Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by Signalcalc How could you analyse Brexit - a sample of one? It's not the sole instance of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:44pm   #4033

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalcalc View Post
How could you analyse Brexit - a sample of one?
It's not the sole instance of secession in all of history.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:07pm   #4034
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
It's not the sole instance of secession in all of history.
Secessions are successful when the oppressor is weak. Still don't know the sample size.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:36pm   #4035
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
The pre-Renaissance scientists were certainly different and although they were called "philosophers" they did mostly believe in a flat Earth until Pythagoras put them right in 6 BC. Despite later religious belief to the contrary, the early Christian church did in fact believe in a spherical earth. All of which of course just goes to show how inconsistent experts can be.

I've always thought that the good thing about experts is that you can always find one to support the view that you believe in. Unfortunately, unless you are an expert yourself in the chosen field then you have little choice but to accept what the experts say. It brings to mind medical opinion on smoking during the period 1920s to 1950s – especially in the USA – where the profession approved & even encouraged it while participating in tobacco company advertising.

So that's why I have a healthy disrespect for experts!

Whether those pre-Renaissance guys were philosophers or priests, what they had to support their flat earth view was strength of belief, not strength of observation-based evidence.

The scientists in the 20's-50's didn't have it either because they hadn't looked for it. The fact that these groups were wrong doesn't undermine science or evidence-based decision-making. In fact it rather supports it.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:46pm   #4036

Joined Aug 2003
Indeed. The anti-science crowd seems to believe that since we don't know everything, we don't know anything. Bacteria weren't "discovered" until the 17th century, yet doctors were saving lives for centuries before that.

Duck Dynasty ran for eleven years. Cosmos ran for one. Draw your own conclusions.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:16am   #4037
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Not going very well for the EU is it. How much more can they take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41708844

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:06am   #4038

Joined Mar 2004
Capitalism buys and sells "experts" with few principles or great monetary needs.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:42am   #4039
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
More trouble at mill!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41712263

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:35pm   #4040

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
On that link I also see that our impartial and agenda-less BBC reports that:

Top Stories
Labour: UK heading for no Brexit deal
Emily Thornberry predicts the UK's "intransigence" will stop agreement being reached with Brussels.

Perhaps what Emily Thornberry really means is that the UK should roll over and and pay up whatever the EU Politburo deems to be their satisfaction. I really don't see how this equates to UK intransigence.

Good job there are some dedicated Brexiteers who will save us from such folly!

« Joke of the day | - »