Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Anyone watched this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo Culham in Oxfordshire is about to be decimated by a new development of 3,500 houses. This ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:17am   #4873
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Anyone watched this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo

Culham in Oxfordshire is about to be decimated by a new development of 3,500 houses. This is greenbelt land where the locals lead a sleepy life unconcerned by events. Or so they thought!
I bet none of these residents voted for Brexit.

I wonder what they might be thinking now about why so many people need new housing and services ! Nothing to do with uncontrolled immigration and free movement.

I wonder if they have joined the dots yet ?

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:34am   #4874
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post

I wonder what they might be thinking now about why so many people need new housing and services ! Nothing to do with uncontrolled immigration and free movement.

I wonder if they have joined the dots yet ?

The elephant in the room is getting fatter and yet they will still find ways to avoid talking about it.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:04pm   #4875

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread What Boris Johnson’s Brexit Speech Tells Us About U.K. Politics

Got a frosty reception. Much hot air and no substance.

Bumbling baffoon.

Turning into sad loser.

All hope and not much on numbers. CV no doubt will think it is the next best thing to sliced bread
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:31pm   #4876
Joined May 2016
Attached Thumbnails
dvxyxomx0aevzhw.jpg  
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:38am   #4877
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
What Boris Johnson’s Brexit Speech Tells Us About U.K. Politics

Got a frosty reception. Much hot air and no substance.

Bumbling baffoon.

Turning into sad loser.

All hope and not much on numbers. CV no doubt will think it is the next best thing to sliced bread
Reasonable outline I suppose, but doesn't go far enough.

Anyway, it is abundantly clear now that remoaners need to throw in the towel. The battle is totally lost and it's time to move on. There is no point in wasting energy fighting for stuff that isn't going to happen and i'm trying to be helpful here, but disappearing into your rabbit hole is not at all productive and it might well play havoc with mental health.

So, embrace the future and all the opportunities that will open up.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:20pm   #4878

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread Just under 3,500 registered to work in 2017, a 26 percent drop from 2014.
By Donato Paolo Mancini
February 15, 2018, 5:15 AM GMT

Andrea Pevere had a great job offer: a permanent position as an anesthesiologist in the U.K., where she had previously worked and lived. But she worried about what would happen to her immigration status—she is Italian—once Britain formally leaves the European Union in 2019.

Instead, like an increasing number of European doctors, she decided against the move, accepting a limited-term contract in France.

“If you want to build a future,” said Pevere, 35, “you just think twice about choosing the U.K. for a long-term job.”

The number of doctors coming to the U.K. from the European Union fell 9 percent in 2017 to an eight-year low, according to new figures from the U.K.’s General Medical Council obtained by Bloomberg through a freedom of information request. There were 3,458 new doctors from EU countries who registered to work in 2017, down 26 percent from a peak of 4,644 in 2014, the council’s data show.

Doctors who have considered working in the U.K. say it will only get worse, thanks to Britain’s 2016 decision to leave the EU. Non-Brits haven’t had a clear answer on whether they’ll be able to live and work in an independent U.K., despite attempts at reassurance from Theresa May’s government.

No need for foreign doctors or nurses!

Once migrant labour goes back or stop coming here system will balance it self out and NHS will be tickety boo again.

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:16pm   #4879

Joined Feb 2012
Ahh well, at least we can feel better about poaching skilled doctors from other countries where there’s greater demand for them..... every cloud...

Controlled migration, not no migration..
mike. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:28pm   #4880

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
Ahh well, at least we can feel better about poaching skilled doctors from other countries where there’s greater demand for them..... every cloud...

Controlled migration, not no migration..

Control is an illusion. They've already stopped coming. I don't think you've read the article. Nursing and Doctor applications are both down whilst GP Surgeries have unfulfilled vacancies.

Add to that brain drain and Brits who are able to leave the UK who will do.

I hope it works out for you.

On another note the skills required to build the new future with AI, driverless cars and new standards will all be established by Europe and Asia. UK will simply have to learn to tag along rather than setting them at the head of the table.

The gigantic size of future technologies require national & international planning. This is what our pea-sized-brained politicians fail to see. Setting standards and building to those standards, licensing and patenting is where the future will be. Think about it. We can't even produce a car now what chance do we have of competing in the future when we will be falling behind in the technology race.

Did you hear Boris calling for university students to be wolcomeed in the UK? I hope you realise they made up the bulk of migrant labour who chose to stay and work in the UK.

Brexiters need to sort your selves out as to what you want and what you don't? We'll have you but not you. You'll do, you can naff off. You must be the fat controller.

Take back control indeed but first make up your minds as to what you want