Theresa May

This is a discussion on Theresa May within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Afghanistan really broke the British Empire with some crushing defeats ( the retreat from Kabul etc. ). Ditto the Soviet ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:17pm   #46
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Afghanistan really broke the British Empire with some crushing defeats ( the retreat from Kabul etc. ). Ditto the Soviet Empire. Why the politicians don't give it a rest I don't know. It has no oil/minerals etc.

Better left alone
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:39pm   #47
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread I doubt she will last much beyond Xmas

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...oq0?li=BBoPWjQ
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates

Last edited by Pat494; Aug 27, 2017 at 5:34pm.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:45pm   #48
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I doubt she will last much beyond Xmas

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...oq0?li=BBoPWjQ
I see that the story that she will quit in 2019 has already been denied by Downing Street – hopefully they've got an earlier date but they haven't yet briefed her.

Is there anybody in this country capable of taking it forward?
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:09am   #49
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
More political cr@p for those interested !

Full source here: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...n-may-s-future

"After this year’s election disaster, May won’t be allowed to fight another contest. She’ll go when the Tories feel they can manage another contest, and the election that would likely follow, when keeping her is judged to be more painful than losing her, or when a successor correctly judges they have the best chance of supplanting her.

For those who want to argue which prime ministers did best at choosing their departure dates, the Tory lawmaker and journalist Danny Finkelstein suggests: Pitt the Elder, the Earl of Derby, the Marquess of Salisbury, Ramsay Macdonald, Stanley Baldwin, Winston Churchill and Harold Wilson. Wilson, the most recent of those, was forty years ago. And that was after unexpected election victories. May has only an unexpected near-defeat under her belt."
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:26am   #50
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
More political cr@p for those interested !

Full source here: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...n-may-s-future

"After this year’s election disaster, May won’t be allowed to fight another contest. She’ll go when the Tories feel they can manage another contest, and the election that would likely follow, when keeping her is judged to be more painful than losing her, or when a successor correctly judges they have the best chance of supplanting her.

For those who want to argue which prime ministers did best at choosing their departure dates, the Tory lawmaker and journalist Danny Finkelstein suggests: Pitt the Elder, the Earl of Derby, the Marquess of Salisbury, Ramsay Macdonald, Stanley Baldwin, Winston Churchill and Harold Wilson. Wilson, the most recent of those, was forty years ago. And that was after unexpected election victories. May has only an unexpected near-defeat under her belt."
I think that she wants to go down in history as being the .......? I'll tell you what she is remembered for in ten years time. Taking cv out of Europe is as good an achievement as any, though, even if she does nothing else.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:19pm   #51
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Of course we have our very own Trump clone in Boris ?
But not my choice.
The Cons should be training up a replacement. Their Cabinet members have a nasty habit of sacking their leaders.
But then Labour has no up and coming stars that I have heard of. Blair is jumping up and down in the wings for a comeback.
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:38am   #52
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread I think it would be an obvious prediction that soon submarines will be obsolete from smart autonomous drone hunter killer subs that can be dropped by air anywhere.

Therefore Mrs. Poodle's £200 billion investment in 4 Trident subs will be obsolete and a complete waste of money.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...are/ar-AAqOsiI
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates

Last edited by Pat494; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:47am.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:48am   #53
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I think it would be an obvious prediction that soon submarines will be obsolete from smart autonomous drone hunter killer subs that can be dropped by air anywhere.

Therefore Mrs. Poodle's £200 billion investment in 4 Trident subs will be obsolete and a complete waste of money.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...are/ar-AAqOsiI
So do we scrap our current technology and invest in the futuristic dreams of young, imaginative engineers? When they can show it works - by all means. A bit dodgy to throw off our present suit of armour just yet, I would have thought.

PS - remember Defence Minister Duncan-Sandys "end of the manned aircraft" policy in the late 1950s? He was about 50 years too early also!
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:55am   #54
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3623431.html

Theresa May has indicated she will fight the next general election as she insisted: “I’m not a quitter.”

Not going quietly then? This woman just does NOT get it. They all like the power don't they?
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:46am   #55
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.
 
counter_violent's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3623431.html

Theresa May has indicated she will fight the next general election as she insisted: “I’m not a quitter.”

Not going quietly then? This woman just does NOT get it. They all like the power don't they?
Every picture I see of TM portrays her as awkward and clumsy. Also, she has a knack of not speaking when she needs to, or rising to the occasion. But even worse, she sometimes misses the point completely.

Tbh, I don't think she will have any say so in her departure, so her words are a bit meaningless.

There is growing support for the Moggster to stand. I've been following the betting odds for weeks now. He's nicely placed, about 3rd or 4th fav. Tories never elect favorites as leader, so that rules out Boris, Hammond and Davis.

Taken from the article.

Since Parliament has been in recess, this summer has seen suggestions that backbencher Jacob Rees-Mogg may be placed to take the helm.

So he needs a stalking horse to challenge the leader, as challenging directly would lead to failure.
__________________
Spreading the madness across this suite of forums.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:05am   #56
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Every picture I see of TM portrays her as awkward and clumsy. Also, she has a knack of not speaking when she needs to, or rising to the occasion. But even worse, she sometimes misses the point completely.

Tbh, I don't think she will have any say so in her departure, so her words are a bit meaningless.

There is growing support for the Moggster to stand. I've been following the betting odds for weeks now. He's nicely placed, about 3rd or 4th fav. Tories never elect favorites as leader, so that rules out Boris, Hammond and Davis.

Taken from the article.

Since Parliament has been in recess, this summer has seen suggestions that backbencher Jacob Rees-Mogg may be placed to take the helm.

So he needs a stalking horse to challenge the leader, as challenging directly would lead to failure.
Mogg is pure class, top man.
Stormy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:32am   #57
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Does he stand for anything notable ?
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:19am   #58
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Does he stand for anything notable ?
Yes – good old fashioned British values!

The Remainers won't like him because he is one of the few guys able to deal with them: he just puts it nice and simply – you're either in or you're out, none of this "let's stay in on a temporary basis until we can persuade the voting idiots that they got it wrong the first time". He's good at dealing with the usual left-wing specious arguments by knowing his facts and stating them clearly. With regard to Brexit he's been accused of wanting his cake and eating it. His response to that was "I like cake and I like eating it."

The political pundits don't rate him because he's never held office but you've only got to look at some of the candidates who have to see the fallacious nature of that argument. He's a very bright guy and incredibly rich and therefore doesn't need to be beholden to anyone – unlike many MPs who are more worried about their pension than their constituents. His father was editor of the Times when it was a decent newspaper before Murdoch got his hands on it so he's always been aware of public life.

He now has a very large following outside the Westminster bubble - 20K+ signatures on Moggmentum list – and seems to appeal to the youngsters, who if they bother to get off their ar$es could have a large influence on the next election.

As somebody has already said – a top guy and in my book, a refreshing alternative but like all politicians you don't know what they're like until they actually get there and by then it's too late.
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:11am   #59
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread One big yawn at the Tory Conference.
I regret to say Mogg and co can't galvanize any action.
I doubt Mrs Poodle would last to Xmas except there are no creditable contenders. Corbyn is an even worse prospect. Cable seems to think he may be what everyone is waiting for ! But I doubt it his time has long gone.
Some may say Boris but he is a sorta Trump clone.

More houses says May. Well the immigrants have to live somewhere I suppose. Devon and Cornwall have large spaces set aside for the builders to make more money so they should be happy.
__________________
Love your own area.
Long live NIMBYISM

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:04am   #60
Joined Feb 2002
Who was the last capable PM or Minister in this country?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)