Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by counter_violent I already know there will be no deal, cos when the public are told they have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 24, 2018, 4:20pm   #5671

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post

I already know there will be no deal, cos when the public are told they have been sold a pup, there will be hell on.
Eventually May will have to come clean – hopefully that will be before it's too late for someone else to step in and pick up the pieces. I suspect that a lot of people who don't follow Brexit too closely have so far taken her at her word. Rather late 1930s Chamberlain-ish don't you think?
Old May 24, 2018, 5:51pm   #5672
Joined May 2016
Did anyone say, in the run-up to the referendum, that any of this wouldn't be easy? I'm sure Farage or similar would have mentioned that leaving the EU would be a difficult and frustrating task. When you are David, pitched against Goliath, you need the right weapon. It appears that the Tories haven't picked the correct weapon, or maybe they have? Unlike David and Goliath the battles are ongoing, the war will be won, but it's a long and difficult campaign, much like WW1, the generals are useless, it will be down to the foot soldiers to win the campaign, but we'll get there eventually.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: steve zodiac 57
Old May 24, 2018, 9:38pm   #5674
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
1930's related

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Eventually May will have to come clean – hopefully that will be before it's too late for someone else to step in and pick up the pieces. I suspect that a lot of people who don't follow Brexit too closely have so far taken her at her word. Rather late 1930s Chamberlain-ish don't you think?
Here he goes again rewriting history to suit the narrative and his current agenda!

The Brexit voting public gets the blame when we all know how corporate greed, mismanagement, accountability, lack of proper governance and regulation were to blame. He would give Hans Cristian Andersen a run for his money with his fairy tales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44247290

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 9:46pm   #5675
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
good on ya

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...eporting-story

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
Old May 24, 2018, 9:59pm   #5676
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
There is no getting there! Nothing has been defined or said about the end destination.

There is only gettttting out of the EU.

Talking of war and strategy, tactics are to exit the EU and some how that'll deliver the strategy of us making deals all over the world in a few months much like mushrooms popping out of the ground.

The whole shenannigans and approach is just crazy.

Of course we all know they have taken place but results soooo bad it would be crazy to publicise them strengthening EU negotiating position.

Brexiteers however, as rightly pointed out, keep dreaming about some hocus pocus wunderbar lala land that'll just come to be.

Truth of the matter is that this promised wunderbar lala land is more of an apparition in Brexiteers minds that'll just dissolve into nothingness. Empty promises of many zilch's.

As I ask if there was any substance, credence or compelling case, with an over whelming benefit to the UK, as they say in the movies, we certainly wouldn't be having these discussions would we?

I’d much prefer zilch to the EU, and that’s giving the EU some credit
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 10:12pm   #5677

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
That's what I call putting a spin on it.

You suggesting she's an ethical MP standing on principals???

Every Tom Dick and Harry along with his cat knows elections are imminent and to make a name for them selves coming out of the wood work.

As for rewriting rules re: Mark Carney, you and moggy boy must have the slowest grey cells in the country as well as deceitful ones.

Brexit will lead to pound collapsing and leading to rise in import prices as the UK has a high propensity for foodstuff and oil. We all observed this. Wages will not and can not rise to keep pace as UK productivity is naff all. It lags rest of EU and large extent the World.

Imports from other cheaper sources will not materialise as cheaper tarriffs will be ofset by the rest of the World dumping British assets, falling pound to fall raising import prices.

BoE will have no choice but to raise rates to prop up the pound to stave off inflationary pressures. This is not fiction. You've seen it already. It's fact!

Bet you still don't get it!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:07am   #5678

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
That's what I call putting a spin on it.

You suggesting she's an ethical MP standing on principals???

Every Tom Dick and Harry along with his cat knows elections are imminent and to make a name for them selves coming out of the wood work.

As for rewriting rules re: Mark Carney, you and moggy boy must have the slowest grey cells in the country as well as deceitful ones.

Brexit will lead to pound collapsing and leading to rise in import prices as the UK has a high propensity for foodstuff and oil. We all observed this. Wages will not and can not rise to keep pace as UK productivity is naff all. It lags rest of EU and large extent the World.

Imports from other cheaper sources will not materialise as cheaper tarriffs will be ofset by the rest of the World dumping British assets, falling pound to fall raising import prices.

BoE will have no choice but to raise rates to prop up the pound to stave off inflationary pressures. This is not fiction. You've seen it already. It's fact!

Bet you still don't get it!
Funny that ! Carney says a hard Brexit could see proposed rate increases put on hold for many years. BOE will do whatever it takes to support the UK economy.

Seems to me that he is clueless and you are equally clueless. Did you study at the same uni by any chance

Just couldn't make this sh1t up

The reason why the UK is slowing down is due entirely to the ongoing uncertainty over Brexit.

It's the reason why house sales are drifting lower, it's the reason why investment has stagnated, it's the reason why everyone is putting plans on hold until they know the outcome of Brexit.

