Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by timsk Moggy going full tilt. What a (upper) class act he is. He neatly sums up why ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 2:21pm   #6001

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Moggy going full tilt. What a (upper) class act he is. He neatly sums up why the EU is the problem and not the solution and how it's a threat to democracy.
Enjoy . . .
Beg to differ m'lud.

To my mind JRM personifies the Wykehamist Fallacy: he's articulate, quick-witted, tolerably erudite ....and exudes honesty - as Groucho Marx said "If you can fake that, you've got it made". People are falling for it - an upper class, moneyed, out of touch hypocrite with doubtful beliefs, an opaque personal agenda and he's flavour of the month!!! So much for the intelligence of crowds.

What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?

My secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQG1K_9Nvvk
cantagril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:25pm   #6002
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
I remember bumping into common sense once and was told it had been sacked and replaced by incompetence.
FXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: cantagril
Old Today, 3:37pm   #6003

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantagril View Post
Beg to differ m'lud.

To my mind JRM personifies the Wykehamist Fallacy: he's articulate, quick-witted, tolerably erudite ....and exudes honesty - as Groucho Marx said "If you can fake that, you've got it made". People are falling for it - an upper class, moneyed, out of touch hypocrite with doubtful beliefs, an opaque personal agenda and he's flavour of the month!!! So much for the intelligence of crowds.

What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?
Surely that's a very unusual trait in politicians and isn't that what the electorate is crying out for? There's no leadership from May or Corbyn – Wykehamist or any other kind. Objectivity is always in short supply, but reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism seem to be alive and well.
Old Today, 3:49pm   #6004

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Surely that's a very unusual trait in politicians and isn't that what the electorate is crying out for? There's no leadership from May or Corbyn – Wykehamist or any other kind. Objectivity is always in short supply, but reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism seem to be alive and well.
Precisely!
The electorate ( or 'The people" if you prefer) are taken in by JRM because of his perceived attributes NOT his substance. It is of course true that he's not a Wykehamist but Eton makes for a passable stand-in.

My point concerning either of these Good Old Boys is that the form belies the content. In my view he's no less a liar and an incompetent than any of the other public school types that have sleazed their way into Westminster. The difference is that he appears to be better, appears to be competent, appears to honest etc etc ad nauseam..... and the Masses, unwashed and washed, are falling for it.

Caveat emptor.

My secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQG1K_9Nvvk
cantagril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:00pm   #6005
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Beg to differ m'lud.

Are you judging the man and not the content of his speech?

Despite his failings JRM is one of a very few, possibly the only, serving MP, that manages to articulate and reveal aspects of the EU that is difficult to find elsewhere, good on him.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:03pm   #6006
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Precisely!
The electorate ( or 'The people" if you prefer) are taken in by JRM because of his perceived attributes NOT his substance. It is of course true that he's not a Wykehamist but Eton makes for a passable stand-in.

My point concerning either of these Good Old Boys is that the form belies the content. In my view he's no less a liar and an incompetent than any of the other public school types that have sleazed their way into Westminster. The difference is that he appears to be better, appears to be competent, appears to honest etc etc ad nauseam..... and the Masses, unwashed and washed, are falling for it.

Caveat emptor.
The masses will fall for anything LibLabCon, it matters not from which party it comes. The veneer may change but the substance remains the same.
Old Today, 4:13pm   #6007

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Precisely!

Caveat emptor.
I have no evidence to disagree with that - all leaders need to display those qualities if they are to carry the sheep with them. But it's not until they actually get to be in charge that you find out whether there's any substance behind it all. In politics it's difficult to get rid of the incompetents; military procedure is to shunt them off to somewhere quiet where they can do no harm. Shame we don't do that with MPs sooner instead of waiting for them to retire to the Lords.
Old Today, 5:00pm   #6008
Joined May 2016
I guess most footy fans voted Brexit then

https://apple.news/AQG7tm-ToSIaqvuERGKCtFA

See how they tie anti-Brexit with anti-Semitic and Nazism though.
Old Today, 6:05pm   #6009
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
. . .What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?
Hi cantagril,
Sorry, I'm afraid your post was waaay over the top of my single celled swede! I'm not sure what it is about JRM that you think people are falling for? I would have thought his upbringing, education and wealth would, for the most part, count against him rather than be in his favour. Personally, I don't care about any of that, I just care about his ability to cut to the heart of the Brexit issue. As Sig' rightly points out, it's the content of his speech that impresses me and I'd urge others to judge that - as opposed to JRM himself.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote

« World Cup 2018 | - »