NEW Political SYSTEM

This is a discussion on NEW Political SYSTEM within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Can anyone seriously suggest a better system than the current one ? Just for starters - how about drawing up ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3, 2006, 2:31pm   #1

Joined Mar 2004
NEW Political SYSTEM

Can anyone seriously suggest a better system than the current one ?
Just for starters - how about drawing up a list of contenders for the post of Member of Parliament.
This list is thinned out to about 600 members by a knockout series of tests.
After the 600 are selected a cabinet of about 30 is selected the same way from this number, and a Prime Minister is selected from the 30.

P.S. Someone should tell the cleaners at govt. offices that the stain on the floor of Jonny 2 Jags office - you know the one that looks like a map of Australia wasn't made by the moggy after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
You too will be a pensioner one day.
If you live long enough.

Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:45pm   #2

Joined Jan 2004
it wont work.
no matter which system you develop, it will always be administered by people.
ALL systems are capable of working perfectly, but are corrupted by conflicting agendas of people.
the consistent weak link is human beings.
sad, but true. ( I am not misanthropic or a pessimist, by the way, merely a keen observer )

give it a whirl anyway.
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:14pm   #3

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie
it wont work.
no matter which system you develop, it will always be administered by people.
ALL systems are capable of working perfectly, but are corrupted by conflicting agendas of people.
the consistent weak link is human beings.
sad, but true. ( I am not misanthropic or a pessimist, by the way, merely a keen observer )

give it a whirl anyway.
You have hit the proverbial right on Trendie. What I was proposing was the selection of better qualified people. Not just academically but also morally and other factors such as honesty, integrity, public speaking, etc.etc.
Adolph Hitler WAS elected by the clapped out old system. Stalin would have been too, except there was no point in having an election where the result had already been decided - himself to be leader.
I don't think Democracy gives us the leadership we need. Perhaps one of the tests could be a sanity test or warmongering ?? In my opinion the bar should be raised high enough to keep out the sleazey lot from both parties or would that narrow the field too much ? Unatural selection perhaps ??
If you live long enough.

Old May 3, 2006, 5:36pm   #4
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
How about some wisdom from the Oval office?

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator,"
GW. Bush
Old May 3, 2006, 5:54pm   #5
Joined Dec 2003
"it wont work.
no matter which system you develop, it will always be administered by people."...that's just not right strictly speaking!
I am proposing that to be elected you must be able to supply a bona fide death certificate ..ok..this is on the basis that at least 80% of the time the appropriate action is to do absolutely nothing and I can't think of anyone more fitted to doing that than a bunch of corpses.
If we could just get politicians to understand this by convincing them that their term in office would be much extended if they just went on holiday more and 'screwed' about less (sorry JP) with the status quo then we could reduce the cost of rectifying **** ups and supporting public sector pensions with sufficient to entitle us all to a lovely tax cut in perpetuity.
When you think about it if politicans did even more of the old JP wriggle and tried to do less 'work' we might even be on a winner !
This brings into consideration a financial conundrum...would it be cost effective to fix each of them up with a bit on the side.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:58pm   #6

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker
How about some wisdom from the Oval office?

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator,"
GW. Bush
Thank God he isn't yet - the guy is a walking disaster imo. Hopefully the selection tests would fail him on the sanity and common sense tests.
The electorate couldn't spot the worst despot in human history, nor him either. Methinks they should be relieved of their responsibility - they are obviously not up to the job!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you live long enough.

Old May 4, 2006, 6:52am   #7

Joined Dec 2004
How about just good old fashioned accountability. These people don.t give a flying feck as long as they're ok. Hit them where it hurts in their pockets and ********.
millsy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:11am   #8

Joined Dec 2001
What I find strange is the fact that the majority of voters didn't want Tony Blair or Margaret Thatcher as PM, even when they won with huge majorities. They get to do whatever they want for 4 or 5 years with 45% or less of the votes.

If the best MP for a cabinet job is not allowed to do the job because they are not in the elected party, we have to put up with second best for at least 4 years, sometimes decades go by with the wrong people doing the job.

I would like to see the best people doing the cabinet jobs, irrespective of what party they are attached to. Perhaps the cabinet should be divided in proportion to the votes each of the 3 main parties have. The party with the majority chooses the PM and the other jobs are awarded by an elected board of directors that are responsible for their actions and can hire and fire when they want to. That way, there is a better chance of having the best person for each job and they will have to perform or they will be replaced.
Bigbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote