Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by cantagril BTW: Neanderthals? That was me? Nah, just me being sarky....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:44pm   #4816

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantagril View Post

BTW: Neanderthals? That was me?

Nah, just me being sarky.
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: cantagril
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:47pm   #4817

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread Let's all give a big hand to Stephen Huyton. My kinda guy demanding his rights. Why should he give them up for a bunch of mad hooligans.

Brexit: Britons' citizenship case to be taken to European court

That Moggie fella is a real nasty piece of work. 6 children and never changed dipers once. What kind of a father figure do you think that makes him?

Apparently, read somewhere he thinks even if a daughter is raped and falls pregnant to her father she should have the baby. My stomach churns at these religious nuts who seem to pass some kind of superior judgement over other peoples rights and freedoms. Makes me so very annoyed.

I feel Mr Huyton is more of a better well adjusted super English gentlemen than this Moggie waste of space.

Admirable fella Mr Huyton. He gets my vote.

He and his family maintain that they hold independent rights as EU citizens, above those of any specific member state.

However, many Brexit supporters argue that the ECJ should not have power to overrule British court decisions.

More than a million British nationals live in EU countries and about 42,500 live in the Netherlands.

"You cannot play with the lives of 1.2 million people as if they are pieces on a chess board," said Mr Huyton, who was not eligible to vote in the UK's EU referendum in 2016 as he had been living outside the UK for more than 15 years.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:05pm   #4818

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread Versions of Brexit under consideration by the cabinet could cut British manufacturing exports by up to a third, according to new economic modelling that finds leave-voting areas such as Sunderland, Coventry, Derby and County Durham suffering most as a result.

As a special subcommittee of the cabinet meets on Wednesday to agree trade priorities in the absence of a customs union with the EU, pressure is growing on the government to spell out the implications of a go-it-alone strategy for industrial regions of the country.

A team of trade experts at the University of Sussex has built on recently leaked estimates from the Treasury by analysing the relative impact of the different scenarios now in vogue on 122 manufacturing sectors.
The paper, by the UK Trade Policy Observatory, finds that even if the government is able to strike free trade agreements (FTAs) with every other major country, it would still lead to falls in exports of 34% and 30% for the food and textiles industries respectively if they face new barriers with their main markets in Europe.

“Even achievement of the (literally) incredible objective of signing FTAs with every non-EU country would not compensate for the loss of the relationship with the EU,” write the team, led by Prof Alasdair Smith.
While food processing would enjoy domestic sales increases that would offset the blow, the overall impact of relying solely on trade deals outside Europe would be to cut all manufacturing exports by 13% and reduce total output by 3.6% as sectors such as carmaking struggle to gain access to markets, according to the research.

“Areas of the country where there are many jobs in food processing may see gains in output, but most manufacturing jobs are in sectors which are at risk from Brexit, and a list of the areas most at risk – Sunderland, Birmingham, Coventry, Derby, Cheshire East, Solihull, and County Durham – show the importance of the motor industry in assessing the risks of Brexit,” they added.

Despite mounting pressure from the business community, the government’s official strategy is still to find “frictionless” ways of offsetting the pain of leaving the EU single market and customs union as well as striking new international deals.

“We will be leaving the EU and the customs union and it is not government policy to be members of the customs union or a customs union,” said a spokesman this week. “[A] paper in August set out two possible options and they are a highly streamlined customs arrangement and a new customs partnership with the EU.”
But some Brexiters such as Jacob Rees-Mogg go further still and argue that the government should increase the relative boost from new markets by embracing a radically unilateral approach to free trade.

Rees-Mogg cites research by free-traders such as Prof Patrick Minford of Cardiff University, who has argued the subsequent benefit to consumers would offset the possible “elimination” of manufacturing in such a scenario.
“Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech,” Minford wrote. “But this shouldn’t scare us.”

However, the latest research by Sussex University argues that the damage to manufacturing from lost access in Europe would hit the parts of the economy most valued by politicians.

“High, medium-high and medium R&D intensive sectors all seem likely to suffer more from the effects of Brexit,” they wrote. “This is an important result since the UK government’s industrial strategy seeks to promote high-tech sectors: Brexit might make it harder to achieve this objective.”
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:41am   #4819
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
I think it's time we had a Jacob Rees Mogg thread. What say you?

Here he is filling in for that lefty snowflake O'Brian on LBC

The second caller is brilliant

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now

Last edited by counter_violent; Feb 9, 2018 at 8:47am.
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: mike.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:29pm   #4820

Joined Jun 2016
The Moggster - Measuring up the curtains?

https://order-order.com/2018/02/08/m...#disqus_thread
click this link to watch

mogg-curtains.jpg
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:43pm   #4821

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
I think it's time we had a Jacob Rees Mogg thread. What say you?

