Brexit - in or out

This is a discussion on Brexit - in or out within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by Atilla The in out vote is fast turning into a celebrity show without the facts and arguments ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:22pm   #61
Joined Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post

The in out vote is fast turning into a celebrity show without the facts and arguments on pro/con advantages and disadvantages.

That's politics for you!
Eric Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:31pm   #62
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
No - just that without a large number of foreign/immigrant workers it would.
But that has little to do with Brexit. When I lived in the UK, up until the early sixties, the NHS, bus services, all depended on foreign labour. In those days, Indians, Pakistanis, Jamaicans, but it was controlled better.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:08pm   #63

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
But that has little to do with Brexit. When I lived in the UK, up until the early sixties, the NHS, bus services, all depended on foreign labour. In those days, Indians, Pakistanis, Jamaicans, but it was controlled better.
No, it hasn't. That was the point of the post.
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:33pm   #64
Joined Nov 2001
But being in the EU does raise the problem of having uncontrolled foreigners coming in. Even if you stay in, but with certain restrictions on immigrants, as soon as they get legalised in the EU, they will be able to enter the UK as EU citizens.

Neverthesless, apart from that, it seems to me that a referendum will result in a Brexit and it is, probably, the best for the rest of us in the long run because the Brits, in general, are always moaning about themselves.

Sorry, guys, but it needs to be said. You are not good EU members.

Last edited by Splitlink; Feb 22, 2016 at 3:50pm.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:50pm   #65
Joined Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipsterPipstoffelees View Post
what on earth does political union have to do with immigration?

nobody is against immigration or migrant workers. What people are against is unrestricted and unchecked immigration.

The system we have now is just to open the door and allow anyone to come in to the UK whether they are qualified nurses or not, whether we need them here or not, whether they are criminals or not, whether they are qualified or useful in any way or not.

Better that we have a visa system just like most other countries do, and allow in as many migrant workers as we feel we need at any time. if we want 10,000 nurses then we issue 10,000 visas for nurses. Not complicated. Under a visa system we get the numbers we need, and we get the people with the skills we need, and lastly, it means that we can take migrants from all over the world and not just from the EU. So instead of the unemployed/unemployable Portuguese or Greeks, we can have qualified nurses from Asia, or anywhere else.

how do you not understand this?
Or........you could limit the immigration and raise the wages of nurses. Creating a greater supply of nurses. If you have a policy of guest workers to fill vacancies you are not investing in your nation. The guest workers leave , creating vacancies again.....and taking their experience with them.
TexasRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:12pm   #66
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipsterPipstoffelees View Post
what on earth does political union have to do with immigration?

nobody is against immigration or migrant workers. What people are against is unrestricted and unchecked immigration.

The system we have now is just to open the door and allow anyone to come in to the UK whether they are qualified nurses or not, whether we need them here or not, whether they are criminals or not, whether they are qualified or useful in any way or not.

Better that we have a visa system just like most other countries do, and allow in as many migrant workers as we feel we need at any time. if we want 10,000 nurses then we issue 10,000 visas for nurses. Not complicated. Under a visa system we get the numbers we need, and we get the people with the skills we need, and lastly, it means that we can take migrants from all over the world and not just from the EU. So instead of the unemployed/unemployable Portuguese or Greeks, we can have qualified nurses from Asia, or anywhere else.

how do you not understand this?
A visa system is fine, if you do not have poverty stricken neighbours. The EU has and the UK can thank its lucky stars that it is an island, otherwise there would be no stopping them. Ask an American whether visas are much good against Mexicans.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:44pm   #67
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
A visa system is fine, if you do not have poverty stricken neighbours. The EU has and the UK can thank its lucky stars that it is an island, otherwise there would be no stopping them. Ask an American whether visas are much good against Mexicans.
Lucky stars - I think not. Europeans have been flocking here since the credit crunch. As more disaster countries joined, more came. It's too late for a visa system
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:01pm   #68

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Why not England out and Scotland in ?
We could put tariffs on their whiskey etc. as it passes through. They would just love to do that to us if they could. We could get rid of all those stupid rules Brussells like to churn out and no need to pay for useless EU Parliaments ( yes both of them )
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:20pm   #69
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
But being in the EU does raise the problem of having uncontrolled foreigners coming in. Even if you stay in, but with certain restrictions on immigrants, as soon as they get legalised in the EU, they will be able to enter the UK as EU citizens.

Neverthesless, apart from that, it seems to me that a referendum will result in a Brexit and it is, probably, the best for the rest of us in the long run because the Brits, in general, are always moaning about themselves.

Sorry, guys, but it needs to be said. You are not good EU members.
Split, seriously, the EU in it's present format is a complete bag of poop and the enlightened know it.

The trouble with us Brits is.....we will only put up with nonsense for so long.....then when we've had enough....we kick ass !

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:56am   #70
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Split, seriously, the EU in it's present format is a complete bag of poop and the enlightened know it.

The trouble with us Brits is.....we will only put up with nonsense for so long.....then when we've had enough....we kick ass !
I was wondering when I was going to get an indignant answer!

You are right, cv, there is a hell of a lot wrong with Europe. Now, tell me that there is not a hell of a lot wrong with the UK.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:46am   #71

Joined Nov 2006
Boris the menace apparently doesn't think we should leave but simply that we can get a better deal because the rest of EU needs th UK. Needless to say UK does not need the Union of Europe.

One other sentiment to the debate irrespective of what we all think. Yesterday MR MARKET dumped the pound. AND we all know MR MARKET is always right. No need to shout about it.

There was a number 1.20 - thrown about. This is not a good signal imo. Might help with a one off boost to exports but long term view is that UK economy will be weaker as a consequence of a brexit.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:53am.
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: heye
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:54am   #72

Joined Nov 2006
Boris Johnson’s EU decision sent the pound plummeting this morning, as his dad called the move ‘career-ending’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/22/boris-...#ixzz40ynDgSir

I'd call it a personal selfish career gambling rather than pursuing the interest of London or the country...
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:18am   #73
Joined Jul 2008
Is there anything not wrong with any country
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:42am   #74

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Is it just me but I can think of more cons than pros for both of them.
Accountants and lawyers will be having a field day if the vote is out while they adjust the figures.
The top hogs will no doubt be hedging their bets whichever.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:56am   #75
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Boris Johnson’s EU decision sent the pound plummeting this morning, as his dad called the move ‘career-ending’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/22/boris-...#ixzz40ynDgSir

I'd call it a personal selfish career gambling rather than pursuing the interest of London or the country...
Do you really believe London won't flourish outside of the EU?