Once we know the outcome (deal or no deal) then people, businesses, will take actions. That's why economists are a complete waste of time. That's why forecasting is another complete waste of time. Experts another complete waste of everyone's time.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
Old May 25, 2018, 1:12am   #5679

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Funny that ! Carney says a hard Brexit could see proposed rate increases put on hold for many years. BOE will do whatever it takes to support the UK economy.

Seems to me that he is clueless and you are equally clueless. Did you study at the same uni by any chance

Just couldn't make this sh1t up

The reason why the UK is slowing down is due entirely to the ongoing uncertainty over Brexit.

It's the reason why house sales are drifting lower, it's the reason why investment has stagnated, it's the reason why everyone is putting plans on hold until they know the outcome of Brexit.

Once we know the outcome (deal or no deal) then people, businesses, will take actions. That's why economists are a complete waste of time. That's why forecasting is another complete waste of time. Experts another complete waste of everyone's time.

Dear CV,

You really should pause just to reflect on your appreciation of the situ. Honestly just stop, pause and think for a second or two.

What your emperor Moggy has said - is fallacious. Prices will increase with Brexit. Removing EU tariffs will be offset by currency depreciation. This is as we have experienced already.

BoE is clearly stating the inflation target may have to be re-prioritised placing economic jobs and growth up that list. Government objectives are always contradictory. This goes back to the full employment v inflation Phillips curve debates. The curve may have lost some of it's appeal but never the less relationship between interest rates, inflation and unemployment is a valid one. You have a choice?

What we don't have is the BS perpetrated by Brexiteers about lower prices from rest of the world on food stuff, rising wages and higher employment as migration is stopped. Promises are just politicians talking out of their rear ends.

These are facts and choices. You getting high n mighty throwing a strop about university academics or experts because they don't tally up with your Brexit view is poor show. Nothing more.

I can't believe you knock forecasters whilst in the same breath BELIEVE Brexiteers have got a handle on certainty of outcome on your rose tinted view of UK doing great post Brexit contrary to studies and 'expert' opinion. Think about it for fraction of a milli-second.

PS. That red line you've highlighted is a valid. Rest of the World; US, EU and Asia all doing well. Why just UK suddenly hitting a wet damp sticky patch? Uncertainty has put investment on hold whilst precipitating departure of business elsewhere. Why do you think FTSE is at all time highs? It's because those companies earn monies outside UK and the pound is falling. Comon sparky keep up!

Old May 25, 2018, 3:45pm   #5680

Joined Mar 2004
I would advise the PM to set up an export/import initiative to:

1. Locate markets around the world. The US's Trump is cancelling his trading agreements. Great let's move into those gaps.

2. Look around for other partners than the stodgy old EU. They are hopelessly out of touch and riven with fraud etc. the accountants won't sign the accountancy books it is so bad. We could make a trading club to rival them. No need to get greedy.

3. Hold talks with the Unions and Management bodies to break the old Them V. Us mentality. If they can't work together we might as well pull the sheets over our heads and nod off.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 4:28pm   #5681

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I would advise the PM to set up an export/import initiative to:

1. Locate markets around the world. The US's Trump is cancelling his trading agreements. Great let's move into those gaps.

2. Look around for other partners than the stodgy old EU. They are hopelessly out of touch and riven with fraud etc. the accountants won't sign the accountancy books it is so bad. We could make a trading club to rival them. No need to get greedy.

3. Hold talks with the Unions and Management bodies to break the old Them V. Us mentality. If they can't work together we might as well pull the sheets over our heads and nod off.
Have they tried Carillion's KPMG crowd?
Old Yesterday, 6:25pm   #5682
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
anyone know whats happening to us poor Brit travellers to europe post Brexit ?

i understand we are doomed to the Shengen agreement and we will be treated like canadians , Yanks and Aussies .......we will need visas and will only be allowed to spend 90 days in any 180 days in Europe .....

my wife is furious as we were planning to buy something ........has saved me a fortune though so bring the Visa on !!!

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:02pm   #5683

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
anyone know whats happening to us poor Brit travellers to europe post Brexit ?

i understand we are doomed to the Shengen agreement and we will be treated like canadians , Yanks and Aussies .......we will need visas and will only be allowed to spend 90 days in any 180 days in Europe .....

my wife is furious as we were planning to buy something ........has saved me a fortune though so bring the Visa on !!!

N

She can apply for an EU passport in the country of her choice where she is buying.

Old Yesterday, 10:02pm   #5684

Joined Feb 2012
I wonder if the following will happen in the irish 7th amendment referendum...

1. Another referendum..We didnt know what we were voting for.
2. take the result to court
3. only partially apply the changes.
4. put the result through the house of lords
5. put the loosing side in charge of implementing the changes
6. All of the above....
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:12am   #5685

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
I wonder if the following will happen in the irish 7th amendment referendum...

1. Another referendum..We didnt know what we were voting for.
2. take the result to court
3. only partially apply the changes.
4. put the result through the house of lords
5. put the loosing side in charge of implementing the changes
6. All of the above....
7. They may have to run it by Brussels for ratification

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now