Here he is filling in for that lefty snowflake O'Brian on LBC

The second caller is brilliant

I'm afraid his economic argument all rests on one premise. Trading with other countries levying zero tariffs on food and clothing and thus reducing prices to consumers who'll then have greater disposable income.

Here are some basic reasons why his talking mega total rubbish.

1. You've all seen the Brexit effect on the pound. A 20% collapse in the pound exceeds any reduction in tariffs.

This is a fact you've all observed. Prices were rising and interest rate pressure grew thus .25 basis point increase.

How he bangs on about this as if it is a Brexit benefit is nonsense.

2. Importing goods from elsewhere outside of the EU has issues too; primarily reduced standards, higher transportation costs and other producers will raise prices to be slightly below EU.

3. If reducing tariffs is all about consumer getting cheaper goods and thus benefiting consumer is the big deal, well then, even if EU levies tariffs against us then it is surely in our benefit to take off all tariffs on imports to reduce prices and thus raise disposable income.

On so many levels his argument doesn't add up. It's far too simple assuming everything else remains the same whilst EU goods substituted with cheaper produce from elsewhere.

If this is the best of Britain from the party of business then Tories are well and truly skewered.

Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:19pm   #4822
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I'm afraid his economic argument all rests on one premise. Trading with other countries levying zero tariffs on food and clothing and thus reducing prices to consumers who'll then have greater disposable income.

Here are some basic reasons why his talking mega total rubbish.

1. You've all seen the Brexit effect on the pound. A 20% collapse in the pound exceeds any reduction in tariffs.

This is a fact you've all observed. Prices were rising and interest rate pressure grew thus .25 basis point increase.

How he bangs on about this as if it is a Brexit benefit is nonsense.

2. Importing goods from elsewhere outside of the EU has issues too; primarily reduced standards, higher transportation costs and other producers will raise prices to be slightly below EU.

3. If reducing tariffs is all about consumer getting cheaper goods and thus benefiting consumer is the big deal, well then, even if EU levies tariffs against us then it is surely in our benefit to take off all tariffs on imports to reduce prices and thus raise disposable income.

On so many levels his argument doesn't add up. It's far too simple assuming everything else remains the same whilst EU goods substituted with cheaper produce from elsewhere.

If this is the best of Britain from the party of business then Tories are well and truly skewered.

I like his version of economics and when we end up with a no deal, we can save the 38Bn that the appeaser has promised the EU, for what exactly! I have no idea.

EU is in deep financial sh1t and without UK's money to prop them up, will fall apart very quickly indeed.

On the subject of goods from wherever, bring it on I say. If the UK says it's open for business, then they will be queuing up to sell to us. We might actually start getting some value for money for a change.

The other thing that needs curtailing is foreign aid. 13Bn, I'm sure some of that cash would be better spent on the NHS for example.

The pound last week was on a par with the level it was at on the ref vote. So yet another debunked argument.

Seems pretty obvious to me and a few others that the Moggfather will be our next PM. Excellent communicator, excellent policies and his profile is shooting through the roof. Remember, Trump came from nowhere, he battled his own Republican party, he won over the voting public and he smashed the lilly livered Democrats out of the park. Moggy will do the same with the Tory party.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now

Last edited by counter_violent; Feb 9, 2018 at 9:28pm.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:01pm   #4823

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
I like his version of economics and when we end up with a no deal, we can save the 38Bn that the appeaser has promised the EU, for what exactly! I have no idea.

How can you like his version of economics I fail to understand? If I say to you prices are going to fall, wages are going to rise and homes will become affordable and you say you like my version of economics. Other people say otherwise and you say they are experts they are always wrong and they don't tell me what I want to hear.

Re: 38bn that's in exchange for services rendered by EU. How can it be a saving? If you don't pay you don't continue to get the same benefits that's made UK 5th in the GDP league? You comprehension of economics leaves much to be desired.

EU is in deep financial sh1t and without UK's money to prop them up, will fall apart very quickly indeed.

No different to US or UK. You should look at your own finances not your neighbours.

On the subject of goods from wherever, bring it on I say. If the UK says it's open for business, then they will be queuing up to sell to us. We might actually start getting some value for money for a change.Of course. Everyday people and business queuing up to sell services. How you going to get value for money I don't understand? Brexiters haven't demonstrated any plans cost or benefits. No impact study when we know full well they have but the maths all negative. Words are cheap. Demonstrate what benefits you talkign about. A commission to look at how trade can be increased with India... Right on. Jolly good. Get on with it then...

The other thing that needs curtailing is foreign aid. 13Bn, I'm sure some of that cash would be better spent on the NHS for example. There is no free money. That's just a cack handed way of subsidising industry much like the Empire days. You loan or give money wiht the condition it is spent on goods and servcies produced at home. It's how the UK and US stir pooh around the world to create business for their weapons industry. You really don't know or understand how governments work if may say so.

