Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by counter_violent Posen born in 1966 and raised in the US. What exactly is his experience of 1970's ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:51am   #801
tar

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Posen born in 1966 and raised in the US.

What exactly is his experience of 1970's Britain That's right.....zero !

And what of his qualifications.....oh he went to Harvard and read a few books....well whoop de diddley do.

Another useless expert best ignored !
Sat on the Bank of Englandís Monetary Policy Committee from 2009 to 2012 .
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:00pm   #802
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
Sat on the Bank of Englandís Monetary Policy Committee from 2009 to 2012 .
I rest my case m'lod.

President of PIIE
He certainly has a sense of humour.

PIE in the sky economics.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:14pm   #803
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Okay, I give in. I hereby formally tender my scalp to the remain camp!

I voted Leave and now I regret it: I made a mistake. Not because I 'didn't think it through' or because I'm racist or xenophobic - or for any other of the false accusations made against us Brexiteers. No, the reason is that I just can't live with the thought that the woman I went on marches as a student to protest against, and whose policies I loathed then and loathe now, appears to have been bang on the money regarding this issue. I was all for the EU back then and didn't understand Maggie's opposition to it. Now I have the prospect of having to re-evaluate everything else she said and consider the previously unthinkable possibility that she might have been right on other issues too. And that prospect is just too ghastly to contemplate. I can't do it. I realise this is a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but, even so, for this reason and this reason alone, the only solution to my conundrum is to switch my allegiance to the Remain camp.

Tim! Good grief!

But also, there is now no Remain camp. The French police moved in with bulldozers and broke it all up.

Boris Johnson's alright though - as an unaccompanied idiot he's been offered asylum.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:11pm   #804

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7384336.html

Brexit will 'take Britain back to the 1970s', says former Bank of England expert

Mr Posen said Britain faces stagflation, a situation of stagnant economic growth with rapidly rising prices faced in the late 1970s. The spiral of increasing prices reduced the value of peopleís wages

Very true and as a non qualified economist I agree.

This is a must watch clip imo. Especially towards the end when there is great clarity with no waffle where Adam Posen the former BoE Policy Maker states his clear opinion.

Must watch - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-off-good-news

Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:16pm   #805

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
Here is a gem from Posen in 2007

https://piie.com/commentary/op-eds/d...t-us-mortgages

Few financial developments have the drama of property busts. Accordingly, a great deal of attention is being paid lately to developments in the US real estate market and to the seemingly dangerous fate of residential mortgages there following the recent housing boom. While understandable, this attention is misplaced. Problems in either the so-called sub-prime mortgage market (of loans to borrowers with poor credit histories or limited assets) or the US real estate market more broadly are not going to have a major impact on the US economic outlook.
Similar stuff can be said about Nigel Lawson and Boris Johnson
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:49pm   #806
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Very true and as a non qualified economist I agree.

This is a must watch clip imo. Especially towards the end when there is great clarity with no waffle where Adam Posen the former BoE Policy Maker states his clear opinion.

Must watch - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-off-good-news

Notice how Posen doesn't expand on the rise of anti establishment sentiment across the EU and why it will ensure the EU's collapse.

He wouldn't like to be interviewed by me, that's for sure. I'd tie him in knots !

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Oscar Reed
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:11pm   #807

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Notice how Posen doesn't expand on the rise of anti establishment sentiment across the EU and why it will ensure the EU's collapse.

He wouldn't like to be interviewed by me, that's for sure. I'd tie him in knots !
He did acknowledge should the EU fail then that would be a positive for the UK !
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:15pm   #808
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
He did acknowledge should the EU fail then that would be a positive for the UK !
If the eu fails its probably going to be chaos.
forker is offline   Reply With Quote