremes.


I would suggest readers here to consider two reports; one from Telegraph and the other from Guardian to get a feel for the difference in the way same report from the IEO is reported.

I'd recommend reading Executive Summary and then two newspaper reports.


Original Report from IEO - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/pages/Com...uation267.aspx

Executive Summary from Report - http://www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/files/com...%20Summary.pdf


Telepgraph Article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ses-for-the-i/

Guardian Article - https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-do-to-greece

BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22791248

WSJ - http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...27202781667088


Interesting how the sensationalised headline is so different on the Telegraph. Disastrous love affair and immolation Wow!


With respect to knowing all this back in the 80s, referring to events in 2007-8 and PIGS melt down??? Well if they say so... you should believe them judged on all their previous news reporting.


What is known is that having a common market, with a common currency, one needs common fiscal rules. It is not enough to have free movement of labour and partial harmonisation of some tax (like VAT) and trading rules.

However, to get powers to set common fiscal rules needs legislative and further powers for EU Parliament to take and that needs more political union and their lies the crux of the problem.

With respect to PIGS problems, it is largely their own making which weren't checked or controlled by the EU. Tough balancing act imo. You can take that and sell facts anyway you want.

All chickens come home to roost sooner or later...


Telegraph is such a naff paper to read. My strong opinion and yes I know we all have them too.
One thing for sure, iv'e no intention of wading through that little lot, thanks.

Let me just sum up why the EU cannot work, and all this has been debated throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond.

Different cultures, countries, ethos, all supposedly working together to create One big harmonious productive group.

This is absolute sphericals !

Are you suggesting that productive countries like Germany and the UK have the same values and goals as countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal etc. The latter countries shut down in the afternoon for a nap!

So this puts to bed the myth that everyone is working together to achieve the same ends. The reality is, that the more productive countries end up subsidising the rest and the aggregate performance becomes mediocre, or in times of slowdown or crisis, negative. Less productive countries become a drag on overall performance!

So, the bigger the group, the worse the overall performance of the whole.

Lying politicians trying to convince everyone that "it's in our interests to be part of a bigger group".
Well, they have all done a remarkable job haven't they, by deflecting, diverting, manipulating, etc. Anything but asking the people what they think !

Why different age groups voted for different sides of the argument.

Pretty simple answer is that the older you are, the more you have lived through this experiment and all the arguments along the way, the more likely you were to vote out.
The younger generations know less about anything that has gone before. (these are the Ones who can be manipulated and be told anything). They don't have experiential, informed wisdom to draw their own conclusions. (think SNP and votes for 16 yr olds)

Eurozone performance is dire and will only get worse. This is why it will all collapse over time.
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:30pm   #119
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
One thing for sure, iv'e no intention of wading through that little lot, thanks.

Didn't ask you to read it all. Just compare headlines and few paragraphs. Presentation by Telegraph and the sensationalising headlines says it all.

Depends how you like your news to be fed.


Let me just sum up why the EU cannot work, and all this has been debated throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond.

Has been working since the 1950s. UK had same views back then as you do now. Didn't join until 1972. Ask your self why and what happened in those 22 years?

Different cultures, countries, ethos, all supposedly working together to create One big harmonious productive group.

This is absolute sphericals !

Brexit camp touts the Common Wealth a lot and their cultures considerably different to EUs. Anyhow each to their own but Europe is indeed coming together whether we think it or not.

Are you suggesting that productive countries like Germany and the UK have the same values and goals as countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal etc. The latter countries shut down in the afternoon for a nap!

In countries like Italy, Portugal and Spain one can't work between 12-2pm! It's simply too hot. So one has Siesta time and work longer in the evening. Shops stay open longer into the night. Different countries have different strengths and advantages.

So this puts to bed the myth that everyone is working together to achieve the same ends. The reality is, that the more productive countries end up subsidising the rest and the aggregate performance becomes mediocre, or in times of slowdown or crisis, negative. Less productive countries become a drag on overall performance!

Same old North South divide story. Whether it's within a country like the UK or EU, demographic factors always play a part.

So, the bigger the group, the worse the overall performance of the whole.

Lying politicians trying to convince everyone that "it's in our interests to be part of a bigger group".
Well, they have all done a remarkable job haven't they, by deflecting, diverting, manipulating, etc. Anything but asking the people what they think !

Why different age groups voted for different sides of the argument.

Pretty simple answer is that the older you are, the more you have lived through this experiment and all the arguments along the way, the more likely you were to vote out.
The younger generations know less about anything that has gone before. (these are the Ones who can be manipulated and be told anything). They don't have experiential, informed wisdom to draw their own conclusions. (think SNP and votes for 16 yr olds)

Eurozone performance is dire and will only get worse. This is why it will all collapse over time.

Wow, quite a put down on younger generations.

At what age would you consider one who has sufficient experience of life to be able to judge then?
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:44pm   #120
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Wow, quite a put down on younger generations.

At what age would you consider one who has sufficient experience of life to be able to judge then?
Obviously there will be overlap across all generations.

But in general, older more life experienced people will vote according to that accumulated experience and wisdom. The Ones who learned from their own and others mistakes.
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brexit - in or out Pat494 The Foyer 2052 Jul 7, 2016 12:25am
For or Against Brexit 2017? hhiusa The Foyer 178 Jun 21, 2015 11:58pm
Sean Quinn's Anglo CFD's and the consequences HairyMoose First Steps 0 Jul 24, 2012 8:35pm
consequences of end to Mark to market accounting in relation to bank stress test samba12 General Trading Chat 18 Apr 7, 2009 12:58pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)