The pound last week was on a par with the level it was at on the ref vote. So yet another debunked argument. Pound rose as a consequence of Government making favourable noises about a softer Brexit after xmas. If you don't see this then you are not keeping up with the news.

Seems pretty obvious to me and a few others that the Moggfather will be our next PM. Excellent communicator, excellent policies and his profile is shooting through the roof. Remember, Trump came from nowhere, he battled his own Republican party, he won over the voting public and he smashed the lilly livered Democrats out of the park. Moggy will do the same with the Tory party.

Leadsom was pretty obvious to you too. Trump hasn't achieved anything yet other than giving away trillions of tax cuts when the economy was recovering anyhow. Now you are seeing the consequences of an over heating economy.

Bring on inflation and rate rises. What a hero??? Destroying the dollar standard. FOOLS know not what they DO? End of the Free World indeed. In fact death of the dollar will be dawn of a FREE NEW WORLD! Perhaps we should be grateful for Trump's actions for all the wrong reasons.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:11pm   #4824

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Leadsom was pretty obvious to you too. Trump hasn't achieved anything yet other than giving away trillions of tax cuts when the economy was recovering anyhow. Now you are seeing the consequences of an over heating economy.

Bring on inflation and rate rises. What a hero??? Destroying the dollar standard. FOOLS know not what they DO? End of the Free World indeed. In fact death of the dollar will be dawn of a FREE NEW WORLD! Perhaps we should be grateful for Trump's actions for all the wrong reasons.
Leadsom was knobbled by her own party machine. Had the contest run it's full course, then she would indeed have been the next PM. Grass roots would have voted her into office.

Now here's a chap who knows a thing or two about leadership and winners. I swear all these people are reading our thread!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/91...Union-EU-video

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:19pm   #4825
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Let's all give a big hand to Stephen Huyton. My kinda guy demanding his rights. Why should he give them up for a bunch of mad hooligans.

Brexit: Britons' citizenship case to be taken to European court

That Moggie fella is a real nasty piece of work. 6 children and never changed dipers once. What kind of a father figure do you think that makes him?

Apparently, read somewhere he thinks even if a daughter is raped and falls pregnant to her father she should have the baby. My stomach churns at these religious nuts who seem to pass some kind of superior judgement over other peoples rights and freedoms. Makes me so very annoyed.

I feel Mr Huyton is more of a better well adjusted super English gentlemen than this Moggie waste of space.

Admirable fella Mr Huyton. He gets my vote.

He and his family maintain that they hold independent rights as EU citizens, above those of any specific member state.

However, many Brexit supporters argue that the ECJ should not have power to overrule British court decisions.

More than a million British nationals live in EU countries and about 42,500 live in the Netherlands.

"You cannot play with the lives of 1.2 million people as if they are pieces on a chess board," said Mr Huyton, who was not eligible to vote in the UK's EU referendum in 2016 as he had been living outside the UK for more than 15 years.
"Mr Huyton, a director of a US firm who has lived in The Netherlands for the past 24 years.. "

ha! so this foreign joker wants to be an EU citizen - who cares!
Brexit is about Britain and British people.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:23pm   #4826

Joined Feb 2012
Have you paid your "best of britain" sub's Atilla ? gorgeous George has

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...reverse-brexit
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:23pm   #4827

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
"Mr Huyton, a director of a US firm who has lived in The Netherlands for the past 24 years.. "

ha! so this foreign joker wants to be an EU citizen - who cares!
Brexit is about Britain and British people.

Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:21pm   #4828
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:

yeah its good that foreigners were not eligible to vote
dont get me wrong i am all for togetherness and one world but believe we can move forward from here without being in EU
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:58pm   #4829

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
yeah its good that foreigners were not eligible to vote
dont get me wrong i am all for togetherness and one world but believe we can move forward from here without being in EU

Nice words.

Care to elaborate on what is moving forward for you?

So what happens to lives of 1.2m Brits in EU coupled with 48% of other Brits in the UK?

Considering it was a narrow margin, do you disassociate your self from any Englishman who chooses to live anywhere else outside of the UK?

Do you stop being English when you leave the Isles?

All those patriots and nationalists all too ready to give up on ones brethren. What's all that British identity all about then? British identity is now reduced to living in the UK. Well by that reasoning all migrants are also British wouldn't you say?

So why did Lord Nigel Lawson who lives in France have such a big part in Brexit and sovereignty nonsense how it was the most important aspect of Brexit. This is the guy wanted UK to join the Euro against civil service advice and Gordon Brown who was cautious and chose to keep the pound.

Lot of bluster with not much substance. Who's sovereignty is Lord Nigel blabbering on about then? Stupid old fool, lost his mind in his prune ages. Obviously not the 1.2 Brits including him self who lives abroad.

Is he confused or senile?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:00am   #4830
Joined May 2016
So the real hierarchy is now exposed:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018...exit-campaign/

as if we didn't already know
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote

« UK Politics | - »